Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Field peas

Awesome. When the peas flower do they become any less desireable that you know of? And what sort of actual "yield" do you expect to get, if any?

Awesome. When the peas flower do they become any less desireable that you know of? And what sort of actual "yield" do you expect to get, if any?

They are still pretty palatable while flowering and setting pods but eventually, just like soys, they will dry down and they wil go after the dried peas rather then the foliage.

Some of the links at the beginning of this thread will give you an idea of commercial expected yields....:)

Some of the peas are starting to flower now which is perfect timing since we are supposed to get cooler temps after rain this week.

Fieldpeaflowering8-21.jpg

Peas need to flower in cool weather in order to set pods so a hot september would not be helpful ;)

Floweringfieldpea8-21.jpg

I noticed that not only are they killing my brassicas but now are starting to notice my "off the beaten path" pea patchs...:(

You can see the tops are all eaten off from these peas
Fieldpeasgrazedhard.jpg

You can also see that the oats planted with them will be of no use by fall as they are fast maturing although still providing a support to the climbing peas
Fieldpeas8-21.jpg

Heavypeagrowth8-21.jpg

Foragepeas8-21.jpg

One of the main plots they hammered to death...both oats and peas which allowed the foxtail to explode!

Foxtailinpeas.jpg

I nuked it with clethodim (Select 2-EC) and crop oil the other day because the foxtail has actually been protecting the peas!

Select2EC.jpg

I expect the deer will finish off the peas as soon as the foxtail "melts" away but we'll see...

Oatsfoxtailnpeas.jpg

Peasbeforesprayingwithclethodim.jpg

Interesting that where I planted peas in a previous brassica plot the foxtail was not nearly as thick or tall perhaps due to the allelopathic chemicals in the brassicas?

Peasafterbrassicas.jpg

Some places the peas are pale white, missing something but I'm not sure what? No previous herbicide use, plenty of fertilizer so I'm going to soil test in those areas and determine if something is missing or what the deal is.

Whitepeas.jpg

I'm going to be comparing these forage/field peas to austrian winter peas in my fall plantings because AWP's are twice as expensive yet deer seem to be liking the field peas realll well....;)

My field peas are also beginning to turn a pale yellow in parts of my plot. Some are green as can be. I don't know what to make of it. How tall are your peas? Mine are about 10 inches but was wondering how tall they will get.

My field peas are also beginning to turn a pale yellow in parts of my plot. Some are green as can be. I don't know what to make of it. How tall are your peas? Mine are about 10 inches but was wondering how tall they will get.

Some are knee high perhaps but as you can see deer are starting to knock them back pretty good so hard to say how high they might have gotten?

I should have put up an exclusion cage...:rolleyes:

Paul, I would say where the pea's are white, that is compacted soil. Or it also looks like there could be a Dual or similar product carry over there.

Paul, I would say where the pea's are white, that is compacted soil. Or it also looks like there could be a Dual or similar product carry over there.

Well...they are planted on soil that hasn't been worked in 30 years so doesn't seem like compaction would be an issue?

No Dual...no herbicides of any kinds...not even Roundup?

I fertilized heavily including some nitrogen because peas 20-30#'s to get started despite being legumes.

Perhaps some micro element is missing?? I'll see what soil test show...;)

Interesting. I really don't think it will be any type of micro nutrient, most deficencies show up in the leaf, not the whole plant.

Only reason I said compaction, is, this year we had alot of sidewall compaction this year, which is compaction on damp soils when planted. There are alot of soybeans that look like that. Due to the wet soils this year, where they are compacted, oxygen could not get in the soil to "air" it out, and in turn cause the plant not to metabilize properly.

I'll print that picture off and show it to our forage guy and see what he thinks.

Interesting. I really don't think it will be any type of micro nutrient, most deficencies show up in the leaf, not the whole plant.

Only reason I said compaction, is, this year we had alot of sidewall compaction this year, which is compaction on damp soils when planted. There are alot of soybeans that look like that. Due to the wet soils this year, where they are compacted, oxygen could not get in the soil to "air" it out, and in turn cause the plant not to metabilize properly.

I'll print that picture off and show it to our forage guy and see what he thinks.

Ok...so your thinking surface compaction rather then subsoil type problems?

All I can say is that it has rained non-stop here in SE Iowa since April, so that is a very real possibilty. It's not everywhere but obviously there are some low areas and wet spots so maybe that's it?

Thanks for your insight Brian...you see more of such problems in one summer then all the rest of us would in a lifetime! ;)

I also had another interesting thought. SDS or Sudden death sendrome is bad this year due to all the wet weather. I wonder if pea's could suffer the same thing? With the smaller plot, you are going to see it on a smaller scale.

