Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Windy morning bird

deerhunter93

I hunted this same property on Friday morning and birds were hammering as good as I can remember. I saw two gobblers, five jakes, and a hen, but the two gobblers never got within 75 yards or so.

This morning I knew it was going to be windy so my game plan was to stay down near a creek at first light to listen and make a move. Birds were silent until about 5 minutes after shooting light then I heard a few south of me and one or two to the west. I thought the ones south were closer so I headed that way and got all set around 6:20am. They flew down and it sounded like they headed south onto a property I don't have permission on - minus one hen that I kept responding to. Around 7am I contemplated moving and seeing if I could strike one up. The hen nearby yelped so I called back and one gobbled noticeably closer than previously but still a ways off. A few minutes later two gobbled and I could tell they were closer again. I put the slate call down and got the gun ready. I then saw movement about 100 yards away on the same bench I was on - a strutter. He started moving towards me and I saw two more birds. All three were toms and were on a mission headed right for me. One was a couple yards away from the other two and when he stuck his head up at 30 yards I dumped him. The other two jumped on him and I could see more birds taking off behind them. Two year old birds sure do like to play the game, and I'm glad they do!

I also stopped by the boys' daycare on the way home to share it with them!
e3471473c100cb484f234093e5138dbc.jpg
95c047e45c63931d9d3209de472e2a31.jpg

The pictures show up for me on Tapatalk but not when I'm on my computer so I'll add them again (my apologies if they double up).
PXL_20230417_124347726.jpgPXL_20230417_142933071.jpg

Last edited:
Turkey hunting is just fun! My grandson is about the age as your oldest. During FaceTime last night he wants to go turkey hunting. Won’t be long. Congrats on the hunt

Top Bottom