Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Blackhorn 209 vs. Triple 7

Cornfed

Bowhunting Addict
I am not wanting to start a "Chevy vs. Ford" post here... just looking for serious experience good or bad in foul weather with these powders. I am wanting to try Blackhorn 209 in my new inline muzzleloader this year... but I am concerned how this or any other powder performs in wet weather. I will be hunting the late season..... Triple 7 seems to get a lot of good reviews online when checking customer feedback.... others seem to LOVE or HATE Blackhorn 209, some seem to have horror stories about miss fires with Blackhorn....

Any thoughts on these powders from experience is appreciated :way:

I just made the switch from 777 to blackhorn and am still in the process of patterning and what not but so far so good

I have not used triple 7, so I can't comment directly on your comparison. I have previously been a user of pyrodex but made the switch to BH209 last year and so far so good! Use a hot primer CCI Magnums and you should be good to go. Hardly any fouling and, one of my favorite parts is the breach doesnt get stuck when using it! It may be a little more of a hassle to shoot loose powder than pellets (if pellets are what you currently use). But all-in-all, I will stick with Blackhorn.

My recommendation would be get a bottle and try it. The only way you will know if it works for you is if you shoot it. (don't load 150 grains tho)

Honest opinion. We'll never shoot 777 again. Blackhorn is incredible!

777 you have to clean between every shot or three shots at the range - BH209 you don't (that alone sold us)

777 seems to have a shelf life once opened - BH209 doesn't

The accuracy we get with BH209 is unbelievable, 200 yds is an easy shot with little wind and a solid rest. Little wind is the key...

I've heard of guys having hang fires using BH209. We use it in our 3 muzzleloaders and the uncles/cousins use it in their 3 muzzys as well. We all shoot CCI 209 primers (sometimes the regulars, sometimes the magnums... haven't noticed a difference in ignition or accuracy, heck we've even alternated between primers when practice shooting and it doesn't change a thing.) Those primers are a reloading primer and burn very hot. We've shot well over a 100 rounds with BH209 and never a hang fire. I hunted early muzzy in 2009 and it was rainy nearly every day, we'd bring the gun inside and it would get condensation on it like crazy. I got nervous about the powder in the barrel a couple times so I'd shoot it off into a ditch just to check it and it fired everytime. Same goes for the nasty late muzzy hunting, never had a problem. I'd reccomend it to anyone!

777 you have to clean between every shot or three shots at the range - BH209 you don't (that alone sold us)

The accuracy we get with BH209 is unbelievable, 200 yds is an easy shot with little wind and a solid rest. Little wind is the key...

I've heard of guys having hang fires using BH209. We use it in our 3 muzzleloaders and the uncles/cousins use it in their 3 muzzys as well. We all shoot CCI 209 primers (sometimes the regulars, sometimes the magnums... haven't noticed a difference in ignition or accuracy, heck we've even alternated between primers when practice shooting and it doesn't change a thing.) Those primers are a reloading primer and burn very hot. We've shot well over a 100 rounds with BH209 and never a hang fire. I hunted early muzzy in 2009 and it was rainy nearly every day, we'd bring the gun inside and it would get condensation on it like crazy. I got nervous about the powder in the barrel a couple times so I'd shoot it off into a ditch just to check it and it fired everytime. Same goes for the nasty late muzzy hunting, never had a problem. I'd reccomend it to anyone!

Thanks for all the input guys!.... this is exactly what I needed to hear... I feel that most situations where BH209 has failed has been due to poor cleaning, using weak primers (which I have read it requires a hot primer, the company recommends CCI 209M primers), or poor breach plug maintenance.....

I am wanting to get this new gun dialed in before bowseason starts.... so I can concentrate on hunting.... :way:

Is it really that much cleaner? I've noticed 777 to be awfully dirty but that is all I've used. Would be nice to have a cleaner burning powder,.

Is it really that much cleaner?

YES!!

I've hunted with a muzzleloader for 20+ years and have used all the 'other stuff' and Blackhorn 209 is the best thing to happen to muzzleloading since in-line/209 ignition!
The ONLY thing that would be better is if it came in pellet form, but I measure out some charges before heading to the field & put them in the tubes and it's really not that big of a deal.
Trust me, this stuff is awesome!

YES!!

