Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Water purifier's

Buckhunter

I'm planning an elk hunt in Colorado this fall and I'm buying all my gear as I can afford to,anyway my question is what water filter would you guy's reccomend to take along.Right now I'm thinking about the MSR water work's but I've also thought about the mini work's but I really do not have a clue on the one I should get.

shrug[1].gif

I'm not sure if your packing in or what but any adventure i seek in alaska i use tablets. they are pill size and you get them in a pack of 25 and one pill purifies one quart. I think thats as light wieght as you can get. I don't know anything about purifiers, but a good stove is the dragon fly, I have one and for those 7 day hiking trips it is a must.
offtopic.gif
But had to add that

I took the Survival Straw from Cabela's - it has activated charcoal in it if I remember correctly. You are supposed to be able to drink right from any stream with it. Although I carried the tablets like Alaskan was talking about. I never used them, but probably would use the tablets and then run it through the straw, just to be extra cautious. Beaver fever sucks!

I had two friends that went with me who used the straw the year before right out of the stream and never got sick. Lucky? Maybe, but maybe it works.

Here is the info from Cabela's:
Survival Straw
The Survival Straw is an extremely compact and highly efficient water purification system that destroys bacteria and viruses. Odor and bad taste are also effectively eliminated. Simply immerse the body in the water source and drink through the straw. No filter to replace or bulky purification systems to carry. Exceeds FDA standards. Lifetime replacement guarantee. $25

your sposed to use a water purifier? lol we didnt in colorado, good ole spring water, and we turned out okay, I think
30570-chair.gif

Liv4Rut I think there was something in that water you drank......you should of had a purifer. I drank from our creek at the farm it tasted like moss, not good! I need a purifier 4 my water.

Bowhunt......If I had a choice to drink from a stream in Iowa vs. a stream in Colorado...I think I would stick to the Colorado water! LOL That moss was from the cattle and the Jones's farm up north! lol
grin.gif

take a small bottle of bleach it will last you the whole trip.
------------------------------------------------------------
1 teaspoon Ultra CLOROX bleach per 5 gallons water

16 drops Ultra CLOROX bleach per 1 gallon water

4 drops Ultra CLOROX bleach per 1 quart water

Wait 30 minutes. The water should have a slight chlorine odor. If not, repeat dose and wait 15 minutes, then sniff again.

Use only Ultra CLOROX bleach, not a scented bleach.
------------------------------------------------------------
BLEACH

For instant conversion of metric to Imperial standards http://www.wooddesign.bc.ca/convert.htm

1 US Gallons = 3.78500 Liters 1 US Liquid Quarts = 0.94640 Liters 1 US Dry Quarts = 1.10100 Liters 16 Fluid Ounces = 0.47312 Liters

Note: Use only brands of bleach which contain Sodium Hypochlorite at 5.25%

Do not use lemon fresh or fresh scent types of bleach or any bleach with ingredients which consist of anything plus the sodium hypochlorite.

Do not use Hydrogen Peroxide type bleaches. There is a lack of consistency which could put your health at risk.

REMEMBER: chlorine is a toxic.. Too much and it can kill you. So be careful with both bleach and chlorine tablets. Use recommended doses only.

My sister just returned from a 4 month overland journey across the Mid East, Egypt, Iran, Turkey, etc..this was a camping/roughing it trip.

I sent her some gear from Cabellas and other companies that she said saved her butt. (she had some great testimonials for Wiggy's Sleeping Bags).

Along with some Cabela's MT-50 Raingear, I sent her a Cabela's Exstream Water Purifier Bottles (32 Oz).
My sister was the only one not having bathroom issues, and she credits it to the purifier.

Guess that would probably work limb, but when you need it you would be close to death. Not sure how many people would be good chemists when they really need it. I would be more afraid of what I was placing in the water. Tablets are cheap and the straw sounded like a great idea.
shrug[1].gif

yea, I agree. surely a better way but it is an angle. I picked it up from the bowsite in the elk hunting area (dreaming of my big bull
evil.gif
) and thought it was interesting that quite a few guys do use bleach to clean the water... just a different angle to think about.

actually my plan was to carry good old Iowa water all the time. I carried the straw and tablets just in case you got stuck away from camp or something bad would happen. I was in decent shape and don't think I ever ran out of water. Usually carried 3 12 ounch bottles maybe. Being in shape really helps. Most days we hit camp around noon for change of socks and a meal and water. Great times
waytogo.gif

IF you have a Target store near you take a ride. In the camping section today I was able to purchase a water purifier that is built into the bottle. Take the top off and fill the bottle up. When you drink out of it it filters the water. Anyway I mention this because Target is blowing these out because of a new model coming out. The water bottle goes for 30 bucks, and the replacement filter goes for 20 bucks. They are on clearance for 7.50 for the bottle and 4.50 for the filter. So you can pick up 50 dollars worth of water filter for 12 bucks.
waytogo.gif

Worth a look anyway.........

Been living in MN all my life and have been going to the BWCA for most of my 22 years on this earth. I started out the old fashoned way by boiling it but that's a hassel and warm water sucks to drink. Right now i use a filter by "sweet water". It works great i also have a water bottle made by "pur" which works as well. While on a backpacking trip in New Mexico i was introduced to "polar pure" this is a little botle of chemicals that will last forver, you can find it at any outdoors store such as REI or www.rei.com This completely purifies your water but it kind of tastes like there was a bandaid sitting in it for about a week. I always carry this as a back up as i have broken filters in the middle of a trip.

I am alos thinking of Elk hunting Colorado this year. Thinking about the early muzzel season. Would like to get some info and sugestions about where to hunt in colorado since i have only elk hunted in Montana.
offtopic.gif

If you decide to go the filter route I would vote for the Sweatwater filter. I like it better than some of the other filter because it pumps water on both the up and down stokes of the pumping action. I've used it in Alaska, and Wyoming. Buy one or two collapsible water jugs too. They'll save you space and weight.

I also carry the pills in my pack pack/day pack as a backup.

Thank's for all the info everyone.Patrick,where can I buy this brand?Are they pretty rugged and how much are the filter's for it.Sorry for all the ?"s but I'm a complete rooky on this type of gear.
Thank's
doah.gif

You can find sweetwater filters at REI or REI.com. They are4 pretty durable but i did break a handle off mine once. It was under warenty but that's why i carry the polar pure as well. Filters are like $35 but last a long time.

Top Bottom