Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What do you plant for each season?

Casper16k

I was just curious to know what everyone plants for each season, so I have an idea what to plant in the future. I want to plant something for the antler growing months and something that I can hunt over when Fall and Winter roles around.

Easy enough to do.

If you have plenty of area. Do a clover mix plot. Brassica planted late summer then. If you really have plenty of area do a brassica and a Winter Wheat/Rye/Oats mix planted late summer can really be good.

Dean

This will be our first year with food plots and for late season we are going to have a couple standing corn fields and then a winter wheat/rye mixed plot. Some year we'd like to try brassicas at least in a test plot but it doesn't look like we'll get room for it this year. For summer we are thinking of going with the trusty soybeans and then putting clover throughout some other parts of the ag land.

What kind of area are you in? I'm surrounded by a 50/50 mix of ag and woodlands. We used to have most of our plots in clover/chicory mixes but we're converting over to plots that will cover the fall-winter-spring period and sacrificing the summer months. It doesn't seem to make sense to put much acreage in clover if you are surrounded by alfalfa. Fall planted small grains will be a great draw during the hunting season and it will get hammered again in the early spring(which is major stress period). Brassicas are great for winter feed and maybe even during the hunting season but my deer won't touch them until January, so we plant ours early in the summer to put on as much tonnage as possible.

Top Bottom