Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Turnip Plot Advice

Big8s1992

Hey all,

Been prepping a 3ac lush clover plot for turnips & radishes. I mowed it short, waited & sprayed an avg rate mix of gly & 24d. Noticed last weekend when I checked it that most of the clover was going to survive just fine so I upped the rates and sprayed a 2nd time. There are a few patches that are still trying as of this weekend but got a good kill on most.

Anyway, I was going to lightly till this under, spray again at planting, broadcast the seed and pack. WELL now I will not have access to a tiller. I do not have a drill.

What are your thoughts on the seed to soil contact I'll get with just broadcasting & dragging/packing into the clover thatch ahead of some rain? I've added some pics of the thatch..some spots have heavier thatch than others. Would you burn it off? Hate to lose all that soil moisture heading into August.

IMG_6503.jpg
IMG_6520.PNG.jpg
IMG_6521.PNG.jpg

What rates and exact chemical did you spray? That will end up back as a clover field imo.

Don you have access to any equipment? Available options will dictate next step.

I had been borrowing a buddy's small compact and rear tine tiller but he had a major breakdown. I have a fourwheeler, various drags, & a small pull behind disc & a cultipacker. I would put in the time with the disc but I dont think it's heavy enough to do anything more than scratch up the clover thatch with the ground drying up right now.

Sprayed 2-4D Amine (47% active) at 2oz/gal & Buccaneer Plus (I think is the normal 41%) gly 4oz/gal.

Judging from the pics, enought soil exposed to broadcast brassicas.

Getting fertilizer incorporated is a concern though.
I'm in northern MN so my dates are tighter.
Depending on where you are, you still may have time to apply fertilizer, dig it in, wait a couple weeks, spray n plant.
Brassicas want fertilizer!.
I'd use only gly though.

I had been borrowing a buddy's small compact and rear tine tiller but he had a major breakdown. I have a fourwheeler, various drags, & a small pull behind disc & a cultipacker. I would put in the time with the disc but I dont think it's heavy enough to do anything more than scratch up the clover thatch with the ground drying up right now.

Sprayed 2-4D Amine (47% active) at 2oz/gal & Buccaneer Plus (I think is the normal 41%) gly 4oz/gal.
Herbicide should be expressed in chemical per acre. How many gallons of total spray solution is your sprayer putting out per acre?

I'm not a fan of amine 24d. Ester formulation seems to work much better.

4 wheeler and drag Will def work!

It puts down ~10 gal/ac.

So you’d recommend broadcast seed into thatch as is and drag in ahead of some good rain? Would you pack after dragging or just leave the rain to do the work? The soil is fantastic so as for N I was just going to broadcast urea ahead of rain after they come up

It puts down ~10 gal/ac.

So you’d recommend broadcast seed into thatch as is and drag in ahead of some good rain? Would you pack after dragging or just leave the rain to do the work? The soil is fantastic so as for N I was just going to broadcast urea ahead of rain after they come up
Where are you located? (Just general location) I’m up in north Iowa and my tractor and tiller are just sitting here this year- buddy doesn’t think he’s doing anything now and I’ve got corn and a weed field that I am going to try a whole different idea (not a good idea but we will see)

Where are you located? (Just general location) I’m up in north Iowa and my tractor and tiller are just sitting here this year- buddy doesn’t think he’s doing anything now and I’ve got corn and a weed field that I am going to try a whole different idea (not a good idea but we will see)
I’m in South Central Iowa. What idea you going to try?

It puts down ~10 gal/ac.

So you sprayed 20 oz per acre 24d and 40 oz per acre gly.

With your 4# 24d I'd be spraying 32 oz per acre and 64 oz per acre gly. And switch to Ester 24d.

I would drag, broadcast, pack. I would not drag after seeding.

2-4D Amine at 1.5 pints per acre you need to wait 10-14 days before broadcasting brassica due to residual in soil.

If you sprayed it a second time without waiting the 10-14 days...then I'd wait 20-30 days before broadcasting brassica due to soil residual.

On label you will notice it generally says 1 pint per acre wait 14 days to seed soybeans & 2 pints per acre wait 30 days to seed soybeans....if you already broadcast your brassica keep in mind you may need to reseed...let us know how it turns out.

Top Bottom