Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Miscanthus x Gianteus

All my grasses made it through the winter...They have all sprouted. I was going to split them this yr. but wasn't sure if I should because I wasn't sure if I would of winter kill or not. Now I wish I would of split them. Is it to late to split them once they have sprouted?

I don't have a solid answer to that but the ones I received last year were sprouted in containers so I am going to split some of mine and see what happens? I'll leave the mother plant alone so it shouldn't have any ill effects on the original plant.

Either the new sprouts will survive or not...;)

May 3rd, 2011

The miscanthus plants I planted last spring are up and growing and it looks like they are already providing me with new rhizomes to move!

CIMG2742.jpg

New shoots are appearing next to the mother plants

CIMG2739.jpg

I need to get these things fertilized!

CIMG2740.jpg

I'd like to move some to areas that need screening and keep the weeds under control with atrazine

CIMG2741.jpg

Last year cool wet weather didn't really help growth so I'm hoping for a better growing season this year. Obviously they survived the bitter cold winters however... :way:

Did you mulch over them for the winter? Or is that just your mother plant that has mulch around it?

the latter...I just planted them in a small flower garden area in our yard that is already mulched, so didn't mulch over the plants themselves. ;)

I planted about 400 plugs and some are starting to put shoots of growth finnaly with this cold weather in michigan lately. The pampas grass is not coming up yet.:drink1:

I thought my miscanthus was just slow growing but it appears possible that the supplier sent me a lessor miscanthus and not the giant miscanthus?! Not wanting to waste anymore time I sent for a plant from another source to both compare and be nurtured as a mother plant from which to harvest rhizomes.

IMG_0025.jpg

The stems do look much sturdier so....if at first you don't succeed....try, try again.... :rolleyes:

IMG_0026.jpg

I thought my miscanthus was just slow growing but it appears possible that the supplier sent me a lessor miscanthus and not the giant miscanthus?!

We bought some of this to plant this spring and are going to be buying more down the road....care to tell us who the supplier is?
Have they been made aware of the situation and are they going to make it right with you somehow?

We bought some of this to plant this spring and are going to be buying more down the road....care to tell us who the supplier is?
Have they been made aware of the situation and are they going to make it right with you somehow?

Here's where I got it from: [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Earthly Pursuits[/FONT]

I'm still watching the growth of what I have from them but I suspect it's not the Giant Miscanthus. Other people have ordered from EP and received the correct order and mine does not look like theirs. If I had ordered hundreds I would be really upset but in this case I'll just let it ride...;)

June 10th, 2011

This is the latest giant miscanthus plant purchased this spring from a different source...

IMG_5067.jpg

These are the plants in question purchased last year

IMG_5068.jpg

Growth is much more robust this season but still to early to tell if they are the giant version or not?

IMG_5069.jpg

This is a leaf on last years plants

IMG_5070.jpg

and the latest plant

IMG_5071.jpg

They look identical but only time will tell as the plants grow...I have been feeding them plenty of fertilizer and combined with temps near a 100 this past week and copious amounts of rainfall...they are growing like crazy.

If you have Miscanthus x Gianteus plants...please share pics of growth at this time of year along with the age of the plants... :way:

Here you go Paul. This will be the fourth growing season for this grass. Yours is looking good for the first season.

picture.php

Can't wait till mine looks like that... I will have to take some pics... My tallest grass is about a foot tall and about 13 out of 20 have come up so far... Seems like every day i go out there another one pops up...

This plants looks great......Question though.....I have read some places that say you need to cut it back each year. Are you guys cutting it back or just letting it green up again in the spring? Also, do the deer eat it? No talk about fencing so I am assuming they leave it alone while it is getting established?? They eat everything on my place!! From the looks of it, it appears that you only need to plant a single row for a screen. Thanks.

This plants looks great......Question though.....I have read some places that say you need to cut it back each year. Are you guys cutting it back or just letting it green up again in the spring? Also, do the deer eat it? No talk about fencing so I am assuming they leave it alone while it is getting established?? They eat everything on my place!! From the looks of it, it appears that you only need to plant a single row for a screen. Thanks.

I haven't heard of any deer eating it and none have touched mine thus far. Mine is young yet but we other like kind ornamental grasses here at our home and we usually do cut them off before spring. I think like any WSG, occasionally mowing or burning the dead straw would be helpful.;)

A client of mine has a big old clump she said i could have it is about 15 foot wide and very old.I didnt have time to dig it up this spring could i dig it up in sept.then transplant or should i wait for late winter again.Or could i do it now?I can probably water once a week.

That will produce alot of plantings! I would wait untill early next spring to dig and split. With a mass that big you may want a backhoe. :D

Top Bottom