Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Is anyone putting in any water holes this year? How are you going to go about it?

Bone Slayer

There has been more and more hype about water holes. I've seen more articles come out this year about them than I have in the last 5 years combined. I plan on building a few of these this year but I'm not sure which route I am wanting to go. From researching there are 3 main methods that all have pro's and con's.

Option #1

Kids swimming pool/ cattle water

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...pplies+&lsft=gclid:CL-oxY_5rtMCFQmpaQodos8LUA

Pros: Minimal cost, resulting in being able to afford more water holes if you have multiple properties, easy to dig into the ground.

Cons: EHD, must dig it out every 2-3 years to clean out.

Option #2

2-3 foot deep water hole, lining it with cheap $30 tarp

Pros: Small cost, big enough to hold quite a bit of water

Cons: Tarp can rip, must be in a location that you can get a skid load or bull dozer to.

Option #3

4+ foot deep water hole, lining it with an expensive tarp

Pros: Won't rip as easily, the water will turn over, holds a lot of water

Cons: Expensive, must be in a location that you can get a skid load or bull dozer to.

Is anyone putting in any water holes this year? How are you going to go about it?

I have a 50 gallon underground pond deal if someone wants it. I'll take a few Busch lights, warm or cold.
IMG_20150509_110916895-1080x608.jpg

My hills are pretty dry so I make lots of waterholes, lined in 6 ml plastic from Bomgaars. I get the 20'x100' rolls. You have to dig them extra deep so that you can put 6"-8" of dirt back over the plastic, gorilla tape the seams. The hardest part is shoveling the dirt back in evenly. I go bigger and deeper but a 10x10x3-4' is easy enough and very inexpensive

• Deleted by 6x6
Show…
I've seen some increase in this idea as well, but don't know anyone personally that has tried it. I'm guessing if there are other sources of water around, it won't alter where they drink totally, but I guess it could help get them to stop by your stand or camera. And if you have no water on your property, it should be more effective.

I suppose with the swimming pool idea, it's better in the ground so it's more "natural"? Or is the idea to catch runoff? Just thinking that deer would likely drink from a water tank like any livestock, given time to get used to it.

I've seen some increase in this idea as well, but don't know anyone personally that has tried it. I'm guessing if there are other sources of water around, it won't alter where they drink totally, but I guess it could help get them to stop by your stand or camera. And if you have no water on your property, it should be more effective.

I suppose with the swimming pool idea, it's better in the ground so it's more "natural"? Or is the idea to catch runoff? Just thinking that deer would likely drink from a water tank like any livestock, given time to get used to it.

I believe the pool idea is to catch runoff.
If you have a spring, you can tap that with a pipe and let it dump into a livestock tank. I have one of these setups and it works very well. It took about 2 years for the deer to really get used to it. I have all kinds of critters stopping by for a drink now.

A few of the guys on Chase Nation that hunt private farms have established some water sources on their small pieces, typically situating them between bedding and food. One thing we've noticed this summer is the kiddie pools, which are 59" in diameter, and about a foot deep, if you wait on the rain to fill them it could take a long time to climb to the rim and while the cams are showing deer visiting the water holes, their reluctant to step so far down into them to get to the water, which after a couple months is only about 7 inches deep or so. Anyone else notice this? If it weren't such a challenge to lug 30 gallons of water deep into the cover to give the water holes a jump start we'd try that...

If water is placed in an area, instead of being naturally collect such as in a pond from the rain is it ever considered baiting. I have no idea either way just wondering.

We spoke to the conservation game warden in Wisconsin for a couple different counties with "no baiting" laws in place to learn the answer to your very question and this is what he said:

"So long as you do not lace the water with minerals or third party substances, it is not considered baiting and you are fine to fill your pools with water."

I worry about the water going bad during those hot summer days
I just started a water hole in August
Nothing using it yet
A doe and a fawn walked by it
The fawn was clearly scared of it

I have one and they use it big time. The only problem is keeping water in it. I have a well close and filled it 2 weeks ago. Took everything out because of winter coming. Now it's 1" deep. Had a 10 point use it while pushing a doe. I went and carried 5 5 gallon buckets of water to get me by, lol.

Reactions: arm
Would you be able to post a picture of your water hole site
There is something that they don't quite like

I have a shallow pond about 30 by 30 feet and 10 inches deep with a gravel bottom. I built it for my wife to ride her horses through, she trains horses for cross country jumping. The deer use it all the time even though there is a farm pond about 100 feet from it.

I have pretty much strictly used synthetic liners as I like to hold more water for water quality purposes. I typically shoot to have my ponds 4+ feet deep while maintaining an adequate slope for deer to go in and out. I also cover the liner with landscape fabric (6 or 8 oz). If available in the area I also cover with a shallow layer of gravel. In the second year I focus on establishing beneficial aquatic plants to help with filtration of the water and provide a biomedia for beneficial bacteria. I will try and get some photos uploaded here to see the process and final result. I also have written an article regarding water quality for wildlife ponds based on my aquatic biology background for any interested. Here is the link to that article ----> https://www.creekbottomlandmgmt.com/single-post/2016/08/03/EHD-Issues-and-Aquatic-Solutions

Last edited:
I put a water hole in this year at a natural spring. I dug it out with a backhoe seemed hold water pretty well..

Has anyone tried the Banks Wild Water?
I have a couple the 100 gallon Banks Wild Waters on my client's properties and I have mixed feelings. They do seem to draw in deer very well, but the constant having to fill gets old especially during the hot months when evaporation wipes out the trough constantly which in turn requires more water. Next time I place them I will get the larger version (I believe 300 gallons), but then again thats why I prefer a 25X25 pond about 4 feet deep which has approximately 10,000-15,000 gallons of water. Also, DO NOT put their mineral supplement into the water. It contains high salt content (kills all beneficial bacteria), and high amounts of phosphorus (promotes algae growth which may turn planktonic and potentially toxic).

Top Bottom