Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Youth Season Bird

jkratz5

Second season behind the gun for my son Ryder. I had been seeing a few birds for a week or so straight in the same field about the same time so was pretty confident we were going to have a good hunt. The only thing I didn't know is where they were roosted so I needed to figure out if I could get to the location I wanted early enough to keep from spooking the birds. Saturday morning the 22nd we made our way about an hr before sun up to the location in the field I had been seeing birds. It was a cold, crisp and calm morning (about 35 degrees) and I was pretty confident the birds would be fired up. About 6:20 two birds sounded off within 150yds, however they sounded like Jakes. They had a very rowdy hen with them on the roost who didn't shut up in the tree for about 30 minutes. Finally, a bit more distant a mature gobbler started to hammer. The jakes decided to pitch down first and on a string came to our setup and started to harass the Avian Jake.

A couple still shots from the video of the spread and early visitors!
1683909612998.png

Ol Boss Hen did not like the Deception Boss Hen one bit!
1683909667106.png

Finally, between the rowdy hen yappin in our spread and me calling the mature Tom started to close the distance. He hammered at what sounded to be 150yds and I was pretty confident it was on. About 2 minutes later he gobbled on a logging road at less than 50yds. We couldn't see him yet due to the setup so that gobble got the ol heart racing and puckered me up. About a minute later he strutted out of the woods and put on a show for us.

1683909749124.png

Calm before the storm!!!
1683909794923.png

He was about 15yds when Ryder let the 12ga. eat and crumpled him without a flop!!

Not sure on weight
9.75" beard
1 1/4" spurs

Glad last years hunt was a grind because this is one of those "perfect drawn up hunts" that rarely happens and I don't want him getting to use to that ;). Never thought the day would come when I would be more excited about my kids harvesting an animal than when I am doing the shooting, almost like I am 12yrds old again hunting and cant contain myself!!!! Congrats again Buddy!

Ryder -2.jpg

Top Bottom