Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Any here shoot traditional bows only?

Altiman94

I am likely going to make the switch to all traditional bow hunting for 2013. I'm just looking to get a little more out of the hunt and enjoy shooting trad bows more than compounds at the range.

Anyone out there doing all trad?

I bought a recurve last year, swearing off compounds for good! I got tired of all the marketing hype and knowing that in 5 years 330fps will probably be on the slow end of speed bows. So I thought to myself "I'm going to go the simple route, and get back to traditional archery".
Fast forward a few months and I find myself in the woods, on the ground probably 20 yards from a deer I later name the "Fortunate one". I draw, aim and release just as I'd done all summer long. I watched in complete disbelief as my arrow, flying true towards this deers vitals makes a sudden 90 degree nose dive right into the dirt about 5 yds in front of the deer. He runs little ways, snorts, looks around and wanders off! I swore, snuck out of the woods and came back the next day with my Hoyt compound.
Lessons learned? ALWAYS make sure your broadheads are properly tuned. That and try to find a compromise between the heaviest arrow your bow will shoot and something a little faster. I can't wait to try again next year though.

I started out recurve - switched to compound during college and have been shooting recurve for the past 7 years. It carries its own set of challenges but the reward of a harvest with a recurve is truly invaluable. I would recommend shooting in as many 3d shoots as possible and key word is practice. You can't just pick up a bow and shoot a few hundred arrows through it and think that you can be effective.

Switched after the 2011 season to just shooting a Recurve. Killed a nice buck last December with it. I'm hooked on it until I get too weak to shoot one. After over 30 years shooting compounds, I wish I would have tried a Recurve a long time ago. It's so much more enjoyable to shoot.

Last edited:
back in early 2000 i went all traditional for a few years. Killed my first traditional deer with a thunderstick longbow from the ground with wooden arrows. Then i bought a black widow recurve in 2003 and shot a couple good bucks and some does with it.In 2006 i went back to a compound so i could reach out a bit farther. Now im thinking of getting back into it this year to change things up a bit. Practice is the key!!

I just got my new Tall Tines Longbow and I have been shooting down the basement working on my form, I have a lot to learn. I am fully commited to switching over for 2013 fall. Can't wait to kill my first buck with it. My antler size requirements might go down for a year or two ; )

I had a self imposed retirement from shooting a bow in spring of 2011 due to arthritis in my bow hand thumb and right wrist. Thought I was done for good but I did go out and shoot a recurve last summer a little and was actually planning on going out tomorrow with a lighter pound longbow and do some stump shooting. I need the exercise so I'm going to just have to put up with the pain.
I've been shooting stick bows since 1968. I did shoot wheel bows for some time but never stopped shooting traditional. Gave up the wheel bows for good when I hit 50 and never looked back.
For quick shots they can't be beat. Practice lots and enjoy the sport. It's very addictive.
My best advise I can give is find your own style of shooting, just because so and so writes a book about it, doesn't make they're form work for everybody.
Good luck :way:

Bow1-Copy.jpg

I did not know there was anything else? ;)

Since 1964, took 5 years off in the 70's to try the compound but it never
gave me the satisfaction or challenge of a simple stick & string and working my skills to their best.

Discovered by trial and error "that one lugs a compound, carries a recurve, but a longbow just floats along".

Got into the romance a bit making some of my own stuff.

I'm not quite as good looking or well skilled as Shovel Buck, but we share
similar passions. :way:

It is all in the mind & heart. Best Wishes! ;)

13-023web_original.jpg

Last edited:
Wanted to make a hedge bow and back it for years. Anyone use a black widow?

Since 1996...they are outstanding bows. However, anymore there are many out there of the same high end quality. With Widow you are partly paying for no questions asked customer service. They are standouts in that respect. Shoot a few brands and models til you find one that feels like it's a part of you. You'll know what I meen when you put the right bow in your hands.

Being consistent and successfull with traditional gear takes dedication. When you arrive there.....there is no going back.:) It gets to be part of you. The challenges and success keep you coming back.

I built myself a woodshop in 2010 and am slowly aquiring the tools to build my own bows for friends and family. I enjoy the entire process. It gets to be a part of your life for many people.

I just ordered a hybrid long bow from Don Dow. I had one when I first started shooting a stick bow, but sold it to fund something else. I'll likely start carrying that vs. my Hoyt Buffalo since it will be lighter, quieter, and lower hand shock. I just need to start looking for a nice leather bow quiver and get some arrows flying well out of it!

Have shot a Hoyt compound for many years. In July I purchased a Black Widow PCH 60" -47# draw weight @30 " The guys at BW were fantastic. Can't say enough good things about how patient and helpful they were. I am pushing 65 yrs. old and didn't want to overbow , that is why I went with 47# draw weight.Problem is it is so much fun to shoot I have a tendency to shoot to much. Far better to shoot 1-3 arrows at a time to work on form developing good form first.Don't get discouraged. You will have good days and bad days. You will hit plateaus and can't seem to get better. Then there will be a breakthrough and you will see improvement. I am still hunting with both compound and recurve(for now) and although some say you can't do both well, I disagree. My compound confidence has soared. And My recurve performance is definetly improving. All I can say shooting a recurve is the most fun I have had in a very long time. I shoot every good weather day and my goal of 80+ percent of shots in the kiil zone out to 20 yards is pretty much there....a poor release, followthrough, break in concentration usually accounts for the 20 % non kill zone. I killed my first deer with a recurve in 1967....46 years later I am hoping for a repeat.....GO FOR IT, YOU WON'T REGRET IT.

