Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

what do you guys do ??

CamoMan

I almost always hang my bow up until there is a deer within a reasonable distance. I don't want to hold on to it for a couple or few hours at a time, when I can have it within easy reach. Just put your bow hanger in a position that lets you pick up the bow with the least amount of motion. I put mine so that I just have to move my left hand about a foot to grab it. Then, if a deer surprises me, I can easily get it into shooting position. If your big buck came in that fast, I doubt that the time you spent grabbing your bow would have cost you the shot. Sounds like he was covering ground fast enough that you didn't have a lot to work with anyway. Just my thoughts. . .

the best thing to hang your bow on is the e-z hanger NO JOKE that thing is the best thing i've used for hanging my bow!!! 15 bucks well worth the item!!

I agree with bowhuntinfool,this item is well worth the money and I would not want to hunt without it!I put it over to the right and slightly above my head in a seated position,It is very easy to grab your bow off of it in a hurry once you get used to it.
grin.gif

primetime I like my bow in my hand also if its thick and the action might be fast I hang onto my bow.
sometime you just get caught with your guard down.

I also use the easy hanger, best investment of the year.....I shot my buck this year with little to no movement on my part. All that I had to do was lift my right hand 6 inches to my bow lift another 6 inches to clear the hanger and thwack, dead buck, did not even have to stand up in my stand, I even dropped (lost) my first hanger, went out and spent another 16 bucks to buy another one, just that handy, well worth the money.

Thursday afternoon I missed an opportunity on a very nice 12 pointer. Mostly because I had my bow hung up on a hook screwed into the tree. By the time I drew back on him he was 25 to 30 yards away and I elected not to take the shot and risk a bad hit that would lead to a dead or wounded deer I could not find. Also if he would have turned left on the intersection he would have passed 8 yards in front of me but of course he turned right. Anyway, this is my 1st year back into bowhunting after a 10 hiatus, so I really am a novice when it comes to bow hunting hints and secrets. If I would have had the bow in my lap I would have had a much better shot but I know not everyone hangs onto thier bow all the time. Anyone have any hints or trade secrets they would like to share??? One more thing..........Thursday (thanksgiving) afternoon I saw several deer. They didn't seem to move until after 4:00. Had the 12 close along with seveal does close. Also saw 2 different 8's farther out but moving in the same direction. Friday I didn't see anything cept a doe. I think a very strong wind kept movement to a minimum though.
wavey.gif

Sounds like those hangers are popular, but I guess I'm just too cheap. I like the 99 cent hangers that look like a miniature tree step. They are rubber coated, so there isn't any clanging when I hang or remove the bow. At that price, I can put one in each stand, and even afford to lose or forget a few. I use the hangers for convenience, and don't usually need fast access to my bow, although I can easily get to it with minimum arm movement.

I have a EZ Hanger and only use it for my antlers and backpack. I seldom if ever hang my bow from it. I am very careful where I put it so I don't stick it someplace that will interfer with my drawing the bow. Usually it is a few inches higher than my seat off to the side.

I always sit with my bow laying across my lap. Not sure why, I just do.

The realtree commericals you see are a joke, they show the guy with the EZ hanger right above his head and the bow right in front of him. What if he stood up to look or to just stretch his legs, and if he is standing in the commercial the bow is too far away from him when he is sitting.

I have shot at deer from all positions around the tree I am in, and the last thing I want is a metal bar in the way. Also my biggest one came in fast chasing a doe, no time for this grabbing the bow stuff and chancing the deer seeing you move. Half the time my release is clipped on too, gotta keep my hand somewhere, might as well be on the string.

I keep my release off the string until necessary. I've doinked a couple arrows onto the forest floor by accident in the past so I just keep it off the string.

I have two or three bow holders that attach to the stand platform. I make sure they are in my prime spots. The rest have hooks in the tree. I set up so I can shoot sitting (if I can't stand up as deer come in) but plan to shoot standing.

This EZ hanger might work for me but I would'nt be moving it around with me. I slip in slip out, low impact
wink.gif

I'll go along with the EZ hanger. I also bought one this season, and built 2 more just like it. I will be building one for each stand I own.

I always hang my bow on a cut off limb or hand nail or hanger. When I see a buck the first thing I do is grab the binoculars and see if it is one I want to shoot with the bow or videocamera. The only time I grab the bow first is if I hear running deer or if he is so close there is no doubt and no time to tape.

Keep the bow in my lap with my release clipped on. I've never doiked and arrow. I always want to be ready. I've never missed a shot opportunity due to not being ready.

I got the EZ hanger for Christmas last year and didn't use it once this season. I just didn't want to futz with it when I got to the stand.

Across my lap, release usually locked on. I've had deer come in fast but have never been foiled because I was reaching for my bow. I figure there's to many ways to miss a deer. And I just haven't wanted to add that one yet.

moosehunter, GO TO OZZIES OR THE FOX AND COON CLUB. SHOOT ARCHERY LEAGE WITH THE BOWHUNTERS IN DECORAH. NOBODY WILL REFUSE TO HELP OUT. MOST SHOOTERS RESPECT THE ANIMAL THEY HUNT AND STRIVE TO HELP OTHERS LEARN. IF THIS WAS TRUELY YOUR FIRST YEAR BOWHUNTING, YOUR DOING FINE. NOBODY HAS SCREWED UP MORE GIANT BUCKS THAN WYSELF---LEARN AND GO ON. THERE IS ALWAYS A TIME TO MOVE AND A TIME TO FREEZE---KNOWING WHEN CAN ONLY BE LEARNED BY YOU!!!!!!GO TO THE PRO SHOPS IN THE OFF SEASON AND LISTEN TO THE NEW IDEAS AS WELL AS THE OLD STAND BY METHODS OF SUCCESS. JUST MY EXPERIANCE M350 OUT

The main thing is that you have fun out there.

Sit, stand, dance, hang the bow up etc... as long as you enjoy your adventure. If fun is first and getting the animal is second you will never have a bad time in the field.

But on the serious side the others have great comments.

Me, I got caught snoozing on a 170" buck years ago (when they were rare) so I still have a hard time letting my bow leave my hand and I do not like to sit down very often because of that one stupid event. Which of course makes stand time more challenging.

I have blown so many other chances that I was prepared for what makes the difference? Oh well.

I figure if you get to see a nice buck up close, then you are still having a good hunt.

Have fun & be safe.

Top Bottom