Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Woody plants growing amongst conifers

I have a bunch of woody growth growing amongst my norway spruce and cedar plantings and was wondering what's the best herbicide to kill woody plants growing and competing with my conifers?

Also what's the best thing to plant around my conifers to help with weeds?

U gonna spot spray each one? How big of an area and how many ballpark stems we talking here? Few methods. Wanna understand how many u talking.
Cutting & treating stems or more than likely - backpack sprayer with foliar application on each tree. Probably Garlon & 2,4-d & depends on tree type coming in - imazapyr

U gonna spot spray each one? How big of an area and how many ballpark stems we talking here? Few methods. Wanna understand how many u talking.
Cutting & treating stems or more than likely - backpack sprayer with foliar application on each tree. Probably Garlon & 2,4-d & depends on tree type coming in - imazapyr
1/2 acre. Have an area along my property border that's about 200 yes long by 30 feet wide. Won't I kill conifers spraying 24d? I was thinking of mowing around conifers with brushmower then spraying herbicide. Just not sure on herbicide to use. Stinger?

1/2 acre. Have an area along my property border that's about 200 yes long by 30 feet wide. Won't I kill conifers spraying 24d? I was thinking of mowing around conifers with brushmower then spraying herbicide. Just not sure on herbicide to use. Stinger?
Above is right…. It depends how close they are. If really close- ya, anything but Gly is probably to be avoided. If u are treating tips- I still revert back to any of above I mentioned as it’s not mobile in the soil. If the trees are super close to your conifers- go gly only. That’s why I was trying to understand the area size …. Small area…. Take the time to delicately treat each one. Gly is probably the safest. I’m ok with others but one would need to be very careful. Do it with gly & repeat as needed IMO.

Here’s photo as driving by right now…. I sprayed some black locust with Garlon 4, diesel & it mighta had a couple other things in it. I forget exactly. Back pack sprayer in February. Can see it only killed right around the tree. Others are just fine. Could they get injured? Nothing is impossible but I’d say 99.9% they will be just fine. If a guy was using tordon or got really sloppy- different story. But real world photo at this moment. Red = dead. Blue = good trees.
IMG_9160.jpeg

I have a bunch of woody growth growing amongst my norway spruce and cedar plantings and was wondering what's the best herbicide to kill woody plants growing and competing with my conifers?

Also what's the best thing to plant around my conifers to help with weeds?
What’s growing up in the conifers?

Top Bottom