Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Egyptian Wheat

We use 100# urea per acre, where did you come up with 3 ? :confused:
Paul,
I went 100lbs. per acre of the Urea.

For the Milo I went 3lbs. per acre with the seed.
Sorry about the confusion. I just wanted to make sure
that was enough Milo with the EW.

If u added some EW to the 3 lbs of milo - you will be fine. For your goals, under the recommended seed rate is better than over the seed rate. I'm hoping you did a few lbs of EW as well.

If u added some EW to the 3 lbs of milo - you will be fine. For your goals, under the recommended seed rate is better than over the seed rate. I'm hoping you did a few lbs of EW as well.

Sligh,
I did 6 - 8 lbs. on the EW and 3 lbs. on the milo.

The only reason to spray would be if you have a big massive flush of weeds & they better be bad at that. Beyond that, leave it alone - the EW/Milo will blow past any weeds you will see later. If you don't spray and have bad broadleaf problems, later you could do 2,4-D.

I've got one particular strip where broadleaves grow like gangbusters and compete with the EW/Sorhgum. The rest is looking great thanks to the Atrazine and pre-prep ground work. The EW/Sorhgum is anywhere from 2-5" right now, planted on Memorial Day. At what point could I spray that problem area with 2,4-D and at what rate in a 4-gallon backpack sprayer?

2-4 leaves on EW but you have to calibrate your sprayer to know how much area it covers ours does roughly a 1/2 acre

Just checked my EW this past weekend, its coming up great in 2 of the screens. The other screen has a lot reed canary in it, and its about the same height as the EW. Is there anything I can spray that will kill the RC grass?

Just checked my EW this past weekend, its coming up great in 2 of the screens. The other screen has a lot reed canary in it, and its about the same height as the EW. Is there anything I can spray that will kill the RC grass?

Not with out killing EW

Have you ever raised to good of a crop? The heads on my EW are so heavy they are pulling the stalks down. Planted at 6lbs/acre and urea at 200lbs/acre. Went with heavy urea as we had lots of rain early.

Have you ever raised to good of a crop? The heads on my EW are so heavy they are pulling the stalks down. Planted at 6lbs/acre and urea at 200lbs/acre. Went with heavy urea as we had lots of rain early.

Normally, my food plot issues are the REVERSE of something growing too well! :D So no, I have no idea what you are talking about here. :D

Just a thought though...while the EW plants falling over may be a bad thing from a plot screening standpoint...your game bird population will be very happy to find those seeds on the ground I suspect.

I have never seen that with EW, I have with forage sorghum. Hard to say but 200# urea will sure make it grow :)

This is what I was talking about. We've had some wind but it keeps leaning over.
picture.php

Heavy seed heads.

picture.php

My path i cut out to stand. Think I will have to do it again before season.

picture.php

picture.php

I don't think I have seen anything like that yet? Did you purchase seed from same supplier?

Not sure I have the answer but you definitely grew a great crop of EW! :)

I don't think I have seen anything like that yet? Did you purchase seed from same supplier?

Not sure I have the answer but you definitely grew a great crop of EW! :)

That could be it dbtree. Bought from Cooper before and think this came from Hancock Seed.

Try Iowa - Missouri hybrids next year, Aaron will ship exactly what you need and the seed has always performed well for us. 641-919-1695

Could also be partially to do with "perfect conditions" for massive seed heads... You planted early, put a ton of fertilizer down, seeded at right rates, kept weeds out and we had plenty of rain. Just saying maybe the massive seed growth season & good job you did planting could have something to do with it? Still looks like a pretty darn good screen, hope it doesn't go flat & doubt it will but sure doesn't look awful at least.

Question , was going to screen my plots this year with EW, you guys think BB would work better considering it would come back every year once established.. Just asking never screened my plots so would like to know what you guys think..Thanks

If you are wanting something that comes back every year check out the giant micanthus thread or try switch grass. The reason I'd shy away from big blue is it tends to get matted down during heavy snows. Switch will as well but I'd say it's better than big blue for a screen. The giant mincathus would be better than BB or switch by far though!

Going to screen my plots this year with a mix of Red Top, EW, Pearl Millet . Has anyone experimented with any mixes that worked well for them. Going to hit it hard with some urea.. I have a lot of this seed left over from last year so I said why waist it ! I think if I don't go to heavy should be good.

I have some road traffic close by makes the deer a little skidish . How wide do you guys normally go , say a strip 10ft wide .. ? Plus screen the neighbors out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom