Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What did I get myself into…

When I had a 7000, I used it no-till and went with Martin row closers that I felt closed the row better than the round smooth rubber disks it came with, felt crumbling the row edge more aggressively was an advantage.

Mine was set up for liquid fertilizer. Some had dry fertilizer set ups. I used liquid, but boy does fertilizer eat up planters, in my experience.

Did it come with a seed drop monitor? I had a belt break on one row so it didn’t plant. If I had the monitor functioning, I’d have known. I noticed one seed hopper was not as low as the other and went back to where it stopped and planted an offset row to fill in. Major hassle that could have been avoided. Would it matter planting food plots? Probably not. Heck, I’d probably plant a food plot in a cross hatch pattern to make it harder for the deer to walk down the rows. Might make it last longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I had a 7000, I used it no-till and went with Martin row closers that I felt closed the row better than the round smooth rubber disks it came with, felt crumbling the row edge more aggressively was an advantage.

Mine was set up for liquid fertilizer. Some had dry fertilizer set ups. I used liquid, but boy does fertilizer eat up planters, in my experience.

Did it come with a seed drop monitor? I had a belt break on one row so it didn’t plant. If I had the monitor functioning, I’d have known. I noticed one seed hopper was not as low as the other and went back to where it stopped and planted an offset row to fill in. Major hassle that could have been avoided. Would it matter planting food plots? Probably not. Heck, I’d probably plant a food plot in a cross hatch pattern to make it harder for the deer to walk down the rows. Might make it last longer.

It has a sensor at each tube, but did not come with the monitor. The cables are cracked and weathered so I’m not sure of their status.

I was looking at the Yetter Twister closing wheels as I can get them with the upgrade kit from Shoups. Will have to look into Martin more.

Also found there is no fertilizer system with this at all. I will see about alternative methods or parts. Not sure. Since this is for food plotting, none of it is crucial, but I’d still pride myself on a good stand.

It has a sensor at each tube, but did not come with the monitor. The cables are cracked and weathered so I’m not sure of their status.

I was looking at the Yetter Twister closing wheels as I can get them with the upgrade kit from Shoups. Will have to look into Martin more.

Also found there is no fertilizer system with this at all. I will see about alternative methods or parts. Not sure. Since this is for food plotting, none of it is crucial, but I’d still pride myself on a good stand.

Yetter twisters are great. We have them on both of our planters. I believe there are aftermarket transmissions that can go on there that would be nice so you wouldn't have to worry about the drive clutch. Also they make upgraded marker cylinders that would be a huge upgrade too. Then you can put down both markers if you are making a contour or making a straight line in the middle of the field.

Since you are wanting to do mostly no til you might check out the Dawn Curvetine closing wheels. Popular among the No til crowd..

Oops, I did it again... Haha! Bought another. This one is more put together. Between the two, I should be able to put together a great planter and the spare could still do someone else a lot of good.
johndeere70004r30rowcropplanter-2_756a9ec1ef1844a89e9a698f84ea21cc.jpg

Any planter guys on here can help me? In the bottom of this pic there is a large gear on the outside of this transmission (same as the other transmission in front of it). What is it for? Looking in the parts manuals for JD 7000, 7100, 7200, 7300, there is no illustration of this gear. Other than that, it looks just like it came off of one of those planters. Thoughts? Ideas?
7200 Transmission.jpg

Any planter guys on here can help me? In the bottom of this pic there is a large gear on the outside of this transmission (same as the other transmission in front of it). What is it for? Looking in the parts manuals for JD 7000, 7100, 7200, 7300, there is no illustration of this gear. Other than that, it looks just like it came off of one of those planters. Thoughts? Ideas?
View attachment 126046
Just a guess here but I am going to guess it drove some sort of pump or device for insecticide or nitrogen.

I just noticed it looks welded on. Some home brew I am thinking now. Everything else looks standard.

5b60ecce8669c4e2c21758d2913b5099.jpg

Picked up these guys today. I have heard they are the bees knees for no-till. One thing I have read is the no-till models came with the 7x7 frame. Mine is 5x7. I am reading that weight may be an issue with the smaller tube. Anyone use a set with the smaller frame? Is there a preferred way to add weight? I looked at suitcase weights and mounts. Maybe run a smaller tube inside my original frame?

5b60ecce8669c4e2c21758d2913b5099.jpg

Picked up these guys today. I have heard they are the bees knees for no-till. One thing I have read is the no-till models came with the 7x7 frame. Mine is 5x7. I am reading that weight may be an issue with the smaller tube. Anyone use a set with the smaller frame? Is there a preferred way to add weight? I looked at suitcase weights and mounts. Maybe run a smaller tube inside my original frame?

I have run the same planterfor a # of Years. JD7000. The weight being to light can be a problem on hard dry years
or a late planting.

To compensate I added prob 15 sticks of 1 1/4 rebar inside the tube. Had a buddy who had it on hand and worked very good for adding dead weight all the way across the bar.

20231024_165432.jpg
20231024_165352.jpg

Nailed it! We have several sticks of #9 rebar laying behind the shop from a local commercial construction job. Great idea, and thanks!

I have most of the parts I need to have my planter in tip top shape. These wheels were trashed. The good thing about steel wheels is they are a little elbow grease away from looking like new. A scotchbrite wheel, primer, and fresh JD yellow has them looking good. Throw on some new rubber and they are looking just right!
312937d9e627a8e9a1a916397b5896b5.jpg

Discs on. Gonna have to order a little hardware for the disc scrapers and then I think I am on the home stretch. Of course we are dry, so I probably won’t even need the scrapers, but they are getting it.
811affae05f113265955f0ebf58df151.jpg

Top Bottom