Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Miscanthus x Gianteus

I was thinking earlier that some type of shrub would be a much more cost effective screen. Even though it might lose it's leaves in fall/winter, branches should deflect bullets from road poachers.

So I guess plant BOTH

In my mind I don't think anything can beat a good red cedar screen except that it takes a while to reach the "screening" point.

My Autumn Olives made a great screen in 3-4 years but then you have to deal with the possible invasive issues. They are virtually impossible to kill by fire or otherwise...I just wish I could find another fast growing shrub that would take it's place.

I don't guess this "grass" would be any worse then switchgrass...if some idiot wants to torch it...

I'm like Travis...I have to try some and see how it compares and weigh the pros and cons.

Miscanthus Updates

Last edited:
Fricking nightmare to track a deer through. It looks like the stuff that got loose on some areas of the Platte here and is taking over the native fauna.

I've never dealt with the giganteus but I know that Miscanthus sinensis can be grown into zone 4. It gets between 4-6 feet tall and would make great screening cover in moist soil areas. One word of caution though is that this stuff can be quite invasive and if you had a large area of lowground it could spread and take over existing plant communities.

Anyone know where you can purchase Miscanthus?

Send OneCam a PM if interested in purchasing Miscanthus...:way:

I planted some Miscanthus the other day using the tree planter...worked pretty slick too!

Miscanthusrhizome.jpg

I'm using atrazine on it (to control weeds) and I'm going to give it a boost with some urea and see how this stuff does!

Kinda curious about what soil conditions it will tolerate and growth rates so I'll hopefully add my own results to this post as the year goes on...:)

I put about 60 more in the ground tonight. These things are pretty neat and they did well even in heavy clay. Not as well as the ones in good soil but not bad. I will try some urea as well this year. By the way the ones I took pictures of in Ames were cut late winter there was another stand I could not get a picture of but could see it from a ways away it stood tall all winter. I was at the place this week and they had cut it down for the year.

I went out tonight to split some off and transplant in some bare spots before it sprouted. Guess what I was to late. Here are some one year old plants. This stuff is way ahead of switch grass. I also read a study where fertilizer didn't help this stuff to yield anymore. Be sure and write how yours did.
picture.php

picture.php

I also read a study where fertilizer didn't help this stuff to yield anymore. Be sure and write how yours did.
I have read the same but we did notice the miscanthus planted in a well fertilized yard did much better though it could be contributed to soil quality .

I have read the same but we did notice the miscanthus planted in a well fertilized yard did much better though it could be contributed to soil quality .

Hmmm...I sense another "test" coming on...

I find it extremely difficult to believe that it wouldn't respond to nitogen applications....;)

The plants are looking good! I have some that shot up to over knee high last week and the week before they were barely poking through. Thursday the new split plants were still under by Saturday evening they had decent growth. Amazing growth in a short amount of time I guess a little warm weather does wonders!
I found an interesting slide show with audio from the University of Illinois. This stuff is bound to have an interesting future.
http://www.publicaffairs.illinois.edu/slideshows/Miscanthus_Yield/index.html

The plants are looking good! I have some that shot up to over knee high last week the week before they were barelyl poking through. Thursday the new split plants were still under by Saturday they had decent growth. Amazing growth!
I found an interesting slide show with audio from the University of Illinois. This stuff is bound to have an interesting future.
http://www.publicaffairs.illinois.edu/slideshows/Miscanthus_Yield/index.html

Wow! Great information Travis! The pic of the gentlemen standing in a pathway thru the miscanthus gives me some ideas....;):D

I'm going to check mine this week and see if it's up yet....:way:

Hey,
I checked again yesterday and out of the close to 200 plants, I was able to find 8 maybes and 4 that I'm sure are Miscanthus? Does it usually take them this long to start growing? What's up?

Does it usually take them this long to start growing? What's up?

We are all new at Miscanthus so I guess it will be hard to answer your question with certainty. Are these new plants planted this spring? I would guess the warmer the spot the earlier they will start putting on growth. One Cam had some second year plants that were mulched that have been growing for awhile while I have only seen growth in the last week and a half on sprayed areas with no ground cover. Yet I have some that were split this year at the house that have yet to poke through (last checked Thursday). Keep us updated I will try and get some picts. up later today.

Anyone know if these plants can handling growing near black walnuts? I have an east woodline where these might be nice to use as a screen, but there are a few BW in the vicinity.

Heres the Miscanthus planted last year that didn't get split this year and I can already see they will be much bigger this year.

picture.php

The following picture from Reiman Gardens in Ames is a mature stand tht's over 5 years old an and never been split it was well over knee high. This stand is in a optimal setting getting plenty of water and nutrients. It's the same stand I posted a picture of last Summer.

picture.php

Sounds like the splits will take longer to get growing no doubt lacking the reserves that mature established plants have. ;)

I am going to buy some rhizomes next year BUT only if I can plant them on lower ground. They will be for a road screen, probably need a couple hundred of them. Dbltree, you looked at my low ground before (rarely ever floods but could- very fertile)- seem like that area would be ok? And, from what I previously read- Atrazine resistant- I will likely treat the areas the same as switchgrass, just making sure.

Top Bottom