Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tresspaser

Checking in on this thread from New Hampshire. Were there any charges brought for him "hunting" without blaze orange since he was pulling out his firearm in the sequence of photos?

Did he show up in court and plead his case?

That's crazy. For a little less than 150 bucks you can go wherever you want. No wonder shed poachers are fearless. Granted I am sure the trespasser in this post got a lot more backlash from this thread than the 150bucks.

I'd be concerned this guy may want to get $150 worth of payback and go break or steal that trail cam.. Maybe you should put up a cam to watch that cam??

Glad you caught this guy and he was prosecuted and this is the end of it..

Then yes it has changed, no warnings or anything. It doesnt matter if youre blind and your seeing eye dog wanders you onto the wrong place and there isnt even a fence let alone a sign if the landowner wants there to be charges there will be.

Well, I've "caught" (via trailcams), FOUR different individuals on my farm since late September. One was in a vehicle and got access via a farm/tractor road ....not far from where I had a different trailcam (new Reconyx-Hyperfire) stolen during last week of December. Cannot prove this truck-guy did it, but am sure he did. No one else is ever back there other than me, tenant farmer, etc. CO's have agreed to cite him for the Trespass -- since he was in a vehicle. This same guy was seen by an eyewitness neighbor shooting onto a diff sections of my property from public road in late December. CO's are supposed to "interview" him about that.

Problem is with the other 3 trespassers, who appear to be "just walking". My place is well posted and all vehicle accesses are blocked by gates (except the one where the Dodge guy was driving ... but that's on top of my Spring to-do list). CO's told me that if someone is only taking a walk ...rather than hunting, carrying sheds, vandelizing, etc... they cannot be cited for Trespass unless you can prove that they have been personally warned in the past. This info given to me by 2 separate CO's. They agreed it was RIDICULOUS but is the way IA laws are. I've since spoken-to and sent follow up Certified Letters to 2 of the walkking trespassers, so next time they can be whacked. There's still one that I can't positively ID, but think I'm close. Sheriff also told me that fine for simple trespass (without hunting, stealing anything, etc) is only $60 ... even on repeat offenses. All seems incredibly liberal to me......... If anyone has any solid info that the above is incorrect, please share.

Well, I've "caught" (via trailcams), FOUR different individuals on my farm since late September. One was in a vehicle and got access via a farm/tractor road ....not far from where I had a different trailcam (new Reconyx-Hyperfire) stolen during last week of December. Cannot prove this truck-guy did it, but am sure he did. No one else is ever back there other than me, tenant farmer, etc. CO's have agreed to cite him for the Trespass -- since he was in a vehicle. This same guy was seen by an eyewitness neighbor shooting onto a diff sections of my property from public road in late December. CO's are supposed to "interview" him about that.

Problem is with the other 3 trespassers, who appear to be "just walking". My place is well posted and all vehicle accesses are blocked by gates (except the one where the Dodge guy was driving ... but that's on top of my Spring to-do list). CO's told me that if someone is only taking a walk ...rather than hunting, carrying sheds, vandelizing, etc... they cannot be cited for Trespass unless you can prove that they have been personally warned in the past. This info given to me by 2 separate CO's. They agreed it was RIDICULOUS but is the way IA laws are. I've since spoken-to and sent follow up Certified Letters to 2 of the walkking trespassers, so next time they can be whacked. There's still one that I can't positively ID, but think I'm close. Sheriff also told me that fine for simple trespass (without hunting, stealing anything, etc) is only $60 ... even on repeat offenses. All seems incredibly liberal to me......... If anyone has any solid info that the above is incorrect, please share.

Yes the law says your trespassing if you enter a piece of land WITHOUT EPRESS CONSENT/PERMISSION so if they didnt get permission from you to be there then theyre trspassing reguardless of if theyre hunting or comitting any other crime. The only exception I see is if there personal property has come to lye on your ground accidentally and then theyre ok to retrieve it if as long as thats all they do and they use the most direct route to do so. But if theyre just out for a hike and wind up on your ground...then its still trespassing. Otherwise anyone could trespass while shed hunting and just have to drop there stash if they see someone coming to avoid charges. I could be wrong but it sounds like the CO is either friends with the trespassers your dealing with or just doesnt want to deal with paper work

Sounds like we need to talk with our legislators about tresspassing laws and putting a little clarification in the rules and teeth in the fines. $60 fine in not much of a determent when chasing a trophy buck or stack of big sheds, especially since its hard to catch, hard to prove and hard to get prosecuted. Most are getting off scott-free and that is not right!

