Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tree Regeneration project

iowathumper

I have a bottom area along the river that floods most every year, sometimes as many as 4 times in single year. /><O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
This year we have been close once, a few weeks ago.<O:p></O:p>
The area is 8.5 total acres divide into two pieces divided by a 100 ft piece of timber.<O:p></O:p>
It was logged 4 yeas ago leaving the tree tops, along with debris the river has dropped off over the years, and of course the dreaded Canary Grass that took over after the clear cut.<O:p></O:p>
I tried getting down there early in the spring to spray the area, yet always had to deal with the flooding so usually ended up hitting after the grass was already several ft high.<O:p></O:p>
I have had a little success with soft maples coming back here and there. Yet there are many areas void of trees on this ground.<O:p></O:p>
So the State forester, and I decided to try a regeneration project on this site.<O:p></O:p>
I will refer to the two areas as the West and East sides.<O:p></O:p>
Last fall we went in with a dozer and cleared the site of all debris left over from the clear cut, along with tree debris left after flooding over the years.<O:p></O:p>
I was able to get in there this spring and spray roundup over entire site and then planted the trees below.<O:p></O:p>
The west side we planted 26 trees 3-4 Ft varieties are Bur Oak Swamp Oak, Pin oak, Shagbark along with these we scattered 50 12” Bur Oak we got free. <O:p></O:p>
The east side has 167 3-5 Ft tree in the same species as above planted in 20 Ft rows, and spaced 20 Ft apart.<O:p></O:p>
All trees have 5 ft tree tubes except for the 50 12” oak which we put 2-1/2 ft tubes on.<O:p></O:p>
So here is where I am at today down there. <O:p></O:p>
The river did flood some of the area couple weeks ago, and after it went down I sprayed each area as described below.<O:p></O:p>
The west side I sprayed a 4 ft wide strip the length of the row (2 Ft on each side of the tree rows) on the 26 trees, and sprayed a 2 ft circle around the scattered 50 trees. <O:p></O:p>
There is some Canary grass on the outside edge of this area to the north that has already hit seed stage. To big of an area, and except for a back pack sprayer would never be able to spray it all.<O:p></O:p>
There is a lot of broadleaf vegetation growing on the actual tree site. (I think the main one is Nettle) The plan was to let the surrounding soft maple tree seeds regenerate this whole area. But, in order to get the funding for this project we had to use some of this site to plant the remaining # of trees (26) which we put into rows on the east end of the site and then came across these 50 Free bur oaks and decided to scattered them across the site as well.<O:p></O:p>
The east side we sprayed the same 4 ft wide strip and I went ahead and mowed the remaining area that was not sprayed. I did this because at this stage the soft maples that were sprouting were only about 2” high and I new I would not harm them. I was afraid the broadleaf weeds that were coming up would block out the new soft maples from growing.<O:p></O:p>
My questions at this point are:<O:p></O:p>
1) Should I let the soft maples grow on the East side or just keep mowing that area. Original thought was just the tree planting on this side not letting the soft maples regenerate. Now I am thinking it might be a benefit to the tree planting to let these grow and maybe block out the canary grass.<O:p></O:p>
2) Should I go in to the 2 areas and spot spray any canary grass that comes up during the summer and risk harming any growing soft maples that are in the canary grass I am spraying?<O:p></O:p>
3) This fall is there anything I can spray across the entire site of both areas that will kill back any canary grass or keep it from coming back next spring with out harming the new soft maples?<O:p></O:p>
4) Is there a mix or Pre emergent I can spray next spring to prevent weeds growing in the 4 ft strips down the rows.

<O:p> </O:p>
If you go to my albums you can see a few pictures dated 06-01-11 and the most recent ones dated 05-04-11

Last edited:
You can kill canary grass anytime with Clethodim and crop oil. It will not hurt the trees. I am gonna guess that Canary grass is gonna need a heavier dose of Clethodim BUT I'm not 100% sure on that.
Sometime after the trees have gone dormant, you can hit with Oust & maybe some simizine or atrazine or a host of other herbicies, if you do it right you'll keep weeds down along trees. Read the Tree planting thread in Dbltree's management area.

The other areas, if you don't want canary grass, you could kill it off and try and get some other things established, maybe like a Gama Grass or POSSIBLY some native grasses- may be too wet for some of them. Gama Grass would almost for sure work. Could plant shrubs that do well in wet ground OR oaks like swamp oak, etc OR walnut, etc.

Top Bottom