Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mid Contract Management

Monsterbuck

I have some acres I put into CP33. I just got a letter that I have to do mid contract management which includes discing it 2 times. This must be done before may 15th. For those of you who have experience with this I have some questions.

When they say disc two times does that mean go over it twice or do I have to do it two separate times allowing weeds or something to grow in between?

When do you typically disc? I am a bit afraid that the ground will be wet and muddy in the spring. The area is a lower area near a creek so it does have some wet/muddy areas.

The letter mentioned interseeding. I am not required to do this but is there something that you guys are interseeding when you disc? Would broadcasting some switchgrass seed in areas be a good idea? Would it do well or would the existing NWSG grow fast and shade it out before it got established?

Thanks for any help.

What do u want in the end? Thick bedding? U better have switch seeded before March to stratify. Discing Crp- there's no other options such as burning, mowing, interseeding? U have to disc it? Ugggghhhh. What is there now & is it great cover or what u want?

I was told that the reason for discing was to promote weed growth. There was a big uproar by the farmers at one of the FSA meetings I attended. They said they have spent the last 30 years getting rid of weeds and now they are told they are a good thing???? It was explained that weeds such as ragweed was actually good for wildlife. all of the taller weeds promote inset life and that is great for the quail and pheasant chicks.
Our CRP was divided into three parcels and we had to disc a section twice every other year. year 1,3 and 5 of a 10 year contract. we interseeded with some native grasses and switchgrass. We are into our 8th year now and I have to admit the quail and pheasant numbers are improving. In 2008 I never saw a pheasant on my place and now we hear and see them all the time. I have some other ground not in CRP that I will do this on also.

What do u want in the end? Thick bedding? U better have switch seeded before March to stratify. Discing Crp- there's no other options such as burning, mowing, interseeding? U have to disc it? Ugggghhhh. What is there now & is it great cover or what u want?

It's a 40 yard buffer around my field. Getting some bedding cover would be great.

It's currently coming into year three of the CP33 NWSG mix. The first year it was thin as it was growing roots, this past year it really looked better. I am expecting it to really look good this year. I have noticed that deer are bedding in the CRP along the creek so it's working.

You can disc or burn. They marked discing on the forms but I think burning would be an option although I would have to verify. Thing is I have a disc and can easily do that but I would have to hire burning out and have no idea of the cost so discing is a lot easier.

I have quite a few acres in CP33 and the lightly discing 1/3 each year is what I have seen.Usually they only do the discing at owners request or if in a bad place to burn.CRP can actually get so thick that young game birds cannot travel and they will die.Some of my CP33 expires this year and I don't think I will reup.CRP is a great program but now I would like to try to make the cover something more than grass.i see very little bedding in them for deer.I do see a lot of use by gamebirds.Just call and ask your rep as they each kind of run their own show

Top Bottom