Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Roundup Ready Corn & Soybean Food Plot

Tried corn for the first time I put on 500LBS of urea per acre and 300LBS 6-24-24 so I should have close to 225 actual LBS of Nitrogen I assume that is ok. Then I sprayed 2 qts of Atrazine per acre. You guys can tell me. Also I was reading back Dual Magnum will work with corn and beans ? or is there another. I wanted to do beans as well but didn't have a pre emerge but I do have dual Magnum I used for a switch grass planting.. Thanks

Dual II (s-metolachlor) works on both beans and corn just fine.
With just atrazine on your corn- u pry gonna need to spray some weeds in there. Plenty of options. Ideally when u spray corn with atrazine - I’d add dual II & mesotrione. Can get em premixed as “Lexar” or one better would be acuron with a 4th pre-emergent. Of course u have post emergents that fit into this process too.
There’s a bunch more options for pre & post emergents too so that’s good news. Anyone can post ?’s if have any.
Ur fertility application is fantastic!!! That should be some dang good corn!!

Yea I have Dual II I should of read the label I just assumed because of it being safe with Switch Grass I assumed Corn only. Well learned something else today :) Thanks Skip!

What us the latest you would do Corn or Beans food plot . I have some extra seed was going to give it a try but I know we are getting late. I am sure rain and praying has a lot to do with it :)

Thanks

Can still do beans and be ok if rain. Corn will likely get smaller ears and be late to dry but who cares. So - a significant yield loss vs earlier planted. If we get good rains. One thing I personally have not done on corn but possible - is a short season or short maturity corn. I think my corn was 110 day corn. Could look at 70-80 day corn for example (whatever it is) but it’s got a host of downsides there. Cost being one. For u.... if u got the seed, ground and time, go for it. Good rains will at least leave u with some crops.

A couple of years ago we had a 3 acre plot that was standing water into the first of June. Eventually dried up enough to spray the weed crop, give it a few days, then mowed and disked. Because it was when we could make it work, I planted that plot to beans the morning of the 4th of July. Beans were short, matured only slightly later than others nearby, and if I had to guess, made something near 25 bushels/acre. Plenty good for a food plot, so I'd say go for it if you've got plots yet to put in.

Ok, Still working on the fence but I do have a little information on the planting. I purchased a 2 row JD 7000 no -till a few things to point out for others is Make sure you get heavier springs for down pressure as well it's a little light I need to figure out how to add weight had it almost maxed out on one plot and was somewhere between a 1/2 and 1 inch deep so no worries with beans there but for sure didn't do as well on another plot I had worked up back in April.

So lots of learning getting the planter level is a must also you need to get on and off checking to make sure you have your seed depth correct took me a bit to get it dialed in. Some seeds where still on top when I first started it was not cutting deep enough had to make adjustment 2 rows later :eek: The drive wheel should just touch the ground enough to rotate the drives not to hold the planter up when planting. That maybe some of my learning getting that correct. Not sure of I need to pull the planter to get it dug in then adjust the wheel ? Somebody has that answer :)

Skip was my wing man over the weekend answering all my question VIA text I think he's blocked me since !!!:D

I treated my urea myself since the areas I was doing I could not get a buggy into form the co-op the 2 products I found to do this was Agritain which is close to $400.00 fur a 2 1/2 gallon jug. My co-op actually had a product in bulk they use called factor they ran me off 2 qt's fur $50 bucks. I mixed myself with rake and shovel.. If you buy bagged urea and want to no-till this is what you need. It was so easy to just broadcast the Urea / P/ K and drill. I would probably mix differently next time this took me a while to get all the urea covered. Had to do it 50LBS at a time. But I did get it all coated.

full

full

full

Last edited:
Part 2 of the saga !!! My first planting was destroyed video reviled Raccoons.. They honestly destroyed 75% of the field it was unbelievable . I had 7 of them on camera at one time.. I hooked up the electric fence put out some Uncle Johnny's peanut butter with fire cracker jelly hoping something wants to ride the lightning.. :D

full

full

They pulled the plant out and eat the seed off of each one all the way down the row.. :(

