Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Been shooting Thunderhead Broadheads

Trapshooter1

And am thinking about switching to a mechanical or a fixed/mechanical hybrid. My main concern is no expansion. I'd have Mr.Big walking by make the shot but no expansion. But I want the cutting radius and a heavy wound channel. (Thunderheads 100 grainers have been very good for me killed my biggest deer this year with 1) What's the best mechanical???Or hybrid???

Why the change? I have never lost a deer with the Thunderheads. I'm the kind of guy that if it's not broke don't fix it. I have always worried about no expansion myself.

I personally shoot the G5 T3's through my bow. I've always considered trying other types of broadheads, but like stated above "if it's not broke don't fix it." Now as far as expansion I've never had any issues with the T3's, but that's not to say it would never happen. I'd just shoot what's currently working for you!

I shoot the Rage 2 blade 2.3. Never had a issue and they have helped with some marginal hits. Great wound channels and great blood trails. I have questioned the strength of the blades but so far I have 0 complaints or malfunctions so far.

Buy reading your post I know what your reaction will be if things ever go wrong if you switch to expandables. You will cuss them because you have doubts now that they might not open:mad:. Many hunters use them and that's fine different strokes for different folks.
If the Thunderheads have served you well over the years I see no reason to switch JMO.

I made the switch from slick tricks to grim reapers a few years ago. I was in the same boat as you but since switching every buck I've shot has crashed within 60 yards. The few I've shot with slick tricks all made it out of sight and it wasn't because of shot placement. The expandables do way more damage. Slick tricks always did me well but my one reason for switching is that I'm colorblind so I'm a horrible tracker. So far the 3 bucks that fell to the grim reaper - no tracking job needed.

I shoot the Rage 2 blade 2.3. Never had a issue and they have helped with some marginal hits. Great wound channels and great blood trails. I have questioned the strength of the blades but so far I have 0 complaints or malfunctions so far.
The blades are intentionally not hardened on pretty much all broadhead blades now a days. Too hard and the blades can shear or snap the pins (on expandables). They are designed to bend and not break, that way the blade continues to cut if it hits a bone or rib.

To the original post, I recently went the other way, from rages to slick tricks. I love the wound channel on rages, but I hate how much energy they lose on impact and how the blades like to slip out of place while in my quiver. I would also ask how high your poundage is and how heavy your arrow is? If you're shooting 60lbs with a light arrow, then I'd shoot fixed. I've heard good things about the rage hypodermic, trocars and the hybrid heads.

I shot thunderheads for years and killed,elk,deer,bear,mountain lion with them and didn't have an issue except for longer shots with flight.I now shoot the slick trick mag they shoot great and penetrate well

I wouldn't switch broadheads unless you went to another fixed blade like a Ramcat, Muzzy, or similar. If it is not broke don't fix it.

Shooting a Victory Elite 350 with SS insert and a Rage Hypodermic 125g. Last deer I shot it zipped right thru. Never yet had an issue with Rage and it has saved me at least once. Shot a grim reaper expandable back in the early mid 2000's

Friend and I shoot Reapers and the Wasp Jak-Knife....farthest any of our dear got was maybe 50-75 yards before they dropped. I'd say most mechanicals work great but if you're looking at not having expansion issues make sure you're shooting a higher poundage or a dense heavy hitting arrow like the FMJs.

I have shot Thunderheads since 1985. I have had more success than failure . I did switch for about 5 years to Montec and I am going back to Thunderheads. Montes are a great head however I have been unable to sharpen them after a season of in and out of the quiver. I can't get the edge I feel is right. Thunderheads are blade exchangeable.
Stay with Thunderheads. People stare about mechanicals however you can't change simple science......It is Impossible not to lose energy !!!!!!! Fixed blades will lose less energy on impact

Always liked cut on impact fixed blades and won't change. Here's an example of bone penetration with a 100 grain Steel Force.

full

Top Bottom