Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Miscanthus x Gianteus

So how long before I should start seeing these things start sprouting above the dirt. When I planted them they already had sprout coming out of the rhimozomes.

So how long before I should start seeing these things start sprouting above the dirt. When I planted them they already had sprout coming out of the rhimozomes.

I would expect some growth within the next week as we are expecting temps in the high 80's!

I bought some plants so I didn't have to wait and wonder...:rolleyes::D

I would expect some growth within the next week as we are expecting temps in the high 80's!

I bought some plants so I didn't have to wait and wonder...:rolleyes::D

Yeah I thought about just buying plants but the shipping was a lot more. Where did you get yours?

Some insect is eating on my miscanthus. I am thinking of dusting them with some Seven. Anything else I could try to keep them from eating on them. I haven't figured out what insect it is yet.

Some insect is eating on my miscanthus. I am thinking of dusting them with some Seven. Anything else I could try to keep them from eating on them. I haven't figured out what insect it is yet.

That's something new to me?! If Sevin doesn't kil lthem...yikes! :D

Just wondering if there is a post emergent herbicide safe for miscanthus and pampas grass? Thanks

2-4D should be fine for broadleaf control in any grasses with 3-4 but pretty tough to do anything with grasses at this point...;)

Here is some third season miscanthus. I use it for screening my shed from paintballs. It is aleast 9' and maybe taller.

picture.php

picture.php

That's awesome. I can only hope my screen looks like that in 3 more yrs. :drink2: Any special tips or hints you can give? When do you split them? Did you feed them? Any winter loss? Fill us in.

After the first winter I had about three that died. So I took some neighboring roots and filled in. They were spaced 4' apart. Really got thick this year. I have never put any fertilizer on them. About time they are ready to sprout if the wind is good I burn them off. Thats about all I have done.

What happen to this thread? This grass sound very interesting any updates? Would like to hear about the winter kill and the planting zone for this?

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
homegrown-I'm sorry I'm late with a answer. It is one row 4' apart.
bryan- Won't know for a month on any winter kill but I doubt I'll have any. My plants are going into their third year and huge. I'm in the middle of zone 5.

homegrown-I'm sorry I'm late with a answer. It is one row 4' apart.
bryan- Won't know for a month on any winter kill but I doubt I'll have any. My plants are going into their third year and huge. I'm in the middle of zone 5.

Glad to see this thread getting some recent replies because we are thinking of planting some this spring.

Goatman- when you say 'huge', how big do you mean? We are going to plant some primarily as a screen from the neighbors- can you see thru yours? Do you think 2 rows would be better for the purpose we're trying to accomplish or would 1 be enough?

Cousin has a farm with about 20 acres of this stuff. Every year you see new areas that it has spread too. It is pretty neat and does get 9-11 foot tall each year. Usually go down there during the fall and cut some of them, pretty neat.

Cousin has a farm with about 20 acres of this stuff. Every year you see new areas that it has spread too. It is pretty neat and does get 9-11 foot tall each year. Usually go down there during the fall and cut some of them, pretty neat.

I suspect that is Pampas Grass rather then miscanthus, because miscanthus is sterile, it can't spread by seed and only "moves" via rhizomes.

Generally the clumps just expand but they can't "jump" 2-3' which is the nice thing about this grass...it's not invasive...:way:

Here's a pic of Pampas Grass

Pampas_Grass.JPG

Top Bottom