Came up good in the few rows they missed. But wasn't enough to salvage so I replanted after I got the fence working.. Never though I would have Damage like that from Raccoons. War on Coons starts today.. I did a combo Plot and they never touched the beans which I thought was odd.

full

After replant !!!
full

My Combo plot with Real world beans was coming in great outside the Corn got crushed.... Ill keep you posted if the fence keeps out the coons.. I ran a low wire on first set so they would have to hit it to get into the plot... Roasted Coon anyone fur Supper !!!!

Yes!!!
I’ve gone to war on coons!!!! KILL KILL KILL!!!! Those suckers can do major damage. I won many battles but the war never ends!! Looking good!!! Rain & good luck and u will get some results for a deer plot.

on your planter.... If wanting the run no till and not mess with treating the urea you can look into fert boxes. I have insecticide boxes on my 4 row JD 7100 and they make conversion kits to turn it into a fert box. I may do that at some point.

...just an option to be aware of.

on your planter.... If wanting the run no till and not mess with treating the urea you can look into fert boxes. I have insecticide boxes on my 4 row JD 7100 and they make conversion kits to turn it into a fert box. I may do that at some point.

...just an option to be aware of.

So if I added this I could put out the full rate of urea needed this way at time of planting in the rows ? I do think next year I am going to get a buggy they have a 1 ton buggy and since I am doing smaller areas this will work fur me.

So if I added this I could put out the full rate of urea needed this way at time of planting in the rows ? I do think next year I am going to get a buggy they have a 1 ton buggy and since I am doing smaller areas this will work fur me.

I think that is the idea. Some playing around and calibration certainly required.

If u could get down around 400-450 lbs urea per acre - be nice. Dunno if u could get those insecticide boxes that high of rate & fill that fast?

If u could get down around 400-450 lbs urea per acre - be nice. Dunno if u could get those insecticide boxes that high of rate & fill that fast?
I know they hold over 50#. Certainly not for commercial ag application but for foodplots, refilling not too big of deal. Probably can get box extensions and hold a lot more

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Wouldn't putting that much in the row with seed cause an issue or No ? I thought that was bad and could burn or cause issues..

Ok, Still working on the fence but I do have a little information on the planting. I purchased a 2 row JD 7000 no -till a few things to point out for others is Make sure you get heavier springs for down pressure as well it's a little light I need to figure out how to add weight had it almost maxed out on one plot and was somewhere between a 1/2 and 1 inch deep so no worries with beans there but for sure didn't do as well on another plot I had worked up back in April.

So lots of learning getting the planter level is a must also you need to get on and off checking to make sure you have your seed depth correct took me a bit to get it dialed in. Some seeds where still on top when I first started it was not cutting deep enough had to make adjustment 2 rows later :eek: The drive wheel should just touch the ground enough to rotate the drives not to hold the planter up when planting. That maybe some of my learning getting that correct. Not sure of I need to pull the planter to get it dug in then adjust the wheel ? Somebody has that answer :)

Skip was my wing man over the weekend answering all my question VIA text I think he's blocked me since !!!:D

I treated my urea myself since the areas I was doing I could not get a buggy into form the co-op the 2 products I found to do this was Agritain which is close to $400.00 fur a 2 1/2 gallon jug. My co-op actually had a product in bulk they use called factor they ran me off 2 qt's fur $50 bucks. I mixed myself with rake and shovel.. If you buy bagged urea and want to no-till this is what you need. It was so easy to just broadcast the Urea / P/ K and drill. I would probably mix differently next time this took me a while to get all the urea covered. Had to do it 50LBS at a time. But I did get it all coated.

full

full

full
Is this treated urea the same thing as the 'coated' urea I get at the coop?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom