Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Turkey hunting regulations.....

Cornfed

Bowhunting Addict
Does anyone know of a good email source for asking hunting regulation questions?

Is it permissible/legal for my father who will be visiting from out of state, to go afield with me while I bowhunt spring turkey. He will have no weapons or calls in his possession..... possibly a video camera.

technically i think he'd have to have a hunting license and turkey license but if you got caught and he's holding a video camera the CO would probably understand, but don't take the chance on what i think!

I heard the same a muddy, up to you if you want to chance it but I think he needs a permit. I was told a guide needs a tag for the same season if he wished to take a client out and call for them as well.

On page 2 of the 2002 Turkey regs, it states that a RESIDENT hunter with a valid license for any zone or season can accompany, call or otherwise assist another hunter who has a valid license for any zone and season.

NONRESIDENTS can only assist other hunters in the same zone and season indicated on their license.

The hunter assisting cannot shoot a turkey or carry a firearm or bow unless he has an unused tag for the current season and zone. Also CANNOT place your tag on a turkey somebody else shot.

So, that regulation says your father CANNOT go with you unless he has a license for the season and zone you're hunting. For $189.50 and luck through the quota, he can go along (except in Seaon 2-no nonresident licenses available that season) and can carry both a camcorder and a gun until he fills his tag, then could only carry the video camera. You can't shoot a turkey for him even if he has a tag and chooses to only carry the camera.

If you know your local DNR officer really well and he hasn't been made cynical by dealing with years of BS of people trying to get around the law, maybe he would be understanding and choose to look the other way, spirit of the law thing rather than literal enforcement. But I wouldn't take it for granted--now that the fees have gone up, he may have already run across a few nonres with less than honorable intentions who claimed they were just along for the ride.

[This message has been edited by GDCooper (edited 04-09-2002).]

I really think the DNR has gone too far with this law. Assisting vs. Watching are two differnt things.

Does this also mean you can't take your kid out gobbler huntin? How do we expect to pass this on to our kids if they can't go watch the parent on a hunt?

I think the NR fees are way out of whack. $180 is outrageous for a turkey. I see the day when other states take notice of IOWA's high fees and they do the same to IOWA residents by way of reciprocity laws. There are some So Iowa die hard turkey hunters who hunt Missouri and what if they were charged $180 a tag? You can go out west and hunt big game species for the price of an IOWA NR turkey tag!

A NR can go to Alaska and hunt caribou for $325 or come to Iowa and hunt deer for $309.50. Iowa needs to get their house in order or Iowa residents will some day pay the price when they want to hunt out of state.

How can videotaping (no intention of taking,harvesting,or even harming) game require a valid hunting license ? This sounds absolutely stupid ! How is this assisting a hunter to take game ? Unless the camera makes turkey noises !

It does seem they manage to come up with strange regulations.... perhaps some of this comes with 'hunters' abusing the regulations. I would love to take my dad along on one of the hunts, but seeing he is only going to be in town for a week and we would only get to go out one morning... there is no way I would suggest he pay $180 to go along on my hunt.........

As long as the person accompanying a hunter is not participating in the hunt (whether deer, turkey, whatever) they do not need to purchase a license.

What everyone was quoting in the regulations pertains to someone aiding in the hunt, and in those incidences (such as calling, shooting) they would need a license.

So in answer to the original question there is no problem with the hunter's father going afield with him to video or just watch the hunt. The same is true if you want to bring your son, daughter, wife or a friend to video or just watch.

Doug Clayton

State Conservation Officer

Thanks Blind Sow, I was under the impression that no one could go with you regardless, unless they had a tag, that is good news for a lot of people I'm sure.

muddy

Top Bottom