Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Is anyone putting in any water holes this year? How are you going to go about it?

Will putting 6-8" of dirt over a liner still allow midges to lay eggs and form EHD? I'll be putting a waterhole on a new property this spring. I'm going to dig a hole and get a 20x20 pond liner in it. I'll need to cover the liner so their hooves don't rip it and gravel is not an option. Also, does anyone think the dnr will have issues with small "pond"?

Personally I would cover with a sand or gravel if available. If dirt is only option to cover liner, then I strongly encourage installing beneficial aquatic plants, applying pond colorants, and adding beneficial bacteria. This way you can balance the ecosystem. The Culicoides midge that causes EHD does NOT like competition. So if you have a balanced ecosystem with a high bio-diversity of aquatic insects and invertebrates you will greatly reduce the chances of EHD. I don't know personally how the Iowa DNR perceives small ponds, but the Wisconsin DNR are advocates for wildlife ponds to help improve wildlife abundance on properties.

Also, make sure to cover the liner with landscape fabric which will not only help protect the liner, but will also help the deer gain some footing on the liner if they go through any substrate.

I think dirt over a liner would just make a muddy mess. The little pond I built just has landscape fabric under the rock and it holds water well. If at all possible I would put rock or sand down, the deer seem to like the solid footing.

86a66a632156989b4cf39e2cd8263c96.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a picture of mine. Like I said before I built it as part of my wife's horse jumping course but the deer use it more than the farm pond 100ft away.

I think dirt over a liner would just make a muddy mess. The little pond I built just has landscape fabric under the rock and it holds water well. If at all possible I would put rock or sand down, the deer seem to like the solid footing.

I couldn't agree more about using rock or sand! However, most don't have that luxury. As long as the soil/spoils getting put on top are not clay heavy they will settle and have clear water. Clay is the main reason why you would have a "muddy" pond consistently. That is also why we never use clay when we construct larger ponds for clients.

Personally I would cover with a sand or gravel if available. If dirt is only option to cover liner, then I strongly encourage installing beneficial aquatic plants, applying pond colorants, and adding beneficial bacteria. This way you can balance the ecosystem. The Culicoides midge that causes EHD does NOT like competition. So if you have a balanced ecosystem with a high bio-diversity of aquatic insects and invertebrates you will greatly reduce the chances of EHD. I don't know personally how the Iowa DNR perceives small ponds, but the Wisconsin DNR are advocates for wildlife ponds to help improve wildlife abundance on properties.
What type of liner do you use and where do you purchase them? Also, what plants are easy to establish and free of maintenance?

If the dirt is not sandy it would hold water just fine.I have both the kidde pools and regular water holes.I fill mine with a 275 gal tote on a trailer or a 60 gallon tank in the back of truck.The wading pool I use 5 gal containers to ke and ep full.You can spray paint the pool if you don't like the blue.A couple things always put a limb or piece of screen in pool so critters can crawl out and try to keep some of the leaves out but don't breath the gases while scooping them out.My deer use it as a social site as much as anything,some drink and some just hang out or funnel by it

What type of liner do you use and where do you purchase them? Also, what plants are easy to establish and free of maintenance?

We sell and direct ship polyethylene liners at Wisconsin Lake & Pond Resource, and also install larger ponds across much of the lower 48. My suggestions for plants are common arrowhead (deer and ducks love them), softstem bulrush, pickerel plant, and cattails (can take over pond though). Here is a link for an article I wrote as well about management and maintenance of these ponds.

https://www.creekbottomlandmgmt.com/single-post/2016/08/03/EHD-Issues-and-Aquatic-Solutions

I put in a couple using about 30 to 50 gallon containers and they get very little deer use. Theres plenty of natural water around though, I figured it wouldnt hurt but i havent benefited from them. I do see alot of squirrels using them though

I've used small water tanks like you buy at the feed store for cows. Don't think the deer ever accepted them.

This year we got a dozer to dig a hole about 5 feet deep. It's about 20' x 40'. Rain filled it up in a couple of months and it held water during the summer drought. The deer really use it and I think it was a great addition to the farm. It's on the edge of a 2 acre food plot, clover.

I've used small water tanks like you buy at the feed store for cows. Don't think the deer ever accepted them.

This year we got a dozer to dig a hole about 5 feet deep. It's about 20' x 40'. Rain filled it up in a couple of months and it held water during the summer drought. The deer really use it and I think it was a great addition to the farm. It's on the edge of a 2 acre food plot, clover.
My recommendation would be to also plant the shoreline edges of the pond with some common arrowhead and/or pickerel plant to help filter the water. These plants also won't encroach into the pond like a cattail would.

I must be missing something here. Go to Tractor Supply and by a galvanized stock tank. Mine is oval. Top it off 2 or 3 times during the hot months if you don't have a capture system. Add a few tsp of copper sulfate once or twice during the year...wala clean clear water they will drink day one and every day after.

I use the kiddie pool waterholes. I change the water every year, rake the leaves off in the Fall and I lug fresh water in every September. They work as a great little water source if there isn't any water around. One I use the most is in a strip of timber off a big CRP/cedar bedding area. Bucks stop by it every evening on their way down to the ag fields.

Hey there, reviving an old thread!
1f604.svg
Yeah, water holes have been getting a lot of buzzes lately, but it's interesting to see this thread from 6 years back. Option #1 with the kids' swimming pool or cattle water sounds like a cost-effective choice, but watch out for that EHD and the cleaning maintenance every few years. Option #2 with the tarp lining is also affordable, but keep in mind the potential for rips and the need for a dozer-friendly location. And don't forget to pay attention to the Care and maintenance Of Crown Traveling Block. It's always better to keep it in a good condition.

Last edited:
Top Bottom