Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New bullet and load

cybball

Well, after using 777 pellets along with Hornady SST 250 grain bullets the past few years, I made the switch. I had problems with the bullets not expanding in deer and leaving zero blood trails. So, after reading some on IW and other spots, I picked up some Barnes Expander 250 grain bullets along with some Blackhorn 209. I went Saturday to sight it in. Wow, what a difference that 209 is in my TC Triumph. I shot 8 times (dead on at 100 yards) without swabbing/cleaning my gun. The 777 pellets caused me to clean/swab the barrel between shots. So much cleaner to shoot. The Barnes bullets are really tight going down the bore, but so were the Hornady. I'm hunting late season, so I haven't hit a deer with one yet, but that's my next test, which will seal the deal if they open up and leave me a red trail or knock the deer down.

Feels good to get to this point. :)

You won't regret that switch. Did you get the Barnes MZ expanders or one of the tipped ones?

You won't regret that switch. Did you get the Barnes MZ expanders or one of the tipped ones?

Expander with the wide hole. I wanted to get away from the polymer tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Expander with the wide hole. I wanted to get away from the polymer tips.

The Barnes polymers are good. But that original expander will give you some ridiculous blood trails! You're gonna like it.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

The Barnes polymers are good. But that original expander will give you some ridiculous blood trails! You're gonna like it.

That is the goal. My gun is a tack driver, but no blood is frustrating. I’ll report back after filling a tag.

That is the goal. My gun is a tack driver, but no blood is frustrating. I’ll report back after filling a tag.

Yep. I shot one deer with an sst. Put them in the gun cabinet and haven't shot one since. They shot nice but man what a bunch of junk for expansion..

Yep. I shot one deer with an sst. Put them in the gun cabinet and haven't shot one since. They shot nice but man what a bunch of junk for expansion..

Totally agree. Shoot really tight groups. Awesome bullet for target shooting. I like finding deer I shoot though. Actually found all 5, but wasn’t easy. Last one was in fresh new powder snow. Not a drop of red. Followed tracks and found him.

No matter which Barnes you went with they will perform. Here is a Barnes TMZ pushed by 50 grains of Blackhorn that was found just under the skin of the youth deer my brother was the guide on. 70 yard shot and broke two ribs. Even with only the entrance hole the blood trail was good but that didn't matter due to the deer dying in the field 40 yards from where it was shot.
5a803a0c5ac24b59ba137c6e91ffe15c.jpg
592250a620653246760fb8b36a7facc7.jpg

In my experience, that's pretty much what the Barnes coppers all look like whether they are from wife's muzzy or Remington shotgun slugs. They do expand!

No matter which Barnes you went with they will perform. Here is a Barnes TMZ pushed by 50 grains of Blackhorn that was found just under the skin of the youth deer my brother was the guide on. 70 yard shot and broke two ribs. Even with only the entrance hole the blood trail was good but that didn't matter due to the deer dying in the field 40 yards from where it was shot.
5a803a0c5ac24b59ba137c6e91ffe15c.jpg
592250a620653246760fb8b36a7facc7.jpg

Bingo! That is what I want to see. Thanks!

Update. Shot a doe tonight withe the barnes expander. 108 yards. Aimed for her shoulder and squeezed off. As the smoke cleared she was on her side in the picked bean field. I looked away for a sec and looked back to see her up and running down the field. Into the timber she went 300 yards away. Ran fine. Found gray hair clump at the hit site. ZERO blood anywhere. Going back in the morning to look again. Good grief.

Update. Shot a doe tonight withe the barnes expander. 108 yards. Aimed for her shoulder and squeezed off. As the smoke cleared she was on her side in the picked bean field. I looked away for a sec and looked back to see her up and running down the field. Into the timber she went 300 yards away. Ran fine. Found gray hair clump at the hit site. ZERO blood anywhere. Going back in the morning to look again. Good grief.

The gray hair is odd, but everything else sounds like a hit over the spine. Weird.

The gray hair is odd, but everything else sounds like a hit over the spine. Weird.

I’m baffled. That gun shot dead bull at 100 yards with the identical load. I had a rock solid rest. Just no clue.

I’m baffled. That gun shot dead bull at 100 yards with the identical load. I had a rock solid rest. Just no clue.

Was there anything different about how you shot in the field vs. how you sighted in? Dirty barrel sighting in and clean barrel shot at the doe? Ramrod in/out in both scenarios? Just sounds textbook high hit.

Was there anything different about how you shot in the field vs. how you sighted in? Dirty barrel sighting in and clean barrel shot at the doe? Ramrod in/out in both scenarios? Just sounds textbook high hit.

Dirty barrel and no ramrod on range. Clean barrel and ramrod hunt.

Dirty barrel and no ramrod on range. Clean barrel and ramrod hunt.

Not saying that is the difference, but I'd clean it and go out and shoot a target with it set up exactly like you shot tonight just to double check. I'd hope that wouldn't make that big of a difference, but you never know.

Not saying that is the difference, but I'd clean it and go out and shoot a target with it set up exactly like you shot tonight just to double check. I'd hope that wouldn't make that big of a difference, but you never know.

I’ll try that tomorrow when we look for her to see. Thanks.

It sounds like an above spine shot but the no blood is weird. I've said it in other threads but I prefer to shoot with a dirty barrel as a clean barrel with my gun shoots off a bit. So when I'm hunting it will always be with a dirty barrel. The only other thing could be if your bullet didn't penetrate the shoulder. I had that happen with a 20 gauge once

Top Bottom