Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Would you like to see more or fewer deer?

Old Buck

Life Member
Also from the IBA website....

"Pressure continues for legislation to increase antlerless deer harvest. Last year the legislature increased the number of special antlerless permits and we expect to see additional legislation even though it is questionable that parts of the state can handle the added harvest. "Legislators are only hearing from those who want the deer killed, not from the hunters." stated one lobbyist. It is essential that hunters who are seeing declines in deer population in their counties to contact their legislators."

Personally I like to see lots of deer.

Many farmers and the insurance industry don't. They contact their legislators and make themselves heard. The legislators respond to what they hear from their constituents.

Have you contacted your legislators? It is easy. Check www.iowabowhunters.org for instructions. Complaining here may feel good but talking to your legislators can actually make an impact.

Another way to do it is to support the organizations that fight for hunters, wildlife and science based wildlife management.

The Iowa Bowhunters Association does just that. So does the Iowa Conservation Alliance, Pheasants Forever, DU, the Izaak Walton League, etc. I urge you to support them because they are fighting for you. Now I'll get off the soap box.

...here-here!...the ones that "show up" make the decisions...it has been stated in recent years that as few as 10 calls on one topic can influence a decision...on many issues they don't get any calls from Joe Public!...

...here-here!...the ones that "show up" make the decisions...it has been stated in recent years that as few as 10 calls on one topic can influence a decision...on many issues they don't get any calls from Joe Public!...

I think the deer population in some of the countys in NW Iowa are down from past years. Alot of the shotgun hunters were working alot harder at filling their tags than other years. I was told that the % of hunters harvesting a deer this year in NW is down. Also from being out on the road I have seen fewer deer this fall than other years. More deer; better drivers less insurance. Al

I've seen a lot more mature bucks and larger herds this year because of several mild winters that have deer spread out and harder for shotgun hunters to hunt. I think the numbers are about right.
Who are all the farmers that are complaining? I've seen the end rows for the most part wiped out in numerous fields and these farmers accept it as normal loss.
Farm Bureau representatives were pushing for increased NR tags for other,(I believe personal) reasons about a year ago and I called them on it. The insurance lobby is also quite strong and has taken some other financial hits in recent years and is pushing very strongly on this issue. Farm Bureau has a double stake in this as they also sell insurance products.

I'm for a healthy, quality deer herd. I also prefer to see lots of big, healthy deer as well! I think the number of deer we will have in this state will be determined, to a certain extent, by the amount of crop damage and deer/vehicle collisions that will be considered acceptable by the public. Perhaps the DNR could sponsor some type of program where they could direct hunters to landowners who are complaining of excessive crop damage and are willing to let some be shot.

I would like to see more deer!

But, I am concerned what that might do WHEN CWD gets here.

I also agree on the comments about the Farm Bureau and the amount of crop damage and deer/vehicle collisions that will be considered acceptable by the public. That is bothersome because a vocal minority can have a big impact on the decisions made by the legislature. For example, most farmers in this area accept the fact that they will have some crop damage and they tolerate it knowing that they can see, hunt and/or enjoy the wildlife. Yet the vocal ones that don't like it will have the most impact.

I think that you have to look at particular areas differently. Some areas are more suitable to hold more deer. I, like most everyone love to see alot of deer when I'm hunting. You however don't want to have too many deer in an area to cause sickness or hurt the herd in the area of nutrution. Herd balance, with enough nutrution available = bigger bucks. I think this is one topic that the DNR should decide on.

Top Bottom