Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tow Strap Tragedy

blake

Life Member
Tow Strap Tragedy

Jerome Miller, 63, of Marengo died in an incident Thursday around 1:46 p.m. in a snowy farm field east of the intersection of 225th Street and NN Avenue in rural Williamsburg. Reports indicate that a group of hunters was trying to free a pickup stuck in the snow, using a tow strap attached to a second pickup, when the tow strap failed. A portion of the strap struck and killed Miller, officials said.

My whole time growing up I was told to never use a tow strap but rather use a chain. For that exact reason too. That would be horrible

I was pulling my buddy out one time with a custom tow strap that would flex like a rubber band. It was made for pulling semis out of the ditch. About the 5th pull, my hitch receiver broke and that strap hit his tailgate and severely damaged it. If it would of missed the tailgate there is no doubt my buddy could of been killed. Thoughts and prayers to the family.

My whole time growing up I was told to never use a tow strap but rather use a chain. For that exact reason too. That would be horrible

same can happen when a chain breaks to, seen it happen usually makes a hell of a racket. I was always told to stay the H#%& back regardless what you are using. I have seen them break and go thru the back windows of truck before. Bad deal all around for sure.

Sad story, always tie as short as you can, gives the strap or chain less travel if it breaks.

Agreed, it is also good form to lay a blanket, coat, rug, etc, over the tow chain so if it does break the material laying over the chain can absorb some of the energy and prevent a "wild" ricochet of the chain or hooks on the end. As someone else said too...stay back from tight chain too.

This man that was killed in this accident had a piece of the strap or hook or something come through his back window and hit him in the head, killing him. It might seem like an over reaction, but it would be good to put a piece of plywood over the rear window, blocking your head from a potential flying piece of chain.

I have learned the exact opposite. When I was younger i would travel to Dresser, Wi. for their annual Memorial Weekend Off Road Rally. This is a BIG event with around a thousand trucks/buggies every year. At the tech inspection the first thing they ask for is your fire extinguisher, and the second is if you have any chains in your vehicle. NO CHAINS ALLOWED! A streched chain can hold WAY more energy than a strap, so a chain is never advised to "jerk" a vehicle out, only to dead pull with no slack.
I wonder if they had a clevis or hook on one end and a piece of the truck failed and let the clevis fly back. Ive also seen a strap used around a ball hitch, snapping it off clean sending the ball on a 200 mph race to the tailgate. Ive broken 5 or 6 straps while wheeling and none of them ever caused any damage because they were properly fastened on both ends.
Just my experience

Let a chain get ya! Have a friend thats about 60.........has the mind of a 8 yr. old cause of a chain break! Next!!!!!!

same can happen when a chain breaks to, seen it happen usually makes a hell of a racket. I was always told to stay the H#%& back regardless what you are using. I have seen them break and go thru the back windows of truck before. Bad deal all around for sure.

Just worked on a guys semi trailer today.. known him for years.. he had a chain break once while trying to pull a semi tractor, came through the back window and hit him in the face/eye as he was looking back while pulling forward.. not a 100 percent sure but I think he is blind in that eye and that side of his face is still pretty messed up

Ive seen hooks and chain links go all the way through tailgates before, I would hate to see what would happen if it hit someone with that kind of energy.

Top Bottom