Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Turkeys

BOWDUDE

Just wandering if anyone is seeing the a ton of turkeys. I think pheasents may be the bird of the past in Iowa. I like to turkey hunt as much as anyone but man they are eveywhere in Southeastern Iowa.

I've seen a few, but around here their aren't a big number of birds like in southern iowa.

Saw my first rooster Sunday afternoon while changing into my hunting clothes. It was walking down a dirt road that I was parked on. I think last winters ice did a number on the pheasants. I would have figured the turkeys would be hurting too but I've seen more turkeys this fall than ever before.

Several evening I've hunted along the edge of a CRP field. In the past towards dark you would see or hear pheasants flying in to roost. I'm not seeing them this year but can spend the entire afternoon watching turkeys poke around the CRP. Its sort of fun to watch their heads come up like periscopes as they wander around. One of these nights I might have to get out of the stand and try and bushwhack one...

Patrick

Top Bottom