Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Grass is always greener

jclaws

PMA Member
Anyone notice how easy it would be to shoot a big deer if you could hunt another piece of property.I actually dont feel that way,but i catch myself thinking that way at times,especially tough times.Its called hunting for a reason,it is just that, hunting not deer killing.Do i wish i could hunt every piece of property.heck ya,but would it help my success,heck no.when i first started urban hunting i had tons of land to hunt,but the problem was i never put enough time in one spot to actually try to figure it out,once i learned that it started working itself out.this year if i found new ground i let others in on it.this year a landowner that ownes 250 acres beside my inlaws 100 acre farm offered them **** dollars an acre for there farm and told them they could live there for as long as they wanted.which is fine except i have a home on the property which they own.of course they told him no but if i could hunt his side of the fence i could kill a 200 inch buck every year,why would he want this 100 acres of cattle pasture.because i might kill one of his so called bucks that he is raising.It is just getting crazy in my neck of the woods.Its not greener unless you live beside the lakoskys 4000 acres or the kiskys 5000 acres or maybe the lindseys 2700 acres.ive never even killed a big buck buck on our 100 acres.but thats just my thoughts.I wish i had money.

How many of us were dreaming of the ground we could buy if we won the Mega Millions Lotto last week with over $300 million to do it with? I know I was buying a ticket with that in mind.

How many of us were dreaming of the ground we could buy if we won the Mega Millions Lotto last week with over $300 million to do it with? I know I was buying a ticket with that in mind.

I was thinking the exact same thing... Land is always a good investment...or it has been so far. I can't think of a better safe way to put your money into, as 99% of the time you always come out ahead

I sure the heck was:way:

JCLAWS, interesting post given the way my tag-soup season went...especially the late muzzie season. It seemed like every time I drove to my hunting grounds I'd pass a group of deer on neighboring property. My exact thought was, "Well that's why it's called hunting and not killing."

I'll be after them again next year, just hope to get a little meat with my DNR donation :) in the 2011-12 season.

The grass may be greener on the other side, but there is always some body else mowing it. Unless you are hunting off of your back deck or an artillary field (which sometimes sounds like it in my area in December) there is always a possibility of pulling deer your way. Even off of the "refuges." And I to was dreaming of timber when I bought ten chances at the Mega.

This is a good post. You know I never kill quality deer consistently until I started spending my time working only a few small areas. Intimate knowledge of an area and deer movement way beats having alot of ground. I can help wanting more ground though. We are all wired very similarly

There's no farm out there I'd rather hunt than my own. The way I've learned it, how i've managed it, improved it, etc vs all the other farms I see- I just have no desire to hunt other places + most places don't get managed & they have a whole different idea what management is than I do. Some of the farms that the guys say they are big QDMA managers make me laugh- one of my friends had a 120 acre piece & let 5 guys come hunt and every one killed a 2.5 to 3.5 year old buck, so did he, 6 young bucks- he absolutely believes he has a major QDM farm. :) *Most of the best looking farms you see have more problems than you realize: orange armys blazing, trespassing, poaching, too many young bucks killed, too much pressure, guys who don't really know what management is, etc, etc, etc.

If I had all the money in the world, I'd be the 1st to admit- I'd own one of those giant pieces, I'd have one of those 5,000 acre tracts- I'd have all my previously close friends (not my 1,000 new friends) down to hunt every year and we'd have the most fun deer camp with the best hunting in the state- just a dream :)

There's no farm out there I'd rather hunt than my own. The way I've learned it, how i've managed it, improved it, etc vs all the other farms I see- I just have no desire to hunt other places + most places don't get managed & they have a whole different idea what management is than I do. Some of the farms that the guys say they are big QDMA managers make me laugh- one of my friends had a 120 acre piece & let 5 guys come hunt and every one killed a 2.5 to 3.5 year old buck, so did he, 6 young bucks- he absolutely believes he has a major QDM farm. :) *Most of the best looking farms you see have more problems than you realize: orange armys blazing, trespassing, poaching, too many young bucks killed, too much pressure, guys who don't really know what management is, etc, etc, etc.

If I had all the money in the world, I'd be the 1st to admit- I'd own one of those giant pieces, I'd have one of those 5,000 acre tracts- I'd have all my previously close friends (not my 1,000 new friends) down to hunt every year and we'd have the most fun deer camp with the best hunting in the state- just a dream :)

skip thats because you spend all your money on your land.buddy said you were in the bowshop last night and he thought about loaning you some money for some new pants without holes.ha ha ha

I struggle more with sitting in one stand on a property wondering what is going on by the 5 others I have out there.. Did I make the right decision to hunt this one today and so on.. I shall solve that problem as I start acquiring trail cam's and gathering more data on our deer.

And any future Powerball or Mega Million's jackpots will will be used to acquire a good chunk of Iowa timber and farmland.

Despite what almost seems like an endless amount of access I spend 90% of the time on 10% of the land. Better land?? Likely not, just have spent that much more time there an know it intimately. Managed land? Absolutely not, managed for alfalfa and cattle production, not deer. The grass isn't greener to everyone.

skip thats because you spend all your money on your land.buddy said you were in the bowshop last night and he thought about loaning you some money for some new pants without holes.ha ha ha

Now that's funny right there! Anyone that ever sees me at the bow shop or at my farm offers me spare change- I think most folks in that bow shop think I'm homeless :) Guess I just don't care. I have a feeling the archery shop may be having a charity fund raiser for me, if you see a cup by the cash register with my pic- I won't be surpised :)

Great post, I tell you what, every time I hear from Kaare, I get envious of the hunting up there. It just sounds so different for amount of space, hunting pressure, how folks manage (or don't need to manage), age class, etc, etc.

The grass where i hunt would stay alot greener if the poachers and tresspassers would stay out. It is real frustrating when people push the deer all over the countryside.

Top Bottom