Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Why is Canada a good place to harvest trees?

danielbailey

I have a geo report due tomorrow and i need to find some things out about the trees. one of the question is "Why is Canada a good place to harvest trees?" and i can't find it anywhere so yeaa
pleaase help me!!!

Might look at the type of trees that are up there and then do research on those varieties? Say it's hemlock, pine, etc, for example.... Maybe you read that those types of trees are in high demand for construction, furniture, etc. Other types of trees might be good for paper, etc. Canada may be an ideal place because they have an over-abundance of trees, they are easily replaced, (vast areas for re-new-able resources) and many of the trees may be fast growing or part of a healthy forestry plan (different age structures to forest & that also helps wildlife). that's my shot in the dark GUESS- I'd read up on what types of trees are up there, find the ups and downs to each and then combine that with the vast Canadian resource that can be renewed & lastly- combine that with a good forestry management practice that benefits wildlife, the forest, etc. I'm sure there's a lot better advice out there though! :)

Forestry is a major industry where I reside. We have a pulp mill (spruce, poplar), a saw mill, (pine, spruce) and an OSB Mill (leftovers from other two mills). I think Canada is a good place to harvest trees due to the huge amounts of uninhabited forest.

I think Canada is a good place to harvest trees due to the huge amounts of uninhabited forest.

Canada contains most of the northern boreal forest in North America. It just so happens the boreal forest contains forest types that are highly usable in the timber industry.

Pines grow straight and uniform (easy to cut), and can be used for a wide variety of products. Paper usage is decreasing, but pulp is always going to be in demand (butt wipe), and pulp trees are super easy to manage and are harvested in short rotations, etc.

* The majority of the forests in Canada can be managed in even-age rotations, and done so sustainably which is why Canada has such a rich forestry tradition. Its all about growing and cutting the trees for profit, and up until now, Canada's forests have done just that!

Last edited:
Wow, I just noticed you said you needed something by today... yesterday... hope you found something to write about!

Top Bottom