Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Field peas

Would a 50lb bag of field peas stay good for a yr on the shelf? I am going to be planting a new 1.5 acre plot in white clover this spring and was thinking of discing half of it under this early fall and plant peas. BUT if I get a really good stand of clover I might just leave it all in clover for the yr and do the half field peas the following fall. Reason I am asking if the seed would stay good is because I am getting ready to order my clover seed and thought I would order my Pea seed as well to save on some shipping even if I don't use it this fall?

Germination may begin to drop by then, perhaps to 80% or so but otherwise it will keep if kept dry. :)

So Ive got enough AWP seed for a 1/2acre and a 1/2 plot that was brassicas last year.

My day time temps are up in the 60s and 70s but nights are still in the mid 30s (last night we had 28)

When should I plant these. Let the ground get a little warmer or not? I still need to till it yet as well.

Peas and soybeans sure sound like an interesting combo!! Going to give that a try next spring and still be able to put in a fall plot by broadcasting when the soybeans dry up...if I can get them in in time next year ;)

Can i still plant peas in the next two weeks or is it to late? If I can do i need to plant anything with it? Do I plant the 4010 forage peas?

Can i still plant peas in the next two weeks or is it to late? If I can do i need to plant anything with it? Do I plant the 4010 forage peas?

Right now should be fine to plant peas and 4010 or 6040 will all work fine. You can add oats for the peas to climb but if you have a foxtail outbreak you may have to kill the oast with clethodim in order to kill the foxtail.

Don't forget Cadet for broadleaves! :):grin:

Cadet is safe on peas too Brian??

As far as the peas go I usually plant them with my rye, clover, oats, radishes.
I will not be doing them until late August or labor day.

Should I be planting the peas with something else earlier?

As far as the peas go I usually plant them with my rye, clover, oats, radishes.
I will not be doing them until late August or labor day.

Should I be planting the peas with something else earlier?

I think your best off doing it the way you have been Tony but you can plant field peas in early July for the actual pea production. That can work well but like soybeans deer tend to mow them off if not protected so unless you can fence it's easier just to plant them in the fall for forage only...;)

My question is when should I plant my peas? I want them for bowhunting in october/november and also for late season?

My question is when should I plant my peas? I want them for bowhunting in october/november and also for late season?

If you want hard dry peas then plant in early July, if you want green forage then plant with rye in late August...;)

Top Bottom