Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Trailcam Tip #2

vman

Trailcams

This is the Time of the year when you should be thinking about what kind of camera to buy for the upcoming season. Their are many different kinds and manufactures out their. Should you go with a 35mm, digital, or video? Their are many different ways to look at this, first ask yourself these questions.
#1. How many months out of the year will I use this. Take what you come up with, and double it. Trust me, you will use it more than you think!
#2. What kind of location will this be setup on, bait(during non hunting months), trails or feeding areas.
#3. What is the local deer population, lots of deer, or a few deer.
#4. How far to the local 1 hour photo store. If your like me, you cant wait a couple days to get it back, gotta have it now!
#5. How often can I check the system.

The main two types of cameras systems are the 35mm and the Digitals. The digitals do cost more, but in the long run they are cheaper. Look at it this way, the cost of film and developing is somewhere around 8-10 dollars. Depending on how much you use the 35m setup, it doesn't take long to justify the digital setup. Also, the digitals will usually hold more photos than can be taken on a 35mm. So, if your in a high density deer area, a digital may be your only option since you can take 10 times the pictures than a 35mm with most setups.

The other option is a video system. If you have a feeder setup, this is the only option in my mind. Some deer only come into the feeders for a short amount of time. If the film or digital camera is in a delay, you run the risk of missing that big buck. With the videocams, you still have a small risk of missing that big buck, but its much less than the other setups.

Overall, when buying a system, look at the cost to operate it film cost, battery cost, and the cost to replace(in case some looser walks away with it). Then decide what is best for you.

Top Bottom