Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

USE CAUTION!

sofakingfast_1

Just wanted to warn you guys who are icefishing to always use caution and never trust the ice.

Yesterday -I went to Lake Sugema in Keosaqua, Iowa. It's a pretty big lake. I walked around a big part of the lake. Drilled probably 30-40 holes through 12-14 inches of ice. Never had a bite. Oh well. It was fun being out.

Today- I went up to a private pond near Macomb, Illinois. Heck the ice was over a foot thick at Lake Sugema so i figured the ice would be plenty thick at this little 2 acre pond. I always check the ice first around the perimeter. Well this is the only time I didn't. I got about 10 feet out and KERPLUNK, I fell through the ice. Had my drill in one hand and folding chair in the other. Dropped them both and had to break the ice all the way to the shore to get to where i could get into shallow water. It pretty much sucked. Drove a hour and a half. Fell through the pond within 30 seconds. Drove an hour and a half home.

Sorry for the rant. But make sure to be careful on the ice guys. I would of bet anyone a 100 dollar bill that the ice would of been a minimum of 8 inches. Well, it was an inch.

Glad everything turned out OK...could've been much worse.

I drilled through right at 2 feet of ice on Spirit Lake yesterday. As cold as it's been, hard to imagine only an inch of ice...must be current of some sort running through the pond.

NWBuck

yea.. that's weird.. Macomb isn't really that much higher on the map than Sugema, is it? Glad you made it out alright.. Im probably lucky I haven't fell through a couple of times.. When I was little, I used to kick all the slush back in the holes after we were done fishing them.... Not once, but TWICE, my dumba** stepped in the holes while walking past the old places we fished to get back to the vehicle and went about thigh deep in the water.. I guess I learned the hard way /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

My pond has two natural springs. Last year had 10 inches of ice and I still put my boot through a spot where the spring kept the water moving. It was maybe an inch thick. Scary feeling! Every body of water is different. Never fish alone and always have a plan in case the worst happens. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Top Bottom