Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Wair for Rabbits or do it now?

bowman

Super Moderator
My boys are begging to take out some rabbits. My father always had me wait for hard freeze so the sick ones die and I have heard others say the same. Is there any truth to this or should I let my boys do some hunting?:confused:

Up to you...but I wouldn't eat them til after a freeze. Like you said. My ol man and grandpa were always preaching the same thing... so thats what I go with.:confused:

Rabbits are very vulnerable to worm infestation due to egg laying insects as well as other parasites that can make you very sick. Once we get that first frost, just like any insect the cold (frost) usually kills them off. If you cook the meat thoroughly you can eat rabbits all times of the year. But like others said, Grandpa always said first snow, so that's my rule of thumb if I was to go out and hunt them.

X3 Wayne. Wait until the ectoparasites freeze off. I'm down hete waiting for the same so I csn take my daughter out. Finally convinced her mom it was ok to hunt rabbits again!

Top Bottom