Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What is best to plant?

John Young

What is best to plant on reclaimed strip mine ground? Right now it looks like the old owners half azzed tried to plant alfalfa and it failed. It's mostly weeds less than 6" tall. Its bottom ground near the river and about 25 acres. I was considering leasing it to a farmer. But not sure a farmer would want to plant on reclaimed strip mine ground. I don't know enough about it. Is the ground useless for planting?

What is best to plant on reclaimed strip mine ground? Right now it looks like the old owners half azzed tried to plant alfalfa and it failed. It's mostly weeds less than 6" tall. Its bottom ground near the river and about 25 acres. I was considering leasing it to a farmer. But not sure a farmer would want to plant on reclaimed strip mine ground. I don't know enough about it. Is the ground useless for planting?
Can u post some pics up? Take some soil samples too.
we’ve done alfalfa but it was after they “put top soil back” to some degree. If it’s junk rock - much harder.
I don’t think you will find a farmer - unless you rent it for free. Depends how rough.
Could seed down to some natives & forbs.
If u wanna invest some $ into it… ways to improve it…. Compost & high residue cover crops for example.

Can u post some pics up? Take some soil samples too.
we’ve done alfalfa but it was after they “put top soil back” to some degree. If it’s junk rock - much harder.
I don’t think you will find a farmer - unless you rent it for free. Depends how rough.
Could seed down to some natives & forbs.
If u wanna invest some $ into it… ways to improve it…. Compost & high residue cover crops for example.

I’ll take some pics tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom