Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Transporting redneck blind

mzldr4life

I’ve got a buddy who is letting me use his redneck blind for youth season with my son. It’s on a 4’ stand I think, the shorter stand, on a utility trailer. What do you guys recommend for hauling down the road? Figured I would throw a couple extra straps on it and wasn’t sure on the windows. I’ve gotta drive 40 miles, so planned on going 40mph or so. Just don’t want to see it roll down the road into grandma’s wind shield.

I’ve got a buddy who is letting me use his redneck blind for youth season with my son. It’s on a 4’ stand I think, the shorter stand, on a utility trailer. What do you guys recommend for hauling down the road? Figured I would throw a couple extra straps on it and wasn’t sure on the windows. I’ve gotta drive 40 miles, so planned on going 40mph or so. Just don’t want to see it roll down the road into grandma’s wind shield.
I’d probably end up having a disaster. I’d be tempted to get a pop-up blind and avoid the risks. I’m not very adventurous at the age of 74.
Let us know how your hunt goes. Making memories! Good luck!

I would remove the 5 ft. frame from the stand and transport separate. Also, use the eye bolts built into the blind for securing it to the trailer..Do not run straps over the top of the blind.

I bought one this summer and had to trailer it home an hour. The dealer said to not use the eye bolts for securing it, but rather to use multiple straps going over the roof. Drove no faster than 45 at any point. Had to stop twice to readjust straps. He seemed to want them relatively tight, but not overly tight. I don't know what other measures you'd have to take having it already mounted up on the trailer stand. If it's bolted down substantially, maybe running large straps in an X pattern would get the job done. 35mph would be safer than 40! I'm probably in the Pops camp... buy a cheap tent for youth season. We shot two wallhangers from ameristep tents last season.

I bought one this summer and had to trailer it home an hour. The dealer said to not use the eye bolts for securing it, but rather to use multiple straps going over the roof. Drove no faster than 45 at any point. Had to stop twice to readjust straps. He seemed to want them relatively tight, but not overly tight. I don't know what other measures you'd have to take having it already mounted up on the trailer stand. If it's bolted down substantially, maybe running large straps in an X pattern would get the job done. 35mph would be safer than 40! I'm probably in the Pops camp... buy a cheap tent for youth season. We shot two wallhangers from ameristep tents last season.
I'm surprised the dealer told you to transport that way. Redneck puts the eye bolts in just for transporting the blind..The roof bends and you can damage the fiberglass putting straps over the top of the blind..I've had 11 -12 rednecks delivered over the years, some from redneck direct, and some thru dealers. They all come transported through the eye bolts.To the original poster, call Redneck and see what they recommend...

When I trailered one, Redneck suggested I bolt the blind straight to the trailer. They withstand high winds in the field from those exact bolts, so it made sense to me and trailered just fine. Blind was not on the tower when I did it. 75 MPH on Interstate.

When I trailered one, Redneck suggested I bolt the blind straight to the trailer. They withstand high winds in the field from those exact bolts, so it made sense to me and trailered just fine. Blind was not on the tower when I did it. 75 MPH on Interstate.
That's how I transported mine too

I was also told that's the preferred method if you have a wood deck trailer to drill through. I had an aluminum trailer, so he told me to strap over the top. Hoping someone asks the company.

Good point about bolting them down too. I forgot that when Redneck delivered they bolt them down to their trailer.

Based upon personal experience, I can tell you what NOT to do. :)

Do NOT rely on the factory supplied pallet that they come on. (It doesn't sound like this is applicable to the OP situation though.) I had a pallet break in transport due to pretty janky wood...well that allowed the otherwise firmly attached blind to "bounce" as it now had about 6" more inches of "travel" and that came close to leading to a catastrophe on the highway. Yikes!

Thankfully I saw "movement" in my rear view mirror and pulled over to investigate before the thing bounced free and then out into traffic, etc! I was not happy with the manufacturers choice of cheap pallet wood!

Also, secure the windows...don't just close and latch them. A big plastic blind could flex enough at highway speeds that lets the window latches slip enough that the windows will then pop open and flap around, etc. This is true of at least one brand of blind, perhaps others, I don't know.

Just got my new blind all placed yesterday then started going through the literature and saw this.

20240905_185158.jpg

Transported one today. Two lags into my wood trailer deck , one 3 in strap over the top. Doesn’t move.

Attachments

• IMG_2384.jpeg
    IMG_2384.jpeg
    262.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2383.jpeg
    IMG_2383.jpeg
    349.1 KB · Views: 20
Top Bottom