Hmmmmm. I think I'm putting to much thought into it. :grin:

Look at this link Paul. My forage guy just sent it to me. It has everything you need to know about Forage pea's. Disease's, Bleaching (which I now believe that you have), fertilizer rates, chemical choices, I mean everything.

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/afcm/drypea.html

"Pea mosaic, a viral disease, induces severe stunting and mottling of leaves with streaks of yellowing on the stems. Early infection causes the plant to die. Crop rotation is recommended for control"

I've planted a lot of peas and oats over the years to chop for cattle feed. The peas definately don't like wet feet. I've seen that yellowing of the plants before, always when we get lots of rain. That's why they grow them in Canada and also why oats do so much better up there. They don't usually get the heavy rains we do.

I've planted a lot of peas and oats over the years to chop for cattle feed. The peas definately don't like wet feet. I've seen that yellowing of the plants before, always when we get lots of rain. That's why they grow them in Canada and also why oats do so much better up there. They don't usually get the heavy rains we do.
Look at this link Paul. My forage guy just sent it to me. It has everything you need to know about Forage pea's. Disease's, Bleaching (which I now believe that you have), fertilizer rates, chemical choices, I mean everything.

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/afcm/drypea.html

"Pea mosaic, a viral disease, induces severe stunting and mottling of leaves with streaks of yellowing on the stems. Early infection causes the plant to die. Crop rotation is recommended for control"

Thanks for the great information guys!!

Couple of my field pea plots got completely wiped out including the oats but some that were a little off the beaten track are still doing well.

Flowering...

Peasstillflowering.jpg

Peaflowers.jpg

and setting pods

Fieldpeapods9-17.jpg

peapods.jpg

SDC12867.jpg

Pods9-17-09.jpg

Some places they are very heavy and thick (for my heavily grazed plots)

Thickpeagrowth.jpg

Heavypeas.jpg

but someplaces deer have mowed them pretty hard

Pathinpeas.jpg

Thinareasinpeas.jpg

They were really knocking the tops off of some of them

Grazedpeas.jpg

Nippedpeas.jpg

but new fresh winter rye and baby peas have taken some of the pressure off

Where the oats had a chance to grow the peas really climb up the stems

peasgrowingonoats.jpg

and they make a nice combination

Peasandoats.jpg

The thin areas I over seeded with winter rye just as we would with standing soybeans so we'll see how that turns out later this fall.

Where the oats and peas were able to grow, weeds were not much of a problem but where deer hammered them hard I ended up with a sea of foxtail.

One would have to weigh the potential for weed problems against the the advantages of planting with oats to decide which might work best for you...;)

Field pea report from pics taken 10-13-09...despite being planted right beside lush new pea growth and winter rye, they are still mowing the pea growth that was planted back in July!

Fieldpeas2.jpg

They are starting to turn white and I suspect will dry down soon

Fieldpeas10-13.jpg

with hunting seasn in full swing and the rut approaching I will not be checking on these often

Fieldpeas1.jpg

Some pods were fully developed and filled so i will be checking later on to see if they ate the dried peas or just ate up the whole doggone plant!:eek::D
No matter I guess...the whole idea is to feed and attract whitetails and the field peas seem to be doing a pretty good job of both...:way:

How did the field peas do for drawing in deer during hunting season after they dried down? Just looking for an update as it's been awhile.

How did the field peas do for drawing in deer during hunting season after they dried down? Just looking for an update as it's been awhile.

Unfortunately they decided to eat mine before they got to that point so I cannot say for certain. I simply cannot plant enough to keep them from being decimated before hunting season, not unlike soybeans.

From a forage standpoint I did notice that when I compared Austrian Winter Peas with Forage field peas the field peas came out on top! The AWP's are supposed to be winter hardy but it turns out the field peas are more winter hardy!

Here are some field peas planted with rye in September...

RyenPeagrowth30days-1.jpg

and after being grazed heavily all fall and winter and being exposed to a week of temps down to minus 13...what is left of them is still green!

1-19-10WT6.jpg

the AWP's however are kaput

1-19-10WR5.jpg

Not a big deal at this point but since the field peas are 1/2 the price I see no reason to plant AWP's...;)

Would a 50lb bag of field peas stay good for a yr on the shelf? I am going to be planting a new 1.5 acre plot in white clover this spring and was thinking of discing half of it under this early fall and plant peas. BUT if I get a really good stand of clover I might just leave it all in clover for the yr and do the half field peas the following fall. Reason I am asking if the seed would stay good is because I am getting ready to order my clover seed and thought I would order my Pea seed as well to save on some shipping even if I don't use it this fall?

Top Bottom