Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Fanny Packs?

camo658

Does anyone here hunt with fanny packs? (probably)

If so, how do you like them and would you recommend them?

I'm thinking of getting one, this year, so I can better carry all my calls and hunting misc... with me..

My main concern is it getting in the way when your pulling up on a buck and releasing..

Any experiences?

My 3rd grade art teacher used em alot. Jokin aside Im sure it would come in handy. I just hand my pack next me and leave it open.

My 3rd grade art teacher used em alot. Jokin aside Im sure it would come in handy. I just hand my pack next me and leave it open.

Okay, I'm thinking of getting a smaller one.. I'd rather where it but if it gets in the way I guess I could hang it..

Anybody else?

Have used one for several years. I had a smaller one and upgraded to a larger one (keep buying too much gear I guess!). Great for packing in your calls, scents, etc. If you're packing in extra clothing to dress more at the stand, a backpack would be better. Last year I took the bag that my blind came with to pack some larger items in (again, too much gear probably). I just hang/set my pack beside me within reach to get at all that gear when needed. I use sticks and or ladder, so I hang it on those instead of a branch. My larger one came with a water bottle and removable extra pockets so everything isn't in the same compartment. Both are Walmart specials.

Also, I wear mine in to the stand with the compartment behind me, so it doesn't get in the way. Never wear it in the stand, but I guess you'd have to have the compartment in the front if you want to sit down.

Last edited:
When I'm hanging and hunting I use a blacks creek "fanny pack" just smaller and easier to carry when I've got a stand on my back.
If I'm going to a pre hung stand I just take my backpack and hang it next to me in the tree where I can still acess it but it won't be in the way of shooting

I have used the Badlands Monster Fanny Pack the last couple years and I like it. Although after buying it, makes just as much sense to use a back pack. I shed hunt alot and always have my fanny pack with me when out walking. I also hang mine once situated in the tree and keep it open. When I pack in clothes, I use the straps of the pack and drape the clothes over them while walking out to the tree. Very durable pack.

I have never used one for bow hunting. I do use one for muzzy season. Keep my extra speed loaders and a couple other necessities in it.

They are good. I've had a natural gear one. I will say that if you do get one, get one with shoulder straps because they don't sag down or anything like that with straps. A small enough fanny pack that doesn't sag down wont hold enough gear in my opinion.

Having said that, if you're going to have shoulder straps, you just as well wear a backpack. I like the Cabela's Elite Scout Pack. The open compartment/strap in front with the buckles is great for hauling your bibs, extra clothes, or jacket in to the stand etc... Has a small compartment at the bottom about the size of a fanny pack, but I feel it has more versatility.

Also, that open compartment is big enough and strong enough that I can put a hang on stand in there and buckle it in. Works great for hauling in a treestand.

Thanks for your replies.. I'm thinking about getting one so I don't have to where a call around my neck or fumble around in a back pack for stuff while on stand. I try to limit what I carry to only what I'll need or might need. I than just leave everything else in a pack at the vehicle or in a back pack at the base of the tree..

For those of you who do "wear" it on stand... Does it get in the way when your drawing on and releasing at a deer?

I use one every sit, only way I don't is if I do an all day sit and need to pack in a lunch. Yeah ppl make remarks about using one but who cares, not like we are out to impress..

I got mine at Thiesens a few years ago. It the Thompson Center fanny pack. The other pack I use is also TC, but the camelback style back pack. Fill the bladder with h2o and a few candy bars n sandwiches in with my other things. Neither get in the way what so ever.

If I wear it on stand, I loosen the strap a bit and wear it off to my left side. Usually I'll hang it on my bow holder or an extra screw in step.

If I wear it on stand, I loosen the strap a bit and wear it off to my left side. Usually I'll hang it on my bow holder or an extra screw in step.

JRudd, Thank you for your reply. I was thinking of doing the same.

Has it ever lead to a blown opportunity at a deer?

I always haul my back pack up in the tree with me and hang it on a hook on the side of the tree where I can easily access it. I've never had a blown opportunity because of it. I just make sure the part that goes against your back is flat against the tree and it keeps all the straps and loose things from blowing in the wind.

JRudd, Thank you for your reply. I was thinking of doing the same.

Has it ever lead to a blown opportunity at a deer?

Never has for me at least. Its just easier than using a back pack, and more comfortable to take it off while on stand.

I will say that if you do get one, get one with shoulder straps because they don't sag down or anything like that with straps. A small enough fanny pack that doesn't sag down wont hold enough gear in my opinion.

Agreed. mine does not have shoulder straps and if I'm not wearing heavy clothing, such as early season, it tends to sag down quite a bit and becomes a real "fanny" pack, almost to the point of being below the fanny. Shoulder straps would be nice. May have to see if I can rig some up on mine now that I'm thinking about it.

I use one but I take it off when I'm in the stand. I like it because I pack in a lone wolf a lot and it will ride below the stand. If your putting a lot in it definitely get one with shoulder straps.

I've used one for years. I spin it around so it faces forward once I get set in the tree. It keeps the contents very accessible. Ripped it last year so I bought a backpack that I'll try this year.

I started out with one for a couple of years. Then every time I'd walk to the stand i would bring something new every time. It just got to be too much for me so i bought a backpack from gander mountain. I love it. But I don't know how anyone can hunt with out some type of fanny pack or backpack!

Top Bottom