Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Wyoming fork horn

jclaws

PMA Member
Well on tuesday sept 7th my buddy asked me if i wanted to go to Wyoming mule deer hunting,so i asked him when and where.He said this weekend and he had no clue where.I thought it was a little short notice but decided that it would be fun even if we didnt bring anything back.I got online to see where there were still tags available.I called the wyoming game and fish and we left on saturday.pulled in to walmart in laramie at 2:30 in the morning,I still had my shorts on from iowa so when i got out of the truck i wasnt expecting the huge difference in temperature.it was in the 30s and a little chilly for shorts.Well i talked to a local co before we left and he told me an area to hunt mule deer.What he didnt say was that the area was nothing but thick pines for miles.Well we set up camp and i introduced my self to some other campers beside us that happened to be from nebraska and had been elk hunting this area for the last 16 years.I told them we were here mule deer hunting so they told me an area that they have previously seen mule deer,so we were off to scout.Every place we went there were fourwheeler trails,and no sign of deer.Well that evening the gentleman from nebraska came over to our camp and said.well i dont like to talk about people behind there back,but me and my buddies were talking earlier and i think i would have a better chance at going to town and picking up shania twain than you guys have at killing a mule deer in this area,and he wasn't a good looking guy so it made me a little worried we were in the wrong spot.The next morning we packed up camp and took off scouting.We headed to town and picked up some blm maps and put some miles on.we ended up in an area that looked alot better for deer.Right away there were antelope all over.It took us a couple days to kind of figure out what was where.we seen alot of antelope.one night my buddy had 2 bull elk right below him,the same night i was glassing a canyon and looked right below me and there was a black bear about 80 yards,my first in the wild so it was pretty cool.the next evening we had a bull elk walk right up to us,but no mule deer.on thursday we decided to head to a thick canyon and walk through it,we had just got into it and i looked up and there was a chocolate black bear right above us.so we snuck up to about 60 yards to video it,maybe not the smartest ideas but it was neat.It ended up winding us and running off.on the last evening we were driving around glassing and i spotted a fork horn mule deer coming down the side of the hill so i had my buddy drop me of behind some rocks.the deer got to 15 yards when i shot it.I ended up shooting it a little high in the shoulder and it dropped in its tracks.You would have thought i had shot a booner because i was estatic.After a week of bathing with baby wipes and not seeing any deer its amazing how a small buck can get you excited.That same evening my other buddy seen a 170 inch mule deer but never got a shot.all in all it was a great trip and i will definately go back,but i would like to try to draw for elk or antelope.Not bad for a 3 iowa guys on less than a weeks notice and never being in this area before.The good thing about public land is that we can go back every year,and every year we will learn more about the area.If i go back to that area mule deer hunting i will have a treestand.there are to many thick trees to be able to spot and stalk them.You cant even see them.i have killed alot bigger mule deer but it wasnt on public ground and not nearly as tough as this hunt.thanks for reading.the date on the camera is off,i shot the deer on sept 16th
2010WYOMING018.jpg

2010WYOMING027.jpg

2010WYOMING010.jpg

2010WYOMING007.jpg

Better chance with Shania Twain. Gonna be laughing at that one for awhile. Congrats on the hunt....sounds like it was a blast.

I think I can smell you guys through the pics. Awesome job, hunting out west is blast and I know all about those baby wipe baths, They make you feel clean but the odor says other wise.
After coming down out of the mountains after 5 days we went to town and I liked to get right next to people in lines and strike up a conversation just to see how long they could hack being next to me. I smelled like a dead ass but had some fun with it. Seemed like the people were a whole lot friendlier before we went up the mountain.

Welcome to the world of Western public land hunting! Nice job on a great DIY public land trophy!! Not all WY areas are draw for antelope, so you should be able to get over the counter tags. Everything is lottery in AZ, but you are welcome. I always keep a good supply of wipes!

Welcome to the world of Western public land hunting! Nice job on a great DIY public land trophy!! Not all WY areas are draw for antelope, so you should be able to get over the counter tags. Everything is lottery in AZ, but you are welcome. I always keep a good supply of wipes!

as soon as we seen all the antelope i called my wife and had her check the leftover tags and they were sold out in that area,but when i got home i checked the draw odds and they are pretty good.

What the he!! ? Where is that book animal ?? Your harvest posts have developed a level of expectation with most of us and I was sorely let down by this one :D.

J/K, looks like a fun DIY trip. I can only hope to get that type of trip done before I am done hunting. Thanks for sharing the images to pump the primer for all of us waiting for Oct-Nov.

Congrats. I just got back myself. Our area was not much for Muley quantity or quality either. Tag soup was in order with my Muley tag.

Top Bottom