Welcome to the fold. Eat, sleep and breathe trad. That's not to say I don't incorporate some high tech into my scouting here in Iowa... I'm not getting any younger. Tradgang on the web is a good place to visit for all levels of traditional experience.

I draw, aim and release just as I'd done all summer long. I watched in complete disbelief as my arrow, flying true towards this deers vitals makes a sudden 90 degree nose dive right into the dirt about 5 yds in front of the deer. He runs little ways, snorts, looks around and wanders off! I swore, snuck out of the woods and came back the next day with my Hoyt compound.
Lessons learned? ALWAYS make sure your broadheads are properly tuned. That and try to find a compromise between the heaviest arrow your bow will shoot and something a little faster. I can't wait to try again next year though.[/QUOTE]
Arrows don't do that... fly true then take 90 degree turns - not in any direction, unless they hit something. You can't cut corners with traditional equipment. You can't skip a step in the process. You can't fake it. There is no place for phonies in the ranks of traditional shooters. You have to be real and you have to be humble. These aren't rules. These are the results; and necessary in becoming a traditional archer.

i shot a compound for about 10 years had some great sucess shot a lot of deer. i always wanted to shoot a longbow. I bought books and taught myself to make bows.went out the first year and shot a small buck on the ground at 6 paces. i like keeping things simple.Even when I shot a compound I never used sights.I plan on shooting one till i can no longer pull it.Always shoot with in your effective killing range.I like to b real close.I think 10 yards is my farthest shot to date.

Arrows don't do that... fly true then take 90 degree turns - not in any direction, unless they hit something. You can't cut corners with traditional equipment. You can't skip a step in the process. You can't fake it. There is no place for phonies in the ranks of traditional shooters. You have to be real and you have to be humble. These aren't rules. These are the results; and necessary in becoming a traditional archer. [/SIZE][/QUOTE]

WRONG. Those are the rules, not the results. And one doesn't "become" a traditional archer in the sense that you're referring to. The minute you start flinging arrows from a trad bow you are a traditional archer.
It is a discipline that requires alot of practice in order to become proficient though. As a result of this necessity there are varying degrees of skill commensurate to ones level of commitment. Its not some elitist club, a badge to be earned or even a level of spiritual enlightenment and to imply that one must somehow quest to become a traditional archer is monumentally ridiculous.

Last edited:
Arrows don't do that... fly true then take 90 degree turns - not in any direction, unless they hit something. You can't cut corners with traditional equipment. You can't skip a step in the process. You can't fake it. There is no place for phonies in the ranks of traditional shooters. You have to be real and you have to be humble. These aren't rules. These are the results; and necessary in becoming a traditional archer. [/SIZE]

WRONG. Those are the rules, not the results. And one doesn't "become" a traditional archer in the sense that you're referring to. The minute you start flinging arrows from a trad bow you are a traditional archer.
It is a discipline that requires alot of practice in order to become proficient though. As a result of this necessity there are varying degrees of skill commensurate to ones level of commitment. Its not some elitist club, a badge to be earned or even a level of spiritual enlightenment and to imply that one must somehow quest to become a traditional archer is monumentally ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

It is a discipline that requires alot of practice in order to become proficient though. As a result of this necessity there are varying degrees of skill commensurate to ones level of commitment. Its not some elitist club, a badge to be earned or even a level of spiritual enlightenment and to imply that one must somehow quest to become a traditional archer is monumentally ridiculous.
[/QUOTE]
You're entitled to your opinion. But to say I'm wrong is a bit arrogant. Are you arrogant? Maybe just a bit, huh? To imply that one is a pitcher simply because one throws a baseball is monumentally ridiculous. It seems to me by contradicting yourself in the areas of discipline and commitment we are in agreement. Or may be you believe arrows do take 90 degree turns, as implied by the original post I replied to.

You're entitled to your opinion. But to say I'm wrong is a bit arrogant. Are you arrogant? Maybe just a bit, huh? To imply that one is a pitcher simply because one throws a baseball is monumentally ridiculous. It seems to me by contradicting yourself in the areas of discipline and commitment we are in agreement. Or may be you believe arrows do take 90 degree turns, as implied by the original post I replied to.

I know, but thank you anyway.

You are wrong. You being wrong does not make me arrogant.

Yes. I am. Arrogant. A little bit.

If one stands on the pitchers mound during a baseball game and throws the baseball toward home plate while another player tries to hit that ball. That person is a pitcher. The same principal applies to archery. Or driving a car. Or even competing in a hot dog eating contest.

Is a 9 year old kid who pitches in little league not a pitcher because he can't throw an 80 MPH fastball? To think not would be...well...ridiculous.

As for my original story, I was being facetious. Embellishments sometimes make stories more fun to hear or read.

Top Bottom