Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

TSS thoughts?

Darrin

Who’s made the switch? Is it worth it?

I’ve shot my last (and only) 5 birds with 3 1/2 inch double x 4s or 5s. I mis-judged the distance on one last week and was left with only a few feathers.

I can’t help but wonder if TSS would’ve got him.

I picked up a box of the Federal 3rd degrees today. A little bit of a stretch to call it TSS since it’s a combo of lead 6s, copper plated 5s and TSS 7s, but it does look better on paper when I shot it tonight.

I immediately go to the price (as I put $70 worth of fuel in my truck). I suppose if I was on a turkey tour and shooting a bunch of times a year it’d be more of an issue, but relative to the cost of everything else I think I should be able to rationalize it. Just crazy to think every trigger pull is going to cost you a ten spot.

yes the tss works great for me. Seems to hammer them & the smaller shot size puts more bbs in the kill zone. usually shoot 2 times a year.

The price per shot does keep me from shooting coyotes when they come in.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Each person has to decide for themselves. Is it effective-yes. Is it expensive-yes.
Much like the gut who hunts with a $300 open sight slug gun vs a guy with a custom slug gun, customized turret scope.... up to each to decide what is best for them.
It is hard to beat winchester longbeards in my 12 ga. But I shoot a 410 guage now and tss is wonderful. Very effective. But if I was still shooting a 12 ga....longbeards work well for me.

Each person has to decide for themselves. Is it effective-yes. Is it expensive-yes.
Much like the gut who hunts with a $300 open sight slug gun vs a guy with a custom slug gun, customized turret scope.... up to each to decide what is best for them.
It is hard to beat winchester longbeards in my 12 ga. But I shoot a 410 guage now and tss is wonderful. Very effective. But if I was still shooting a 12 ga....longbeards work well for me.

Longbeards is what I’ll likely switch to next year. Those federals are hanging in my gun for some reason.

That’s pretty wild shooting them with a .410 though

yes the tss works great for me. Seems to hammer them & the smaller shot size puts more bbs in the kill zone. usually shoot 2 times a year.

The price per shot does keep me from shooting coyotes when they come in.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I hear ya on the coyotes. I’ve thought about packing the .22 for all the damn coons.

I am still shooting Hevi 13 2oz 3”#6’s. My 870 absolutely loves this shell and it has accounted for many birds over the years. They have been discontinued but fortunately I think I may have enough shells to last me the rest of my turkey hunting days.

I bought a box of 3 inch 5 shot remington turkey shells in 2018. Only shells I've every used. I've killed 4 birds with them just fine and dad got one with them as well. Furthest was this past sunday at probably 35 yards. I dont think I would push it much further though, but then again, I dont want to shoot a turkey any further. Its fun having them close. Reading about people shooting turkeys out at 60-80 yards doesnt seem fair.

410 TSS is a ton of fun for turkey hunting. Would have to think the 12 gauge TSS loads are rockets hitting 'em!

I like em for my son out of his 20g. I use the 3" #9s. Helps extend his range.

For me I just shoot cheap 3 1/2" #4s or 5 Kent shells for turkeys. Never shot one past 45yds, usually try to get them in closer and if they don't come closer, I'll just go work the next bird. I'm cheap when it comes to turkeys. No way I'll drop that much per shell for myself. Kids I certainly will though.

Top Bottom