Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

cedar tree grass control

olafoggy

planted some small cedars whats my best option for killing grass around them besides covering and using roundup around each thanks

I probably should say..... ok.... u kill the grass - now weeds r gonna come up. U need 2-3 pre emergent sprays in there as well. Read up in tree planting section. Simazine, surflan, prowl h20, etc.

Depends on how many cedars you planted
OTC spruce.jpg
, but weed mats are a one time deal

I wouldn't be afraid of roundup either. Doesn't take much effort to spray away from tree and even if you get a lil on it, you aint killing a cedar with a little bit of roundup. Add some residual weed control in with it as noted above and you be all set.

I transplanted 175 small cedars this year. Sprayed around them with R/U not knowing it would set them back some. They seem to have toughed it out and doing fine.

I transplanted 175 small cedars this year. Sprayed around them with R/U not knowing it would set them back some. They seem to have toughed it out and doing fine.

I doubt it was the roundup unless you really got a lot on them. First year trees are always half brown if they have any size to them. By next year, they will look like they always belonged

To be honest, I've never worried about grass control around cedars! I spend way too much time killing them out of my warm season grasses to worry about protecting them when they are where I do want them. In my experience, cedars pretty much thrive on neglect. RU (on the green part) will do them more harm than a little grass!

This was cedars at last minute on a whim. I was planting while bro was moving em. He was too slow on some and I ran the big sprayer right over Some. Browned some out but be just fine. I do not like spraying trees growing. Or moving them while they growing. BUT - Trees with large root systems can take quite a beating. I sure don’t wanna push it or spray on purpose but things r tough. Getting rid of grasses - if u add pre-emergent cocktail will speed up growth. But-
Cedars grow in grasses pretty darn well to begin with. Just depends how much u wanna push em along. Heck- if a guy wanted to get crazy- fertilize em. Leaving them be with nothing should be sufficient on most of em. If I wanted speed em up- I’d work on the really small ones still trying to get established. Lil 8-12” ones.
038405e13be443eb9f7089a3836fa957.jpg
]
c3ed5c8c3c28781cbd45d96b121ec438.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I pretty well doused them, didn't think anything of gly hurting them. It even set back the established cedars in the fence row o_O
Hurting “foliage” on tree a lot different than tree taking it in & killing it. Will kill off new soft growth BUT energy in tree - if older & well established- will overcome it & put new growth on. Recover with some time.

Top Bottom