Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sugarbeets

Mike got some sugar beets planted this week...

2011planting041.jpg

Looks like it worked up nice!

2011planting043.jpg

Conventional beets are a little more difficult to control weeds in but if one is willing to spend the money on herbicides you can get the job done.

2011planting044.jpg

No question whitetails love those beets so we'll follow progress on Mikes place this summer... :way:

sugarbeet ?

Is it too late to plant sugarbeets? Maxirack ....where had good luck with other seeds said to wait till fall....that just due to weed control? Can't get them plant for another wk tho......should I wait or plant them in a wk? Any help would be great thanks!

Weeds are a big problem with spring planting but I like what the finish product of a spring planted crop (football size) does compared to a late summer planting. The bulbs if planted later in the summer will be less than half the size(about grapefruit size at best) of spring planted crop. A good clean plot to start will help big time; but if you just have grasses then 6 oz a acre of a Clethodim product will do wonders. Broadleafs are much more a problem but if you plant the seed and give a shot of GLY before the seeds germinate if weeds are present of course that will help also. I use Betamix and am trying Upbeet this year as a post emerge; but those are quite costly but it is worth it to me just by the late season attraction. I may try a late summer plot this year since I have about 5 pounds of seed left...Good Luck...

I believe it is only available to producers of sugar and seed. NO PLOTTERS!! I also heard that the producers have a hard time getting seed. Alot of paper work and all seed must be accounted for before seeding and after. Crazy

Is it too late to plant sugarbeets? Maxirack ....where had good luck with other seeds said to wait till fall....that just due to weed control? Can't get them plant for another wk tho......should I wait or plant them in a wk? Any help would be great thanks!

You cannot wait til fall to plant sugar beets...terrible advice! Sugar beets require 120-150 day growing season so planting them in the fall would be like planting corn in the fall...a waste of time!

Get them planted ASAP if that is your intent but be mindful of the need for some fairly complicated weed control via special herbicides used for beets.

Here is a look at what Mike just used...

I sprayed 1.5 pints of Betamiix and 1/2 ounce of Upbeet herbicide per acre with about 13 gallons of water. I am using the micro dosage or multiple application. I will come back in 6-10 days and hit it again. Depending on the grasses coming in I will hit them with 5 ounce of Clethodim per acre at some point I am sure.

Look back towards the beginning of this thread for more information on SB herbicides...as mentioned RR beets are not available to us and may never be again?

I planted a couple of acres of sugar beets from Fridge Forage this spring. It was a new food plot and I knew that weeds would be an issue.

I controlled the grass a couple weeks back with some generic select I got at the local coop. The ragweed then began to come in. It actually started to take the plot over. So after getting laughed at at the local coop, I found this online. http://www.keystonepestsolutions.co...-replaces-stinger-garrison-herbicide-282.html
Was it cheap? Nope, however the one gt will do 6 acres. I sprayed 12 oz of this stuff last saturday on two acres. The photo below is the result from today. Looks like the ragweed got smoked!
390-beetsfullsmall.jpg

Could I use SHARPEN?

If you are talking about Sharpen from BASF, then NO, you can not use it on any standing crop, it will fry it to the ground within 12 hours. Sharpen is only to be used as a pre-emergence herbicide.

But as far as using at a pre-plant herbicide, I think 2 oz/acre will do the trick and give you some residual.

June 23rd, 2011 Sugar beet report

Mike sent pics of his WI sugarbeets that look great despite the cool rainy weather up his way, he has used the following herbicide mix twice now and has one more application to go.

combination of 1/2 oz of Upbeet per acre and the 5-6 pints of Betamix

MikeSB1.jpg

Some sunny summer weather will have these beets growing like crazy!

MikeSB3.jpg

Gonna be a busy place this fall! :way:

MikeSB2.jpg

July 10th, 2011

Mike says not much to report on the sugar beets except that they need rain!

MikesJulySB1.jpg

They look pretty doggone good despite the dry weather! :way:

MikesJulySB2.jpg

When do the deer really start to notice the sugar beets? is its like brassicas after the 1st frost? do the deer on his farm like the sugar beets over the brassicas or is it just to have another different food source for the deer?

When do the deer really start to notice the sugar beets? is its like brassicas after the 1st frost? do the deer on his farm like the sugar beets over the brassicas or is it just to have another different food source for the deer?

They don't need a frost and often will star feeding on them a little "too early" on some farms. Mikes sugar beets largely succumbed to drought this year unfortunately so we won't get to see much from them this year.

Sugar beets are not for the novice since they require special herbicides and spring planting, that being said they are a very attractive food source for whitetails...:way:

To bad about mikes plots they looked really good. Mine were the same way. No rain killed them. Will try again next year.

September 14th, 2011

Mike sent me some pics of his sugar beets in a lower area of the field that didn't burn up during the drought and they look pretty good!

2011planting129.jpg

The high ground is toast but it looks like his deer will still have some good eatin' this winter! :way:

2011planting128.jpg

Ok, has anyone heard any updates on RR sugar beets? Here's one article of about a dozen available...
http://www.bushnell.com/products/tr...2e537024-F64E01DC-C605-7B66-7607445827D78E39&

says Feb 2011 but it looks somewhat restricted?? Maybe like RR alfalfa is? Is there a viable source to purchase this and has anyone had any success obtaining since these announcements in Feb? I am not sure the difficulty on these restrictions BUT it would be nice to 1st find a source they could be obtained from???

Side question, we all know the reasons to not have brassicas planted year after year. Simply for DISEASE reason - what are your thoughts on going from turnips/radishes one year to Beets the next? Just based on disease. I know you'd miss out on soil building & nitrogen fixing BUT just curious.

I don't think were going to see RR beets approved for food plots Skip and although you could rotate brassicas and beets that would be a little like rotating corn and milo.

Always best to rotate to a legume if at all possible (soybeans or clovers) and then back to a nitrogen using crop.

Top Bottom