Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Kids and Crossbows- Slippery Slope

I know there is a belief that allowing our youth hunters to use a crossbow during archery season would increase interest in Bowhunting. I can't argue this point because it may in fact be true. However, I do strongly believe this is a "slippery slope" that will ultimately deteriorate the sport of Bowhunting. I know that this statement will bring on a total wave of opposition. I have been reminded that the same comparison was made with the introduction of the Compound. I am fully aware of the advancements in archery equipment, however the use of a bow and arrow is still an art unlike the use of a cross bow. The skill of movement in the outdoors is more forgiving for a hunter on stand when he is holding a Crossbow. To clarify this point, I will explain what every Bowhunter already knows which is the timing of a draw while on stand. It is so crucial to pull back a bow not only without being detected, but also being able to hold the string while the animal gets into range. Once our kids pick up the crossbow they will most likely never return to the compound/cam bow. We really have enough technology in the field without pushing crossbows on our kids. As parents we see the video games taking over and people's constant need for stimulation 99% of the time. Bowhunting is patience which that alone seems to be a dieing sport. If someone really wants to shoot a crossbow I have no problem allowing it during gun season.

Agree on all points. I think, I hope if they left it for hunters to decide the fate of this argument crossbows during archery wouldn't be allowed for anyone other than those physically unable to draw a bow.

Here we go again with the" I am a more skilled hunter than You rhetoric." I sit on the ground with my CrossBow,,and when in a tree I am not very high,, almost eye level. I have to be patient and watch my movement also. I had a doe spot me last season on the ground. I swear I barely moved at all. Deer in Iowa are getting more spooky, since I came here. MO looks like they may include all bows during bow season. Its getting closer! Doesn't scare me!

Crossbows for seniors and disabled & late ML season. Leave this crap alone. Quit frigin messing with our regulations. Let's be CLEAR.... Behind the scenes... Crossbows will come to the forefront from the crossbow companies and their lobbyists and is rooted in $, period. Some folks, just like ANY stupid regulation change that hurts the herd will go along with ANYTHING proposed, regardless of its outcome. Year round rifle season in Iowa would get support from some people here. The impact on our resource and quality of our herd are not part of the motive and discussion here - it's purely coming from the Crossbow Lobby & Crossbow manufacturers with MONEY at the bottom of this. The best way to get them in the door is start with a "Wedge", like they always have and push it farther every year, start with Kids, then all of bow season, etc. that's their tactic they've done in many other states. It's shady BUT they know that's how to start it with their end goal in mind that will simply take a few more years. Ridiculous. LEAVE IOWA REGULATIONS ALONE. QUIT MESSING WITH OUR DELICATE SYSTEM. This is beating a dead horse - we just got done fighting off the crappy regulations we had to reverse because of the same short sighted, special interest seasons - Late Shed Buck season - finally got rid of it. How long until we get our next waive of ridiculous "monkey wrench" regulation changes they are chomping at the bit to throw in our system? Leave us and the regulations alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Change will come,,and it won't Hurt the" herd"....

Change has came and went. It didn't hurt the herd in the past? The late shed buck season didn't hurt the herd? More tags and more hunters shooting didn't hurt the herd? Access to land and pressure hasn't been hurt in the last 5-10 years? Really? Man do we disagree on this. I've seen it in this state and countless others what happens when u pimp out the regulations for $ and special interests. Leave the regs alone.

I said I was gonna drop this but yer pullin my chain. It is an arrow with feathers or vanes, not a bullet. The arrow flies and can be nocked off coarse, and deer can jump the string, just as with all bows. Most bow hunters use" triggers" now. I started with 3 finger grip, before releases were invented. I have seen scopes for verticle bows. You have to sit quiet and watch your movement like all bow users. You should get close to your game, not sit back across a field with a firearm. OK this poor horse looks bad.......I'm OUT....:)

Here is a run down folks. Many are against them and many are for them. You will not persuade the person of the opposite view to change their mind on the topic therefore either respect each other's opinions or beat that dead horse. I have beat the dead horse too many times to count.

Why not have more oportunities for folks to hunt? The more people we can introduce to the sport the better off it will be. Hunting and fishing is trending downward in regards to numbers of sportsman. I really think the number of people who utilize a cross bow who do not have a disability or strength issue, ie: kids and maybe some woman, will eventually plateau at a relatively low number in comparison to vertical bow hunters. The challenge of limited movement while trying to draw back a bow, hold it and estimate the distance is all part of the game that I think most people would rather play long term. I personally have three close friends and relatives who physically cannot draw back a bow effectively anymore and would most certainly qualify for the disability permits but would rather not bow hunt at all then utilize a cross bow.

