Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Turkey Poult concerns slightly relieved….

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
I had about 1/2 a 5 gallon bucket of some feed with corn mixed in. Through it in front of camera. This is the first pics I’ve got of poults. I dunno why but I’ve been lacking the sightings. Hopefully it’s just because im blind or they are hiding. I have no raccoons left - extinct - so that’s not it. Lots of rain this spring - wonder if those nests could have got too wet? Anyways- was relieved to get this!!!! :)

12.jpeg

I am seeing such a big difference in size. Some poults are about 3/4 grown while others look like they just hatched. I have not seen this much size variation in the past. Are others seeing/noticing this?

For the last 3 springs we have had a hen nesting on my Lucas co home farm that was fitted with a transmitter. Yesterday i got a call from one of the biologist that they had a mortality signal and asked if they could go look. Unfortunately that was the case he said 50% chance disease and 50/chance predator. Also of note this hen spends most of her time on state land over 2 miles away.

Attachments

• 2024071295132426.jpeg
    2024071295132426.jpeg
    246.1 KB · Views: 29
I have not seen any in Minnesota. My gut says there has ti be some in Iowa? Maybe it was too wet ? I just don’t know yet..

Finally had a hen with a "few" poults on my place yesterday. I saw 2-3 but may have been more in the weeds. They were the size of a quail, so assuming a very late clutch.
Good to see any.

Top Bottom