Magnus
Would your land happen to be in Davis county Iowa ?
I have given the sherrifs office a letter from me stating that I want every person caught trespassing on my land prosecuted for trespassing , for liability reasons . They don't have a problem with that . I have prosecuted a lot of people . Once I catch them and prosecute , They seem to stop , least ways I haven't caught any repeat offenders .
Good luck .

they cannot be cited for Trespass unless you can prove that they have been personally warned in the past. This info given to me by 2 separate CO's.
Pretty sure this is where I say, "I told you so."

I cant 100% guarantee you one way or the other all I can say is that I have heard the exact opposite from the police and COs and was even shown in there little code book that it said anytime you enter any piece of private property without the landowner or lessees permission the landowner has the discretion if he wants charges to be pressed or not reguardless if the land is posted or you have been warned or asked to leave and this was less than a week ago. But like I said Im not a lawyer I dont know all the terminology thats used in the code and maybe there was a misunderstanding on my part or the LEOs but thats how it was explained and shown to me. And if you happen to be hunting that it is also a more severe charge that will also count against you and give you three points towards your hunting license.

Last edited:
Well, here's a link to the actual IA Trespass Law from 1999, that I presume is still the most current. Agree with replies above that nothing therein agrees with what I had been told by CO's. I will be getting back to them, now that I have the actual statute and language, and ask for clarification...... Thanks for the help/interest.

http://www.legis.state.ia.us/IACODE/1999/716/7.html

its all up to the County Attorney. here we have an idiot liberal CA that thinks its perfectly legal to wander onto any property as long as you aren't damaging anything, or taking from it. AND, according to her, the property MUST be posted, and you HAVE to give the perp at least one warning... Its total garbage, but there was a case here that was thrown out due to her "perspective" on how the law reads....

again total garbage, but thats WHO ends up making the final say.

a. Entering upon or in property without the express permission of the owner, lessee, or person in lawful possession with the intent to commit a public offense, to use, remove therefrom, alter, damage, harass, or place thereon or therein anything animate or inanimate, or to hunt, fish or trap on or in the property. This paragraph does not prohibit the unarmed pursuit of game or furbearing animals lawfully injured or killed which come to rest on or escape to the property of another.

b. Entering or remaining upon or in property without justification after being notified or requested to abstain from entering or to remove or vacate therefrom by the owner, lessee, or person in lawful possession, or the agent or employee of the owner, lessee, or person in lawful possession, or by any peace officer, magistrate, or public employee whose duty it is to supervise the use or maintenance of the property.

From what im reading from this is that if a person is just walking around on your property they have to be warned before they can be ticketed.But if they are hunting,fishing or trapping they will get fined.Ive never heard of such a thing.

Joe,
I know we're on the same side here --- but I disagree with your interpretation. Immediately above the a. b., etc it says "Trespass shall mean one or more of the following acts:" Within "a." it lists various acts including intent to commit a public offense, alter, damage, harass, etc. But it also lists "TO USE". Reading it with emphasis only on the TO USE act makes it pretty clear to me that trespassing includes: to "ENTER UPON PROPERTY WITHOUT THE EXPRESS PERMISSION OF THE OWNER WITH THE INTENT TO USE THE PROPERTY". I'm skipping some words or options here but don't think I'm taking it out of context. Agree with THA4 though, that at end of the day its really up to County Attorney as to how they want to proceed. I guess in Davis County, Rick Lynch would be the guy to ask. Let me work on that......

In the end it wont matter how we interpret it.It will be up to the sheriff or the co to write the ticket to begin with,then it will be up to the county attorney.It sounds like sending the letter like tawnymara stated and say its for liability reasons might be the way to go. I know they cant say they didnt see the no trespassing signs.Whats bad is that land was posted before you owned it. Good luck!

they cannot be cited for Trespass unless you can prove that they have been personally warned in the past. This info given to me by 2 separate CO's.
Pretty sure this is where I say, "I told you so."

iowa1

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Also thanks for calling me out from up there in MN.

Let me clear something up for you. The dog in my avatar that is standing in front of an IA Sheriff's patrol car is a SO's police K9. He's mine. I'm sure that as smart as you are you've figured out by now that I'm a deputy sheriff in IA.
I'll clear something else up. NO WHERE IN THE IOWA CODE DOES IT SAY THAT TRESPASSERS HAVE TO BE WARNED BEFORE THEY CAN BE PROSECUTED.

But hey, what do I know? So, I thought I'd include the State of Iowa's position on it.