I am not sure where to start, but I dont think anyone is against someone disabled using a cross bow. If I was hurt and couldn't draw a bow I would before I would pick up a gun. It's good the way it is. And I don't buy the kid angle. Why? So if a kid can't physically handle a bow or gun they need to wait til they can. I see these kids that are in pictures or on video really not caring a lick, playing on a phone or iPad waiting for dad to tell them a deer is in range. Then gun to dads shoulder they aim and pull the trigger. Then dad rips the gun away and the kid doesn't even understand what just went down. What ever happened to taking the time to learn? As for needing more hunters I don't get that either. have you been to the woods or public ground lately? 10-15 years ago there were way less people out. Now every season is loaded with people. Shed hunting is a track and field sport now. I agree we all need to do more to support our love of hunting but getting a ton more people out hunting? Where are they going to hunt? Hard to find private, land is getting leased up, there is only so much public. I don't know.

I am not sure where to start, but I dont think anyone is against someone disabled using a cross bow. If I was hurt and couldn't draw a bow I would before I would pick up a gun. It's good the way it is. And I don't buy the kid angle. Why? So if a kid can't physically handle a bow or gun they need to wait til they can. I see these kids that are in pictures or on video really not caring a lick, playing on a phone or iPad waiting for dad to tell them a deer is in range. Then gun to dads shoulder they aim and pull the trigger. Then dad rips the gun away and the kid doesn't even understand what just went down. What ever happened to taking the time to learn? As for needing more hunters I don't get that either. have you been to the woods or public ground lately? 10-15 years ago there were way less people out. Now every season is loaded with people. Shed hunting is a track and field sport now. I agree we all need to do more to support our love of hunting but getting a ton more people out hunting? Where are they going to hunt? Hard to find private, land is getting leased up, there is only so much public. I don't know.

I usually just sit back and read everyone's comments on these subjects but it's hard for me to keep quiet on this one. You don't buy the kid angle? I took up the great sport of deer hunting when I was young and I'm very thankful for what the sport has done for me. I grew up with cousins that about the same time I started hunting and fishing they started getting into bad things. If I hadn't been so ate up with the outdoors I'd have been right there with them doing the bad things and prolly still there today just as they still are. I'm so thankful I chose the path of hunting and fishing at an early age. That being said if my daughter wants to hunt I'm gonna be 100% supportive of her because I hope and pray it blesses her the way it blessed me. You say if a kid can't physically handle a gun or bow they should wait. My daughter will be 8 this fall. She's a very small girl weighing only 45 pounds. She handles her shotgun well with the aid of a trigger stick. She's killed 4 turkeys and one deer and I've never held the gun for her or aimed for her like you mentioned. And after every kill she's always so excited. On multiple occasions she's been so happy and thankful she's been to happy tears. She has a bow and loves to shoot it year round but she's only physically able to draw 12 pounds due to her size. If you ask her what she wants to deer hunt with 10 outta 10 times she's gonna beg to shoot a deer with her bow. It breaks my heart to tell her she can't yet and she has to wait till she can use her gun. I'm not a fan of cross bows at all but I would 100% support the use of them for our youth. You made the comment if you was hurt you'd use a cross bow before a gun. Well why can't she use one till she can draw a bow with enough poundage to harvest a deer with. If she was allowed to use a cross bow during archery season it would give her a lot more time in the outdoors enjoying the privilege we are all blessed with. As for not needing any more hunters I just as you have to deal with finding hunting spots but if we can get more kids involved in the great sport instead of being glued to TVs, video games, drugs, etc etc etc then yes I think we need more hunters. I think the world we live in would be better off of our kids were more into hunting and fishing instead of video games and TV.

