Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

First foodplot has me excited!

jclaws

PMA Member
My inlaws own a 100 acre farm that i live on but i rarely hunt,My wife hunts it every year though.On the back of the property there is a small couple acre secluded field that has cedar trees on three sides.Ive never hunted it because i couldnt find a tree to hunt out of,so last year i went in and cut a cedar tree out and hung a treestand in it.I hunted it a few times and saw a boat load of deer,Just no shooters.The land around it is managed for deer so i decided a couple weeks ago to take the tractor back and do some tilling.I couldnt afford to plant the whole field so i tilled up two seperate spots.I planted one in clover and put some turnips and rape around the edges,and the other field is just turnips and rape.Last week we finally got some rain so i went back last saturday to check it and i was excited to see some growth.I just thought i would share some pics.
The date on the camera is wrong.
The first picture is where my stand is.
foodplot2011003.jpg

This is the field i put in around my stand.I figured since i dont have many options for stand placement and i would just make the deer come to me.This is the clover field.After reading on here i wish i would have put some winter rye in it also.But im new to foodplots.
foodplot2011004.jpg

foodplot2011009.jpg

And this is the turnip field.
foodplot2011011.jpg

This is the growth i have so far.
foodplot2011002.jpg

Joe its not to late to put some rye in clover plot, its pretty cheap insurance for a good clover stand and dynamite to hunt over, great weed control come spring so saves money on Herbicide. should I go on and its only $12.00 a bag. I am planting some rye this weekend for both another guy and myself.
Looks like a dynamite spot and I am sure I will see some harvest pics from your wife over those turnips. If you need some rye let me know.

Joe its not to late to put some rye in clover plot, its pretty cheap insurance for a good clover stand and dynamite to hunt over, great weed control come spring so saves money on Herbicide. should I go on and its only $12.00 a bag. I am planting some rye this weekend for both another guy and myself.
Looks like a dynamite spot and I am sure I will see some harvest pics from your wife over those turnips. If you need some rye let me know.

X2 Good advice here! Looks like you need a blind back in there, should be a killer spot!

Looks great! Seems you've done your research -- my first plot didn't look ANYTHING like that unfortunately.

Looks awesome! I just broadcast some cerial rye last weekend into an existing plot that hadn't done too well and had lots of open dirt. I'd give it a try based on what Dbltree and others have said on here. Good luck!:way:

Top Bottom