Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Western hunt ideas

shooter42

Hey guys,

Myself and 2-3 other guys are wanting to plan a hunt either out west or in canada. Our time frame for it would be september of next year. We all have jobs in agriculture and to get away in October/November is difficult. We are open to ideas. Preferably rifle/muzzleloader but could do archery as well. We have not been out west hunting before and they seem a little skeptical about going after elk with the bow on the first trip. We would entertain going through an outfitter but would prefer a do-it-yourself type hunt.

I am just asking for ideas and are there any species we can hunt in september with a rifle in any state?

TIA for any idea's, much appreciated!

Just quick thoughts. You really need to do your own research and decide what you want out of your trip. Western states and draws can get complicated and expensive.
I think for the most part in Sept you're looking at archery or muzzy. Muzzy probably a draw no matter what and about a week long season in most states. Archery has a couple OTC options. Colorado and Idaho only OTC that comes to mind. New Mexico has random draw no points. Some draw areas can be had with one point but things have been getting worse in most states. Montana, for instance always used to have leftover deer and elk, not the case the last couple years.

Elk can be done as a first hunt, but in order to have success you better start learning and researching now. September timeframe you would mostly be looking at archery, but some areas in colorado can be drawn for muzzleloader with 0 points. keep in mind colorado has strict muzz rules, no scope, no sabots, etc. Wyoming antelope would be a great first hunt. You can get rifle tags in september. Elk hunting is a grind. You have to prepare and be persistent. Antelope hunting is just a fun hunt, fairly easy, high success rates.

If you can get away in December, Nebraska Muzzle Loader deer runs the whole month. Reasonable OTC tags and some big areas of national forest in the central and northwest corner of the state.

Top Bottom