Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Wyoming/Nevada/Utah Draw Results

Zim

Anybody do any good in these draws? All posted Thurs/Fri. I cashed 27 points on a Utah Paunsagunt archery mule deer hunt. Dang, sure glad I got some preference points around, because the odds on the random side continue to plummet. Even in Nevada where my 25+ points are SQUARED, my odds decrease every year. I have 477 total and still can only draw where I have the most on the preference side. Western hunting opportunities looking dismal long term. I did not see this getting so bad. Just glad I made a long term plan years ago to ration my best preference based points, which insulated me to a degree. I have enough saved where I know I'll get one OIL hunt each of the next 5 years, until I'm age 70. The other 30 applications are all longshot 1-2% of which I've not drawn any since 2012. May have to lower their use towards mid-low tier units just to burn them! Sounds crazy for what will be 30 point hunts, but sadly, that's where things are headed.

I've also got 6 NR Iowa deer points saved for when my Illinois spots get found by the throngs from Louisiana, or I go dry in the state land lotteries. But not this year! Hit the jackpot on the two best. One thing I love is the fact the Iowa appl deadline comes after all the IL & most the Western lotteries post. So I can afford to save Iowa for when I need them.

Last edited:
I drew a western region general elk tag in Wyoming. I have no idea where I am going or what I am doing for that matter. I have a lot of homework to do.

I drew a western region general elk tag in Wyoming. I have no idea where I am going or what I am doing for that matter. I have a lot of homework to do.
Our group applied for WY southern zone generals, but separately. I was USUC with 0 points, buddy was USUC with 4.5 points, and last guy drew with 0 points. I think his odds came out to 6%.

I’ve got all kinds of points in Wyoming and Colorado- with points creep and 2 little girls at home, might give them up

No luck in…
Wyoming (Elk, Moose, Mountain Goat, Bighorn), Arizona (Elk), New Mexico, Kentucky, Virginia, Colorado (Resident State), Montana, Utah, Nevada, Alaska, Idaho, and Nevada.

Waiting on…
Wyoming (Deer and Pronghorn), Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Florida, Arizona (Bighorn and Deer), Utah Antlerless (Bighorn and Moose), and Oregon.

Last edited:
No luck in…
Wyoming (Elk, Moose, Mountain Goat, Bighorn), Arizona (Elk), New Mexico, Kentucky, Virginia, Colorado (Resident State), Montana, Utah, Nevada, Alaska, Idaho, and Nevada.

Waiting on…
Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Florida, Arizona (Bighorn and Deer), Utah Antlerless (Bighorn and Moose), and Oregon.
Good lord

No luck in…

Waiting on…
Wyoming (Deer and Pronghorn), Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Florida, Arizona (Bighorn and Deer), Utah Antlerless (Bighorn and Moose), and Oregon.
How the H do you keep track of all this. Damn son!

No luck in…

Waiting on…
You know there were zero random bighorn tags in Wyoming this year, and only one random moose tag, right? You've probably got over a grand in donating money for stuff that not only you won't statistically draw, but actually cannot draw by state statute.

You know there were zero random bighorn tags in Wyoming this year, and only one random moose tag, right? You've probably got over a grand in donating money for stuff that not only you won't statistically draw, but actually cannot draw by state statute.
Ewe Bighorn in Wyoming, I don’t buy PP just do random for Wyoming Moose. $84.18 per year plus the two week hold on the $2,767 for Moose in Wyoming since I don't buy PP, last year I'm putting in for that since 90/10 and Wyoming shifting tags around to only allow the one random moose tag for 1 in 600 whatever chance it was this year.

I'm about $2,000 a year in application fees, base hunting licenses to apply, and preference points per year and end up hunting one or two of those states I buy my base hunting licenses in anyway like NM OTC Aoudad, Idaho OTC Bear/Lion/Wolf, Oregon OTC Deer/Elk/Bear/Lion, Colorado Leftover/PLO, etc.

Statistically I always have a chance even if it's small, and that's why I put in. It's my draw strategy and I'll do it how I like. Someone always has something to say about every little thing on here, didn't think I'd have to be so specific.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-06-12 at 8.32.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-06-12 at 8.32.45 PM.png
    34.1 KB · Views: 19
Nothing but props from me. Like reading about your adventures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How the H do you keep track of all this. Damn son!
I also do about 40 applications/year. However, I have dropped out of several after burning points or devalued systems. I keep an Excel spreadsheet with all the deadlines and post dates. But my interest is fading due to the downward spiraling odds. It was soooooo much better pre-internet/paper applications/social media. Once premium hunts are now unrealistic to impossible, even in a lifetime. Glad I made hay while the sun was out, because it's long gone.

Last edited:
I've got 4 points this year for Elk in Wyoming and 3 for mule deer. I think next year I'll be applying. Lots of research to do but after doing caribou in Alaska last August I think I'm all geared out.

Top Bottom