Blackhorn 209 is the best thing to happen to muzzleloading since in-line/209 ignition!
:way: Agreed! This stuff is great!

You nailed it with poor cleaning, breech plug maintenance, and not using the proper primer being causes for issues. I'm hesistant to tell people about this stuff... it's hard to get a hold of sometimes during the season. They're always sold out! :D

I am new to ml hunting last year. I used 777 in my TC pro hunter on a semi damp morning. Had a nice buck come out, pulled the trigger and only puffed smoke.
I was really pissed! The moment of truth is when it counts and 777 failed me!! Needless to say I will be switching to BH209 this season. It sounds like the ticket!!

Negatives to BH209...

1. More likely to misfire than pyrodex or 777.

2. Hard to clean the breech plug. Almost to the point you can't.

3. Some see this as a positive but I do not. Use gun cleaning solvent to clean.

4. There are guns and breech plug designs that it should not be used due to increased chances of a misfire.

5. Must use the right primer.

Not meaning to have a negative sounding post. I'll share more of the positives about the BH209 later if not already brought up or brought up by someone else. Just sharing some warnings. Some guns, you shouldn't use it all. Others, make sure you maintain your breech plug and use the right primer.

I have not used triple 7, so I can't comment directly on your comparison. I have previously been a user of pyrodex but made the switch to BH209 last year and so far so good! Use a hot primer CCI Magnums and you should be good to go. Hardly any fouling and, one of my favorite parts is the breach doesnt get stuck when using it! It may be a little more of a hassle to shoot loose powder than pellets (if pellets are what you currently use). But all-in-all, I will stick with Blackhorn.

My recommendation would be get a bottle and try it. The only way you will know if it works for you is if you shoot it. (don't load 150 grains tho)
Why not use 150 grains? I use 150 gr 777.. if I switched, what would it be compared to with BH209

I switch ed to BH 209 as well and am not looking back. it is definitely easier to clean and i do not get the same crud ring as I do with 777. I have a TC Triumph and 120 grains with 290 grains barnes TMZs. my group at 100 is a little more than MOA and am very comfortable taking a shot out to 200 with it

Negatives to BH209...

1. More likely to misfire than pyrodex or 777.

2. Hard to clean the breech plug. Almost to the point you can't.

3. Some see this as a positive but I do not. Use gun cleaning solvent to clean.

4. There are guns and breech plug designs that it should not be used due to increased chances of a misfire.

5. Must use the right primer.

Not meaning to have a negative sounding post. I'll share more of the positives about the BH209 later if not already brought up or brought up by someone else. Just sharing some warnings. Some guns, you shouldn't use it all. Others, make sure you maintain your breech plug and use the right primer.

I am familiar from reading reviews, etc. with all the above mentioned points... however, can you explain #2 further..... I have been told that BH209 has much less fouling, and thus is much easier to clean, but like you mentioned gun solvent is needed NOT water....

Poweder trends in muzzleloaders have changed so much over the years, from pyrodex to triple 7 to Clean Shot to Shockeys Gold and now BlackHorn 209 is the hottest selling powder. Hard to stock a shop since I still have guys shooting each one.

Poweder trends in muzzleloaders have changed so much over the years, from pyrodex to triple 7 to Clean Shot to Shockeys Gold and now BlackHorn 209 is the hottest selling powder. Hard to stock a shop since I still have guys shooting each one.

What is your opinion of the best to use Boyd?

Blackhorn all the way. Its so easy to use its not even fair, plus you don't have to swab between shots. I've never had a misfire with the stuff using Winchester shotgun primers and just making sure my flashhole is always clear.

Call me lazy or whatever but I just got tired of swabbing after every shot and trying to scrub out that nasty ring that 777 leaves.

Sighted mine in with BlackHorn209 last fall and it shot better than I have ever had a muzzleloader shoot - extremely accurate and easy to clean. Never had a problem reported to me with the BlackHorn. Only complaint is the price but then again, a bottle lasts a long time. Not quite as convenient as pellets of 777 but loose powder always shot more accurate for me than pellets anyway.

Is it true that you have to use a gun solvent, and if so what solvent do you use? I currently use 777 but was also thinking about changing due to 777 being hard to load after the 2 or 3rd shot.

I use Hoppes #9 and it works just fine. Montana X-Treme makes a solvent that is specifically for Blackhorn 209.

Top Bottom