716.7 TRESPASS DEFINED.
1. The term "property" shall include any land, dwelling,
building, conveyance, vehicle, or other temporary or permanent
structure whether publicly or privately owned.
2. The term "trespass" shall mean one or more of the
following acts:
a. Entering upon or in property without the express
permission of the owner, lessee, or person in lawful possession with
the intent to commit a public offense, to use, remove therefrom,
alter, damage, harass, or place thereon or therein anything animate
or inanimate, or to hunt, fish or trap on or in the property,
including the act of taking or attempting to take a deer, other than
a farm deer as defined in section 170.1 or preserve whitetail as
defined in section 484C.1, which is on or in the property by a person
who is outside the property. This paragraph does not prohibit the
unarmed pursuit of game or fur-bearing animals by a person who
lawfully injured or killed the game or fur-bearing animal which comes
to rest on or escapes to the property of another.
b. Entering or remaining upon or in property without
justification after being notified or requested to abstain from
entering or to remove or vacate therefrom by the owner, lessee, or
person in lawful possession, or the agent or employee of the owner,
lessee, or person in lawful possession, or by any peace officer,
magistrate, or public employee whose duty it is to supervise the use
or maintenance of the property.
c. Entering upon or in property for the purpose or with the
effect of unduly interfering with the lawful use of the property by
others.
d. Being upon or in property and wrongfully using, removing
therefrom, altering, damaging, harassing, or placing thereon or
therein anything animate or inanimate, without the implied or actual
permission of the owner, lessee, or person in lawful possession.
e. Entering or remaining upon or in railway property without
lawful authority or without the consent of the railway corporation
which owns, leases, or operates the railway property. This paragraph
does not apply to passage over a railroad right-of-way, other than a
track, railroad roadbed, viaduct, bridge, trestle, or railroad yard,
by an unarmed person if the person has not been notified or requested
to abstain from entering on to the right-of-way or to vacate the
right-of-way and the passage over the right-of-way does not interfere
with the operation of the railroad.
3. The term "trespass" shall not mean entering upon the
property of another for the sole purpose of retrieving personal
property which has accidentally or inadvertently been thrown, fallen,
strayed, or blown onto the property of another, provided that the
person retrieving the property takes the most direct and accessible
route to and from the property to be retrieved, quits the property as
quickly as is possible, and does not unduly interfere with the lawful
use of the property.
4. The term "trespass" does not mean the entering upon the
right-of-way of a public road or highway.
5. For purposes of this section, "railway property" means all
tangible real and personal property owned, leased, or operated by a
railway corporation with the exception of any administrative building
or offices of the railway corporation.
For purposes of this section, "railway corporation" means a
corporation, company, or person owning, leasing, or operating any
railroad in whole or in part within this state.
6. This section shall not apply to the following persons:
a. Representatives of the state department of transportation,
the federal railroad administration, or the national transportation
safety board who enter or remain upon or in railway property while
engaged in the performance of official duties.
b. Employees of a railway corporation who enter or remain
upon or in railway property while acting in the course of employment.

c. Any person who is engaged in the operation of a lawful
business on railway station grounds or in the railway depot. 716.8 PENALTIES.
1. Any person who knowingly trespasses upon the property of
another commits a simple misdemeanor.
2. Any person committing a trespass as defined in section 716.7
which results in injury to any person or damage in an amount more
than two hundred dollars to anything, animate or inanimate, located
thereon or therein commits a serious misdemeanor.
3. A person who knowingly trespasses on the property of another
with the intent to commit a hate crime, as defined in section 729A.2,
commits a serious misdemeanor.
4. A person committing a trespass as defined in section 716.7
with the intent to commit a hate crime which results in injury to any
person or damage in an amount more than two hundred dollars to
anything, animate or inanimate, located thereon or therein commits an
aggravated misdemeanor.
5. A person who commits a trespass while hunting deer, other than
a farm deer as defined in section 170.1 or preserve whitetail as
defined in section 484C.1, commits a simple misdemeanor. The person
shall also be subject to civil penalties as provided in sections
481A.130 and 481A.131. A deer taken by a person while committing
such a trespass shall be subject to seizure as provided in section
481A.12.

Had a guy tell me today that a lawyer advised him to draw up a "hunting lease agreement" and make payment for such (even if only $1) from his father who owns the land. Lawyer claims that tresspassing while hunting on land leased for hunting rights was a $5000 fine. Any one heard this or just another misunderstanding of our crazy laws?

Top Bottom