Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tips to catching pond cats?

Buckdown89

Looking for advice on fishing a farm pond for catfish... Any advice as to where to try it this time of year?

Looking for advice on fishing a farm pond for catfish... Any advice as to where to try it this time of year?

The deepest spot in the pond. Sandy flats at night. Fresh dead chubs or smashed leopard frogs are my favorite in the fall. If the pond has cats in it, you shouldn't struggle to catch em.

The deepest spot in the pond. Sandy flats at night. Fresh dead chubs or smashed leopard frogs are my favorite in the fall. If the pond has cats in it, you shouldn't struggle to catch em.

Odd we were catching them in probably 3-5 foot of water the other night after a big rain where the creek dumps in .

A bobber and stink worm with stink bait will catch em all night long. Could fish off bottom as well. Regular old worms would work but stink bait will stack them up.

Way back in the day when I lived in Iowa and did more farm pond fishing than anything else, we would slay them on chicken livers on the bottom and something my grandpa, a former meat cutter, saved and called "Beef melt". In all my anatomy classes, I've still never figured out there that came from in a cow, but he said it "helped strain the blood.' It was spongy, meaty stuff in between two layers of thick gristle. Hard as heck to get on a hook because of that gristle layer, but its stayed on and we racked 'em up on that stuff, too.

Way back in the day when I lived in Iowa and did more farm pond fishing than anything else, we would slay them on chicken livers on the bottom and something my grandpa, a former meat cutter, saved and called "Beef melt". In all my anatomy classes, I've still never figured out there that came from in a cow, but he said it "helped strain the blood.' It was spongy, meaty stuff in between two layers of thick gristle. Hard as heck to get on a hook because of that gristle layer, but its stayed on and we racked 'em up on that stuff, too.

Google search shows that beef melt is either pancreas or spleen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pv4jUZd1kI

Catfish

A side note fishing tale

I just returned from a western adventure. 3800 miles that included 4 hours fishing below the Garrison Dam in North Dakota. 4 fisherman includint two boat drivers produced 45 2-10 pound channel cats. There is NO limit on catfish in North Dakota. Drifting and jigging frozen smelt.

Top Bottom