I'm sorry for the long rant and mean you no disrespect when voicing my opinion just as you voiced yours

I usually just sit back and read everyone's comments on these subjects but it's hard for me to keep quiet on this one. You don't buy the kid angle? I took up the great sport of deer hunting when I was young and I'm very thankful for what the sport has done for me. I grew up with cousins that about the same time I started hunting and fishing they started getting into bad things. If I hadn't been so ate up with the outdoors I'd have been right there with them doing the bad things and prolly still there today just as they still are. I'm so thankful I chose the path of hunting and fishing at an early age. That being said if my daughter wants to hunt I'm gonna be 100% supportive of her because I hope and pray it blesses her the way it blessed me. You say if a kid can't physically handle a gun or bow they should wait. My daughter will be 8 this fall. She's a very small girl weighing only 45 pounds. She handles her shotgun well with the aid of a trigger stick. She's killed 4 turkeys and one deer and I've never held the gun for her or aimed for her like you mentioned. And after every kill she's always so excited. On multiple occasions she's been so happy and thankful she's been to happy tears. She has a bow and loves to shoot it year round but she's only physically able to draw 12 pounds due to her size. If you ask her what she wants to deer hunt with 10 outta 10 times she's gonna beg to shoot a deer with her bow. It breaks my heart to tell her she can't yet and she has to wait till she can use her gun. I'm not a fan of cross bows at all but I would 100% support the use of them for our youth. You made the comment if you was hurt you'd use a cross bow before a gun. Well why can't she use one till she can draw a bow with enough poundage to harvest a deer with. If she was allowed to use a cross bow during archery season it would give her a lot more time in the outdoors enjoying the privilege we are all blessed with. As for not needing any more hunters I just as you have to deal with finding hunting spots but if we can get more kids involved in the great sport instead of being glued to TVs, video games, drugs, etc etc etc then yes I think we need more hunters. I think the world we live in would be better off of our kids were more into hunting and fishing instead of video games and TV.

I'm sorry for the long rant and mean you no disrespect when voicing my opinion just as you voiced yours

My daughter is six and she is very small also. She is tough and strong but she will not be able to draw 45/lbs for a while. So she will have to wait, watch and learn. Then hopefully she will want to take that step when the time comes. I am not against kids hunting. I am against dads hunting thru their kids. Kids have to learn just because they want something doesn't mean it will happen. Patience is the biggest key to hunting. Shooting with a shooting stick is not the same as shooting with daddy holding the gun. If you can manage a gun on your own all the more power to you. But these situations are NOT the same. And being physically immature and physically disabled are also NOT the same. Cross bows are not the same as archery period. Use them as a gun, classify them as guns. As for more people, I don't see how things are better now that way more people hunt. Now i am not referring to the next generation. Hunting does absolutely need to be passed on. But now we are facing things that done bode well for the future. Land prices are driven higher, permission is tougher, more un ethical hunters. It's more expensive, its being invaded by money grabbing companies. Your telling me if 3-5 more guys hunted your farms it would fine with you? You take days off and go to your spot to find 2 trucks already there? That would surprise me, if you think about it honestly.

Last edited:
I have a shared my strong feelings on the subject here before but can't this crap wait for after January 11?

I have a shared my strong feelings on the subject here before but can't this crap wait for after January 11?

Agreed... It would be entertaining in the 3 months of the winter but after 3 months of disagreements no ones mind would be changed on how they stand. In 1997 a wanta be on tv came and hunted with us. He said never argue with the anti hunters cause you won't change there minds just let them talk and then move on. The time will come in the future when we will have to take a stand on this matter then that's when the fight will begin.

I say open cross bows to everyone, just like bicyclists can utilize public roads like automobiles. Both have wheels as crossbows and verticle bows have strings. On the access side more licenses and tags sold means more revenue. Add in more equipment sold which means more tax revenue. Licenses, tags, taxes equals more money for conservation and land purchases for more public hunting. Its gonna happen might as well accept it.

I have several rules for life. Two that are germane to this discussion are never tell a mother their baby is ugly and never tell some one how to raise their child.

I'll do neither here. I'll simply say my parents wanted more for me than they had and I wanted more for my children than I had. In that vein it is only natural for parents that grew up hunting to want their children to hunt earlier than they did and be better at it than they are. Some feel a crossbow is the ticket to that reality.

I can't fault a parent who feels that way, it is the natural progression of society and culture. Nor can I fault the parent who resists the urge to provide instant gratification to their child. The parent who wants to be sure their child is mature enough to understand that hunting is more than heads on a wall, high fives and hugs is also teaching their child a valuable lessen, the lesson of things earned not given, the lesson that a life has been taken, the lesson that some times a parent has to say no.

Raise your children the way you want them to raise your grandchildren. In my opinion that would be with respect for all, earning rather than taking, giving more than receiving and the ability to just say no.

Top Bottom