Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Clover in food plot

Keef

My farm is in NE MO. I won't be able to get back to it until late May. I want to plant 2 acres of clover but am concerned it's too late. If we get adequate rain I'd be less concerned. What do you think? Thanks.

Why don't you just wait until September and do the Cereal Mix with Clover what is there now is it Dirt ?

I never had any luck with spring clover plots. I have 1/2" cracks now. Frost seeded clover in February. Still not growing yet. Probably won't. Will be doing it over in the fall.

I never had any luck with spring clover plots. I have 1/2" cracks now. Frost seeded clover in February. Still not growing yet. Probably won't. Will be doing it over in the fall.
Why do you think that is? I have great luck with spring clover. Always turns out better than ny frost seeded stuff.

Depends on: 1) soil (more organic matter or moisture & there's massive variations there) 2) Hiigher seeding rate helps in addition to adding an annual clover or possibly some oats.... Personally, I go heavy on a variety of clovers & do include an annual for variety of reasons - one being - annuals grow quicker & choke out weeds & deer love em. If I drill - not as critical. Go tear up a weedy seed bed mess.... Better go really heavy & use annual and maybe oats. 3) WEATHER. That's what gives ANY situation flexibility.... "hey, I planted beans July 4 & they did 50 bushels" VS "I planted beans May 15, didn't rain for 2 months & I got NOTHING!!! Same with clover.... Good weather, plenty of rain without scorching temps & you control weeds - no issue. A June & July like last year??? OUCH! Give it a whirl if you can handle the risks. Could be great, could bomb. 2 Variables above you can control, 1 you cannot.

That’s a great option or plan. I make the same choice many times too. Lot of reasons: EASY. U don’t care if deer pound em. Fix N. Feed deer & major nutrition. Perfect seed bed, done right, come late summer plots. Good luck!

Top Bottom