Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Turkey Broadheads

muddy

Here are a few broadheads that I've used on birds over the past few years. I'll try to post more as I get more pictures.

1. Rocket MiniBlaster & Rocket Sidewinder. Both put the birds down but I prefered the larger cutting diameter of the MiniBlaster.

411Sidewinder_Miniblaster.jpg

2. Rocket Hammerhead 4L - This is the blade I'm using this spring. It has a 2 inch cutting diameter and has 4 blades. It's not good for shooting through mesh because of the "L" shape on the ends of the blades. I think that this broadhead is going to be the cat's meow.

411HammerHead4L.jpg

3. Muzzy in various combos. I've used Muzzy's on damn near everything you can in the state. I LOVE these heads. I've killed birds with straight Muzzy's, Muzzy's with adder heads behind them, and the Muzzy Turkey Thumper. Muzzy's with nothing behind them or the Thumpers can be shot through mesh with no problem. When you put an adder head or grasshopper head behind them you'd best not try it. The following photo is a Muzzy and then the Muzzy Turkey Thumper. The Thumper has 2 dull blades for shocking power and to stop the broadhead in the bird.

411Muzzy_Thumper.jpg

The next photo is of a Muzzy with the grasshopper stopper behind it and the Muzzy with the adder stopper behind it. Stuck in there is also a Miniblaster for perspective.

411BroadheadsDiffs-med.JPG

4. Gobbler Guillotine - These heads look wicked. I'd love to try them but they are probably the most expensive and biggest pains in the butt that I've read about. They have a cutting diameter of up to 4 inches and you must put the head together in the blind. The big plastic things are fins to help them fly/rotate through the air. When they hit the bird in the neck/head the fins are designed to fly off. Many people think that the broadhead is breaking, but this is untrue. You must also shoot these on a special arrow that is uber long so that it sticks out in front of your sight.

411GGwithSheaths_1_.jpg

Ok, here's a few more that I've not used, but heard good things about.

Here's the adder point that you can put behind broadheads, I've used it behind a muzzy but wanted a better close up shot of it for you all.

411Adder.jpg

Here's a blunt, used only for head shots.

411Blunt.jpg

This is the New Archery Products Gobbler Getter. It combines a blunt tip for slowing the head down along with 3 expandable blades. I've not used them, but heard good things about them.

411NAPbroadheads.jpg

The next is the Teken broadhead which has a cut on contact tip with 2 expandable blades. They look mean.

411TekenHead.jpg

Vortec expandables bring new meaning to the words "cutting diameter". They are usually two bladed heads that offer maximum cutting diameters and sharp blades. I've never used them but think they'd work great as well.

411VortecBroadheads.jpg

Last, but not least, is Limb Chickens favorite turkey head, the Wasp JakHammer. They are great heads and can be adjusted to give different sized cutting diameters.

411WaspBroadheads.jpg

Muddy, I see that after watching the video of pet turkeys getting blasted with the Gobbler Guillotines last year that you got some. Have you had the chance to wack a gobbler with them yet? I'm curious how they fly & how well they work?

Nice work Muddy.....gets the blood pumping thinking about this upcoming season.

Sorry Muddy, I see you answered my questions in your original post, guess I should have read throughly 1st instead of assuming?
crazy.gif

No problem 203. I hear that the Double Bull boys have taken on the GG and had GREAT success this past year. The fins snap onto the blades and help to stabilize the arrow immediately after it leaves the bow. I am very impressed by these heads, just not impressed on the heads.
smile.gif
I'm still working on trying to figure out how to get one to try for myself.

Right on Two Beards, I was hoping you'd bring this one to attention. Here's a pic for easier viewing.

Sledgehammer Broadheads: 150 grains, 3 1/2" cutting diameter, with three 0.027" stainless steel blades.

411Sledgehammer.jpg

Good friends with the guys up at Double Bull and the GG is the way to go after seeing their (Double Bull) and the GG video at Scheels in Des Moines! Let the bodies hit the floor!

Muddy,

Last year I had some success with NAP's Spitfire broadheads ... they're basically the same thing as the Gobbler Getter minus the blunt tip. It really opened that bird up and the arrow stayed in him. As far as shooting them through a blind goes, I wouldn't know because - call me CRAZY - I prefer to chase my archery gobblers without one! I'm not saying this is the smartest way to go, but I LOVE IT - TALK ABOUT INTENSE!!! It's just around the corner and I can hardly wait!!!
-Longspurs-

longspurs
smile.gif
you are a nut for trying it without a blind. I did that for 3 or 4 years before I finally broke down and got my first double bull. Thanks for posting on the NAP Spitfires, I didn't put them up here because there are just so many damn broadheads out there these days!!

As this is my first year giving turkeys a try with my bow, do the broadheads destroy the meat? I have some Jackhammer 100's on the way and wondered if I would have much left to bring home after one of those went ripping through. Just curious.

I'd rather have a slightly mangled bird instead of it not being killed. My expandables did rip a bit of the meat up but I just take it with a grain of salt as I was just happy to kill the darn thing. Limb uses JakHammers with great success (he's the man when it comes to turkeys) so I say use them and GOOD LUCK!

Cool. I agree on killing the thing being first priority, but there's noting like a wild turkey in the Brinkman smoker in late April.

Danno - I switched halfway through season, just for gitts and shiggles. Went to the Gobbler Guillotine, track job was about 4 feet!
grin.gif

411Decapitation.jpg

Holy macaroni Muddy!! That thing absolutely destroyed that neck lets see a shotgun do that. I used the Goldtip Gladiators last year and stalked up on a struttin tom shot him through the bunghole came out the front he only ran about 15 yards and put one hell of a hole in him. You must be one heck of a shot to get him in the neck or was it luck? lol

Top Bottom