Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Underwater cameras

iowabucks

Surely there has been a few posts on these but i couldn't come up with anything in a search.

I have been thinking seriously about getting an underwater camera. At first i thought it's just another expensive toy, but from the people i have talked to this winter that do use them, they wouldn't do it any other way.

The icefishing season will be over pretty soon, and i would guess one would get the most use out of it during the winter months. Do many of you use them year round?

What are some good brands out there? I saw they had 2 at Sheels, a $99 one and a $199 one. Can't even remember the brand. I would assume i would need one with the best light possible, and best picture quality. Do you usually get what you pay for, or are there some good cheaper brands out there that work just as well?

I have a top of the line Aquavu Scout2. Cost over 200 dollars. Its pretty cool to have. But if your wanting something that will help you locate fish, id get a Vexilar sonar unit, or whatever they are called. Im a decent ice fishermen and i was getting outfished every time i went by my buddy who had one. The underwater camera is cool because you can drop it down and watch the fish eat the bait. But with the sonar you dont have to drop the camera down where the fish are. And i believe you dont even have to drill holes if you get a top dollar unit? Thats what ive heard anyways. Just get the ice wet and hold the sonar down on the ice. I dont know much about them but i know id trade my AquaVu for a Vexilar. Just my opinion though.

Im sure THA4 will chime in. I read about him using one.

I have the same camera Aim-n-High has...we just bought it recently and it really is a lot of fun out there. The scout 2 is a black and white 5 inch screen and I paid less than $200 for mine. For more $ you can get a 7 inch screen and/or color...both would be nice, but not worth the extra money in my opinion. Not sure how much we'll use it out in the boat, but I've seen guys who do. I also agree that if you had to choose between a vexilar and an underwater camera, get the vex. The vex is for fishing, and the camera is pretty much for entertainment. Used both to help us get a nice mess of Spirit Lake perch last weekend...

P1020446.jpg

I have a camera and a Vex. The camera stays home now when i go ice fishing! There fun to play with, but will not help you catch that many fish. You also need clear water to see real good on most the models. I love my vex so much, i'm buying a transducer for my boat so i can use it in the summer!

If you have kids fishing with you, the camera is great for them...can keep them entertained for a long time even if the fish aren't biting. It is not real good for a "hole hopping" approach, as it takes some time to get it set up and facing the baits, etc. The vex is a much better tool for that sort of fishing.

Even the FL8 (lowest version) of the vexlar can read through the ice. You just need to scrape the snow away poor a little water on the ice and it will read.

I have a Vexilar and just bought the AquaVu this year also.. I tried the AquaVu out a couple times. It's nice to find structure and stuff to fish, but the water clarity wasn't really that great where I went. I didn't like using it while fishing though. I definately like the Vexilar better for fishing.

It really depends a lot on the water clarity. It can be a huge tool for fishing when the water clarity is good. I wouldn't leave home without one. You gotta have a vex and an Aqua-vu in my opinion. I would pay a little extra for a good Aqua-vu rather than one of the cheapies that has questionable quality.

You can use the aqua-vu during the summer too. I have a lot of stories of fish I have found in the summer with them.

Top Bottom