Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Water and Deer

blake

Life Member
It has been very dry here in SW Iowa. We have had no snow, the creeks are dry and the ponds are mostly frooze over. Rivers in some areas do have running water. There is nothing green to eat in this area so I doubt they are getting water from a secondary source such as food.

My question, How much of a factor is water to deer this time of the year? Should one be hunting availiable water sources?

I think water is very important.

Last week I shot a nice young 8 point heading to water. I say young, probably 2.5 years old but a nice length on times.

I was sitting on the edge of a cornfield for 2 evenings and the deer come out of the hills and eat alittle. Then they head over to a pond and drink (or lick the ice) and come back to the corn for more food.

On third try I set my double bull blind up in the weeds between the corn and the water. I see a doe and then several! Two bucks started sparring at 40 yards and I saw one smallish looking one. I ignored them. Then I saw who he was sparring with, actually I just saw the tines, 9 inches long. A keeper. I lost him and then looked out another window and there he was at 25 yards quartering away. Wished I had my bow with me! He fell to my knight muzzleloader. Probably gross 130.

I hunt another corner of this field and water flows all the time thru a creek by it. The deer from another section of timber come drink out of this creek everynight as well. Great ambush sites! Wait for the right wind and get high in a tree. All the does come in first then the buck, if he is with them on that day.

Top Bottom